Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Secular Priest ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 01:25PM

Green Tea and Iced Tea: According to the New Era, both green tea and iced tea are still considered tea and are against the Word of Wisdom.

So members get their info from Church Magazines and not top Guy. This is from current issue of The New Era.

Thoughts

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 04:03PM

Sugar is bad for you too... causes and feeds cancer cells besides inducing Type II diabetes and health and weight problems... but the Morgs will suck up those sodas by the cases and chomp on those sickening sweet. snacks by the barrel.. but tea and green tea will displease the Lord... the religion is so freak'in weird...

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 04:42PM

I know my very good friend (who passed away 11 years ago) drank different flavors of no caffeine tea. She was very TBM. She'd be shocked to find this ou.

Posted by: NeverMo in CA ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 10:58PM

cl2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know my very good friend (who passed away 11
> years ago) drank different flavors of no caffeine
> tea. She was very TBM. She'd be shocked to find
> this ou.

My TBM neighbor told me a couple of years ago (after I'd offered to make her some herbal tea), that she could not even drink non-caffeinated or herbal teas because of the WoW. I was surprised by that, as growing up as a NeverMo one of the few things I ever heard about Mormons was, "They aren't allowed to have caffeine." I was surprised that caffeine-free drinks were an issue.

Posted by: onthedownlow ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 05:55PM

same as caffinated soda or not. postum vs. coffee. a can of soda puts u in pancratic shock, nevermind carbs, meat, and all the obese members. Never fully agreed with WoW as a tbm.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 05:56PM

Section 89

1 A Word of Wisdom, for the benefit of the council of high priests, assembled in Kirtland, and the church, and also the saints in Zion—

2 To be sent greeting; not by commandment or constraint, but by revelation and the word of wisdom, showing forth the order and will of God in the temporal salvation of all saints in the last days—

3 Given for a principle with a promise, adapted to the capacity of the weak and the weakest of all saints, who are or can be called saints.

4 Behold, verily, thus saith the Lord unto you: In consequence of evils and designs which do and will exist in the hearts of conspiring men in the last days, I have warned you, and forewarn you, by giving unto you this word of wisdom by revelation—

5 That inasmuch as any man drinketh wine or strong drink among you, behold it is not good, neither meet in the sight of your Father, only in assembling yourselves together to offer up your sacraments before him.

6 And, behold, this should be wine, yea, pure wine of the grape of the vine, of your own make.

7 And, again, strong drinks are not for the belly, but for the washing of your bodies.

8 And again, tobacco is not for the body, neither for the belly, and is not good for man, but is an herb for bruises and all sick cattle, to be used with judgment and skill.

9 And again, hot drinks are not for the body or belly.

Verse number 9 is the basis for the ban on coffee & tea. "Hot drinks."

I wonder what it is about the temperature of the liquid that makes ghawd sit up nights worrying about us? And how come it is apparently okay to slurp hot soups? Is there a viscosity level; the higher the viscosity, the higher the temperature can be? Which makes no sense...

Why didn't ghawd make it a bit clearer? Because when one does a cold read, the proscription is against heat, not the drink, its content, itself. No mention of a particular beverage (other than the previously 'suggested' avoidance of alcohol), just a generalized warning against 'hot' temperature.

Nothing, aside from alcohol, is mentioned (by way of suggestion) by ghawd to Joseph Epstein in this missive as being something to entirely avoid.

Of course the faithful are quick to agree that at the time the revelation was made, it was just a suggestion and that later it was changed into a very strict commandment because a prophet said so. No matter who it was, B. Young or Joseph F., at least that revelation didn't get tossed out when that prophet died.

It seems to me that ghawd plays fast and loose with the running of his kingdom on earth; it's almost as if the prophets were making it up as they went along! Probably just part of the testing process...

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 10:34PM

And yet, the church has reminded employees within the CES that printed articles in church magazines are NOT considered to be valid sources of church doctrine. I kid you not!

The rationale is that it[the policy] allows church leaders to dodge any potential problems from conflicting or changing positions on doctrine. It makes the church look stupid and I am glad that they regularly flip-flop on doctrine.

Date: August 14, 2019 11:40PM

as info for my R.S. lessons that I taught for 4 years. They give you so little info and then tell you not to use outside sources. I couldn't even use the conference talks out of it. But I used it anyway. Every time I gave a lesson, someone in the R.S. presidency would tell me not to do it next time.

I was trying to go inactive as it was and they wouldn't release me, so I decided I'd do whatever I wanted.

I just read an article out of the SL Tribune or Deseret News that includes vaping, marijuana and opioids unless prescribed by a doctor and it didn't seem to like the use of marijuana at all. They didn't just address tea. They also addressed coffee in a stupid fashion and alcohol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2019 11:41PM by cl2.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: August 14, 2019 11:08PM

The Word of Wisdom: a vague and ever-changing concept that is rigidly enforced.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 06:15AM

No green tea but coke is ok. And all because green tea has the word ‘tea’ in it. Green tea is good for you, Coke is not. All makes perfect sense as usual.

Posted by: shylock ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 08:56AM

How about iced tea or iced coffee... I live in Phoenix and this time of year we like our beverages chilled... does the sin meter go down a bit when you add ice?

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 08:57AM

Pretty sure I asked that once and I was told coffee was still a hot drink even when served cold. Yeah.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 10:07AM

Because to attempt to use logic would be to emphasize how illogical ghawd just happens to be.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: August 15, 2019 11:23AM

LDS lies-

In 2012, TMC (lied) [again] saying (I paraphrase, because they changed the wording again - including changing the website from lds.org to Jesus Christ... - never even announcing any of these facts, changes, or truths to the members themselves) CAFFEINE never was against the WOW ('word of wickedness').

"It is claimed that "most Mormons" feel that coffee and tea are prohibited because they contain caffeine. However, it is irrelevant what "most Mormons" claim as their reason for avoiding coffee and tea. The Word of Wisdom itself gives no indication of the reasons these substances are to be avoided—it only states that they should be. While avoiding caffeine is a legitimate reason for avoiding coffee and tea, it is not the only reason nor is it necessarily the reason the Lord had in mind in giving the revelation.

A study printed in the International Journal of Cancer recently reported these startling findings: Drinking very hot beverages appears to raise the risk of esophageal cancer by as much as four times. The researchers analyzed results from five studies involving nearly three thousand people. The study found that hot beverages did increase the cancer risk. The study provided evidence of a link between esophageal cancer induced by the consumption of very hot drinks.[8] Another report by Swiss researchers found that a component in coffee (chlorogenic acid) actually destroyed much of the body's thiamin after one quart of coffee was consumed in three hours.[9] Other reported effects of drinking coffee are more controversial and have yet to be firmly proven.[10] At any rate, it is clear that just because "most Mormons" avoid coffee and tea due to concerns about caffeine, the presence of the stimulant is not the only reason the Lord may have invoked a prohibition against these substances."

https://rationalfaiths.com/temple-recommend-status-word-wisdom-observance-contemporary-mormonism/

MOREmon BS
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/gospel-topics/word-of-wisdom?lang=eng

SO... Caffeine isn't a problem; it's "hot drinks", EXCEPT Postum, HOT chocolate, or herbal tea.

Hot, in those days, meant SPIRITS, not hot caffeinated and cold caffeinated beverages.

Dum dums

Date: August 15, 2019 12:51PM

in the article I read, it said that if you are getting a drink at a place that serves coffee, even if you have a cold drink, it may have caffeine. So wait a minute!!!! My daughter is also going to have to give up hot chocolate--the child who was drinking coffee drinks at age 12 with her friends.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.