Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: baura ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 04:10PM

So Utah is famous for being home to lots of MLM schemes. But
more than that this article sounded way too familiar from just a
former Mormon's perspective.

See what I mean:

http://hustlebear.com/2010/04/26/how-multi-level-marketing-is-a-great-way-to-piss-off-your-friends-and-always-leave-you-poor/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ConcernedCitizen ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:36PM

...I think this guy could get a big-time job working for a Utah MLM....perfect fit, too.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102573733

Posted by: Clementine ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:44PM

You are so right, MLMs are so like being in Mormonism. And the reaction you get when you try to turn them on to facts is the same. That is so bizarre.

A friend of mine invited me to a party at her home for jewelry. It wasn't Cookie Lee, but the jewelry was similar in its cheapness. I went once, and felt very awkward. Next time she invited me, I made up some lame excuse why I couldn't go. Didn't hear from her since.

I went to your link and spent a good chunk of time looking around on the links they had on there, too. Not sure why, with the internet being what it is, people still fall for them. I guess it is the same for cults. People still fall for them, no matter how much information is out there to try to prevent that from happening.

It's important information to get out to everyone. Please research before flushing your money away. Thanks for doing your public service today.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:46PM

I have been exposed to several Utah based MLM scams. My Dad, in his final years and after he'd been financially broken in a real estate deal with a corrupt Mormon was easy pickings for Mormon MLM scum. My reaction to all of them is that they should all be taken out, shot and pissed on.

Ron Burr

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:41AM

I would reverse "shot and pissed on". Let 'em enjoy it while it's still warm.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 02:16PM

+1

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:27PM

I hate MLMs. A co-worker once talked me into joining Amway, and I was deceived and ripped off. One of my Mormon siblings tried to talk me into signing my house over to a guy who would cover my mortgage and make me rich. I'm not kidding. It pissed me off that she tried to get me to do that, and the house guy went to prison. Nobody benefited.

How are MLMs still a thing?

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:50PM

So what all qualifies as an MLM? Pampered Chef and Mary Kay? I got invited to so many of those it's ridiculous. My sister just went on a Thrive bender, ignored her kids, left them home alone for hours every day while she went and sold freeze dried food storage. Kept trying to recruit everyone she could, I told her no way in hell was I going to dump money into that scam.

Posted by: CTRringturnsmyfingergreen ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 01:32PM

I often see connections on facebook promoting an MLM in one form or another.

I immediately go and research the product and without fail, they are all based on pseudo-science. Every single one. If you this out to them, they get offended.

I always think, "If this is a legitimately good product, why not sell it through retail distribution?"

Why do you need to recruit me. We know the answer, of course.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.