Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 04:49PM

Our ward just figured out we are "inactive". 4 visits in the last 3 days. Wife resigned her Sunday school position on Sunday. Taught with the Bishop's wife. I and my son have not been home teaching and going very much. Daughter does not care for the YW.

We now have at least one visit a day. Cookies and people saying hi. Nice of them to notice us after 10 years.

At least we are getting cookies

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 04:51PM

I told the ward missionaries when I moved in that I was the spawn of Satan (atheist).

No cookies for me.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:24PM

+100

Posted by: siflbiscuit ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:06PM

What I love is when they ask if you are new to the area. No, jackass, I've been going here for 15 years. Thanks for pretending that fellowship is important.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:34PM

siflbiscuit Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What I love is when they ask if you are new to the
> area. No, jackass, I've been going here for 15
> years. Thanks for pretending that fellowship is
> important.

:) :) :)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:36AM

15 years is like yesterday. We've got roots in the city where we live back to 1641. Interestingly, we had a bishop (came from Utah) who discovered he had ancestry in the adjoining town! Funny thing. One of his ancestors was accused of being witch. (Note: she was not executed).

Posted by: truenomore ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 05:34PM

I believe out of every 10 I come across socially from TSCC that know me and notice I haven't been in over a year at least 7 look with a pained smile on their faces stating, " We miss you."

I'f I cared - which I don't - I'd respond with saying I live where I have for years and my numbers are the same --- if you miss me why haven't you called and invited me out for something....

They don't miss us. What they miss is our physical presence to reinforce their psychology.

"We miss you." See ya!!!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:32PM

shodanrob partially Wrote:
>
> We now have at least one visit a day. Cookies and people saying hi. Nice of them to notice us after 10 years.
>

Have you asked the people who never noticed you before why they're suddenly taking notice of you?

Date: April 21, 2015 11:04PM

Not worth my time. I am waiting until the EQ or Bishop call me for a PPI

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:05AM

shodanrob Wrote:
> Not worth my time. I am waiting until the EQ or Bishop call me for a PPI

At which point you do . . . what? (I'm truly curious, not trying to sound snarky or anything)

Date: April 22, 2015 10:13AM

Tell them we can do it over the phone because I am going to Texas Roadhouse this Sunday.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:47PM

The last time the home teachers came to my door a few years ago, I told them that I don't believe in fellowshipping. You could define the word askance with their facial expressions. I finally said the right thing, and I was honest about it. Unless you've got the one ring, don't give me that fellowship nonsense. They never returned to bag end.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 06:48PM by donbagley.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:20PM

Posted by: BadGirl ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:47PM

AHAHAHAHA

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:51PM

Oh yes.

Cookies make everything better :eyeroll:

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 06:52PM

I told the home teachers to stay away about 30 years ago. They took it personally....boo-fuckin'-hoo. Don't know who sicked them on us, but that ended it.

Ron Burr

Posted by: left4good ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:13PM

You don't really need to do anything. You're on their "hot list" right now. After a few weeks of not responding as they wish you would, you'll be dropped as they move on to their next target.

Just as I was too stupid to recognize when I was in their shoes, they just don't get that unless people see value, no amount of cookies and syrupy notes will get people to come back. And if you ever might want to come back, you know exactly where they are and you can find out easily when they gather for indoctrination sessions.

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:26AM

I agree completely. They will leave you alone soon.

Posted by: fortheloveofhops ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:53PM

Oh, how I wish that was true for me.

In my case, "no contact" means visits/contact at least 3 times a year. Once right before Xmas (tithing settlement timeframe? I have never, ever paid tithing.), once on my birthday (sometimes this is just a card in the mail; this year it was a plate of cookies and a card left on my doorstep where the cat got into it), and once within 4 weeks of spring conference. Occasionally, I get more visits than that. It probably depends on who the new "leaders" are, if there has been a change.

Thankfully, it is no longer multiple times per week lovebombing. But I hardly call multiple visits per year "leaving me alone".

This has gone on for the 15 years we have lived at this address. The last time they came by, they were handed a copy of the CES letter. Maybe that will finally do the trick.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:18PM

AT least you've been getting the nice kind of visitors. We did at first, but the longer we stayed inactive, the nastier the visitors became. They threatened us, that we would fail financially, if I didn't start paying tithing again. They threatened that I would get sicker. (I resigned playing the organ, because I was terribly sick, and they didn't like having to find another organist) My visitors were all men, in groups of two or three, and would usually come late at night. I wondered if they would have been as nasty if I'd had a husband. I was a single mother, and these men were very intimidating, well, bullying! They wouldn't use the doorbell, but would bang loudly on the door, and they would not stop banging, until I answered. I guess they knew I was home. If the doorbell rang, during normal hours of the day, I knew it probably was not the Mormons.

The only way we could stop this harassment was to formally resign, together as a family, and request NO CONTACT. Your bishop will read your resignation letter, as it is forwarded to him. Mormons still contacted us, anyway, and have over the last 7 years, I just say, "We're Lutherans, now. Goodbye."

