Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 08:59PM

This is from a plaque at the Homol'ovi ruins in Homolovi State Park, Arizona:

"The mounds of this ruin exhibited no evidences when we began to work, of rooms above ground, although I was told that in comparatively recent times it had walls rising to considerable height, and that the Mormons, in building Sunset City, a mile away, utilized the stones from these ruins for their buildings." —Jesse Fewkes, July 1896, Smithsonian Institution Annual Report

Well, you know, after all, the buildings were made by the bad guys in the Book of Mormon, so it wasn't really desecration or anything like that for bearers of the Restored Priesthood® to repurpose the stones, right? I'm sure the Lord instructed them to do it. Yeah, that's it! There was a revelation! So it was perfectly okay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:32PM

This reminds me of the way ISIS is destroying ancient artifacts in the Middle East right now. It’s behavior like this, combined with my observations of my Mormon neighbors, and how they're always gunning to destroy my family without remorse, that makes me see little difference between Mormonism and radical Islam. I guess they just haven’t been pushed into a corner enough to start killing people yet. But I know my neighbor would do it in a heartbeat if our society was just a little more lawless than it is. Creepy. Too bad about those ancient ruins, what a shame. Thoughtless, self-important, ignorant … the adjectives from my mind could fill a page.

My apologies for my harshness, but this is where I unload my feelings when my LDS neighbors have been coming at me, which they've been doing again lately. So listen up church spies … you’re a hair away from being no different than ISIS. Wake up and smell yourselves. :/

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:36PM

I had to get out of the British Museum when I realized how much of the stuff there from ancient civilizations had simply been plundered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2015 09:37PM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:58AM

Sure, they had taken it from abroad. But at least it isn't falling into the hands of Isis or other militant iconoclasts.

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: April 21, 2015 09:57PM

When I see ISIS on TV smashing all that stuff up I'm just baffled. Ancient stuff that's gone now, forever. Grrr.

I bought a very old Tibetan prayer bowl (I have a bunch of them and I play a sort of jazz freestyle music on them for people when I feel inclined.) Anyway, this one bowl is very old, and you can tell it has been held in the palm and played a lot, for years, and years and years. The metal inlay has been worn nearly off where it rests in the palm of the hand, and around the edge where you rub it to generate the tone.

I'm certain it was an artifact pilfered from some lamasery in Tibet as the invading powers that be rolled through doing their plundering. I know people say, ‘then don’t buy it, it creates a market for it’, but it was already in the shop for sale, so I snagged it. At least it went to someone who knows how to play it, and uses it how it was intended, and isn’t just sitting like a decoration on someone’s shelf in the corner. Still, it should have stayed where it was and not been taken from its home. It’s obviously very old and well used and was likely in someone’s family or at a monastery for a long, long time. I hope they didn’t burn down the monastery it came from. I saw them on TV a few years ago beating the monks with sticks, so they probably did burn it down … after looting it first of course.

Now that old bowl is part of my set of singing ‘Jazz Bowls.’

What a world.

Posted by: IMout ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:22AM

I am interested in knowing what your neighbors are doing to you.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven Nevermo ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:33AM

I hate to defend mobots, but I am sure that any householders would have done the same thing, at that time.

All sorts of historic buildings all over the world have been dismantled to use the stone. It happened in the UK when the Romans up and left and has not stopped, since.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:02AM

In Sweden, you often see old Viking rune stones repurposed in newer buildings. Nice flat stones, why not?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.