As for fellowshipping, I like Truenomore's response.

When a Mormon says to my friend, "We miss you," my friend responds with, "Exactly what do you miss?" It is fun to watch how this puts Mormons on the spot.

Do they miss the friendly chats in the hallway, or during coffee time between meetings--oh, that's right, no talking in the hallways. No mingles.

Do they miss calling you on the phone to talk, meeting you for lunch or for a frozen yogurt, going on a walk around the neighborhood with you, going to a motive together, having you and your family over for dinner, even setting foot in each other's houses (for other than an assigned church activity) playing with you at the picnics and beach parties, keeping track on how each other is doing and how your children are doing, laughing with you, supporting each other in hard times, celebrating with you in your successes? This is what friends do--in fact even ONE of these things would have made been neighborly.

Exactly what do they miss?

Date: April 21, 2015 11:07PM

If they came late at night to my door with 2 or 3 men, they would be staring at my .40 Cal and I would kindly ask them to leave because they trespassing. Only sent women so far and when they know I am not home.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:31PM

The last time the elders came to my door I called through it and said, "Go away, I'm not interested." They asked me if I wanted them to take my name off the roll, and I answered, "That's for me to decide."

Pesky little buggers. They were snotty, brat mouthed 20 something missionaries. I wouldn't classify all missionaries in that category, but for those two the shoe fit.

They didn't come back!

Watch out for their fake sincerity. When your back is turned they'll target your kids.

Date: April 21, 2015 11:08PM

They already tried. I am well aware of their tactics

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 07:44PM

Hit up the next F&T meeting.

Go up and Say

"My beloved brothers and sisters. My family and I know where this church is. We have humbly and with much pondering and prayer decided another path. It is hurtful to us to be invited back by insincere methods. And my brothers and sisters, nothing on earth is more insincere or impersonal than the words "We miss you". Thank you for your time."

Date: April 21, 2015 11:09PM

You forgot to say those thing in the name of Jesus Christ...amen

Posted by: Donna ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:24PM

We get a yearly call to go talk to the Bishop. The Bishop had a list of things he didn't like about us. That was the last time we went.This year they heard my husband had surgery. We were called to go see the Bishop on the way home from the surgery.
My husband said no. Then the home teachers called he said no again. So the Elders called. You guess it he said no again.
He didn't want company when he had just had surgery. Its been 2 months and we haven't heard fron them. I wonder if they have our name on a check list to bug us every year.
Not once did they ask how my husband was doing or did we need anything.
I had visiting teachers come over and ask how do we get you back to church. I think they should be your friend. They don't want to do that. They just want your money.

Posted by: europa ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:24AM

I got lovebombed when I left 3 months ago. Lots of phone calls and invitations from people who couldn't care that I existed even though I'd attended the ward for 14 years.

Funny thing is I had to attend church this past Sunday as my stepdaughter had returned from her mission and wanted to visit us first, so she was giving a home coming talk. Anyway hardly anyone spoke to me. I sat there largely ignored except for one close friend who understands my issues.

Speaks volumes as to how superficial they really are.

Posted by: Ishmael ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:54AM

They are only bringing you carbohydrates to make themselves feel better. They tried to love you back! It didn't take!

They are off the hook for your inactivity.

Cult!

Posted by: lvskeptic ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:17AM

I have to say that donbagley does come up with some good lines, but this one was the best, and I think that y'all missed it.

<<Unless you've got the one ring, don't give me that fellowship nonsense>>

You are on notice that I am stealing it.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:31PM

Well worth stealing.

Put all of Don Bagley's great lines in a book, and you could start the world's fastest-growing religion.

Posted by: bornagainpagan ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 12:17PM

I have lived in my house for 18 yrs. A few weeks after moving in, the elders stopped by to invite me to church. I said absolutely not, I will not, please don't bother me again. Pretty much no contact since then which surprised me.

Then a few months ago a woman I'd never met showed up on my doorstep with a basket of goodies and coupons and a city map. She smiled a huge smile and said "We just wanted to welcome you to the neighborhood and let you know that if you need anything, you can just ask the relief society ladies!"

I said, um, I think you've got the wrong house.

"Oh No!! Are you Born Again Pagan girl?"

Yes I am but....

"Oh good! I brought you some information about the neighborhood, like where the gas stations are, and the grocery stores, and the public schools. I know it can be difficult when you are new to a neighborhood."

Um.....I've lived here for 18 years....

"Oh.....(blink blink)....um...(deer in headlights stare)...I was told you were new....."

I have lived in this city all my life.

I think you've got the wrong house or the wrong name, sorry.

(Shoves the basket into my arms and turns away....)"I hope you have a REALLY great day and welcome to the neighborhood!"
(Walks away really fast)

What the hell????? I talked to some neighbors about it. Turns out SHE was new to the "ward" and was given some tasks as a welcome....

It still makes me laugh.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.