Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carol ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 08:35PM

I posted the Link, but it seems to be banned here. So, I'll explain. She posted on a popular money begging site about how she needs funds for one that is over 1000. Their savings are low because she just visited her mom in the states who has open heart surgery. Another forum is discussing this extensively, with many people against her tactics.

I have mixed feelings about this. How about you guys?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: - ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 09:33PM

now if she were the corporation of the President of something or other... I'd be annoyed

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:08PM

I have to write a few reports during the month and prefer MS publisher, but other than that, I much prefer my $198 chrome book. Scale it back, Sis. I'm Entitled.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 10:43PM

Windows 8.1 is a horror. If I could convince people to buy me a Mac Book Air, I'd probably do it too. ;)

I think the secret to raising money from crowd funding sites is to keep a reasonably humble attitude about it. Kate will have to assess the plusses and minuses of how this effort went as she manages public perceptions and moves forward.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 12:10AM

windows in general is a horror, which is why I keep typing on this vista machine. *LOL*

Let the flaming begin.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 03:43AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> windows in general is a horror, which is why I
> keep typing on this vista machine. *LOL*
>
>
> Let the flaming begin.

OK here goes flaming: Micro Soft and Bill Gates pretty much deserve all the criticism directed at them (because they suck!)

Chromebook computers? -much less money than Windows PC's and by using one a person gets to have their bird finger stuck in Bill Gate's face..... hmmm sounds enticing !!!!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 08:16AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> windows in general is a horror, which is why I
> keep typing on this vista machine. *LOL*
>
>
> Let the flaming begin.

==========================================
No flames from this neck of the woods.
I'm a weird person, I know, and definitely a minority, but I have used Vista on a desktop for years with no problems whatsoever.

Posted by: shodanrob ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 09:11AM

LOL, dear God, you are using Vista? At least move to 7

Posted by: Eliza Snowjob ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:49PM

She is a well-educated, successful individual who could have easily put the purchase on credit and paid it off quickly. That's what most people do who don't have the resources to cover their expenses. I see no difference between her asking her followers for money for extravagant purchases and what the church does with their tithes. Either way, money that could have gone to the less fortunate is used to pad the lives of the well-off. I think it shows she is completely out of touch with the real world. I didn't have an opinion of her before, but now I do.

Posted by: Pista ( )
Date: April 22, 2015 11:58PM

Well, she's not promising exaltation or threatening hellfire, so that's different. She's straight up asking for money for a stated purpose. People are free to choose whether to give her the money or not. I imagine most people will choose not to give to her, as I certainly would not, but I don't think her request is in any way the same as the systematic con job that utilizes all the brainwashing and duplicitous tactics that go into tithing demands.

Posted by: Eliza Snowjob ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 12:13AM

I just think it's sad that the new trend in social media is the online equivalent of standing on the street corner with a sign. Especially when the sign holder is a privileged individual. Maybe those people who donated to her would have donated to a cancer ridden father or a single mom instead. Who knows? She does have the right to do it and people do choose to donate. That doesn't make it tasteful or classy. Just sayin'.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 05:36AM

I've seen Olympic athletes (in the sports that don't attract big sponsorship money) use crowd funding sites for their training expenses. Helping an athlete train for his or her sport might be viewed as a luxury as well.

To me, crowd funding is a new charitable model, and only loosely related to previous models. There can sometimes be a certain amount of self-interest involved in the request.

Posted by: ohdeargoodness ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 12:00AM

Well, she got about $200 over what she needs. I wonder if she'll just by a slightly nicer laptop or if she'll give the rest to charity.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 12:30AM

Uber tacky. Why, because she had five minutes of fame, and failed? Feel sorry for her because she was excommunicated?

Clearly, she is NOT a feminist. Boo hoo, I can't wait a few months and earn my own!!!

Really revolting. I'm embarrassed for her, and for mentioning her mother's surgery in the process. Congratulations! You're still acting like a helpless Mormon female. Go get re-baptized and take a number for polygamy.

Posted by: superman4691 ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 02:45AM

I second your thoughts.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 02:13AM

she's in Africa, don't know if she can hold a job there. Unless she is using her human right skills pro bono for the women there. she's just going to have to use laptop longer and save up for a imac. seriously an imac, why not a 600 dollar laptop won't work?

She shouldn't be asking for donations.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 03:36AM

She CHOSE to be in Africa. Nobody made her go. She could have stayed in the states and made plenty of money to meet her needs and wants. It's all about choices.

I know her husband is in Africa (another choice). However, lots of married couples live apart when circumstances call for it. Especially with no kids. My DH and I lived apart for a year( I took care of the 3 kids). We survived just fine, and I didn't have to beg for anything. I didn't have a high paying job or great education to keep the show going either.

It's called grow up and get responsible. Nobody owes you a new computer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 03:37AM by madalice.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 02:51AM

I agree -- tacky. It's playing on her 15 minutes of fame to fix her financial needs and throwing in her dad "to fly home to Utah to see my dad after open-heart surgery: as a sympathy card. Not cool! Reeks of entitlement issues.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2015 03:08AM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 03:14AM

If she had a few bucks for every blog entry she's written, she'd have that laptop paid for. She gave her fans an opportunity to "pay it forward" by giving her a tool for continuing to support Ordain Women.

Can you call it tacky? Maybe, but can anyone who spent years as an active Mormon really play the tacky card?

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 03:27AM

If she hadn't already reached her goal, I'd donate.

Many people think "lawyer = rich" or "famous = rich". She graduated from law school 3 years ago and moved to Kenya last year. She's new and inexperienced, and she's not working for a big law firm. She's working for an NGO in Africa, and it's not one that provides laptops, obviously.

Yes, it's an expensive laptop she's buying, but she's had her last one for 6 years. It would be nice if people who are focused on making the world a better place didn't have to concern themselves with computer learning curves and hardware problems. If she had had the money, she would have bought it herself, I bet.

Still, it'd be great if someone suggested she spend her tithing on it.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 03:45AM

So they made some bad job and financial choices. Not too smart if they didn't do the math before making the decision.

Maybe she should have stayed in the states and earned money to support her DH passion. Or, the other way around. They obviously couldn't both afford to live the fantasy. Why not ask the sibs, or the rents? Why is she asking everyone else? It's not like she's doing anything that's great or even memorable. In fact, what is she doing with herself while in Africa? Working for a non profit? Fine. They buy computers for employees all the time. Non profit doesn't mean poor.

Posted by: cupcakełicker (sober) ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 05:06AM

madalice Wrote:
> So they made some bad job and financial choices.
> Not too smart if they didn't do the math before
> making the decision.
>
> Maybe she should have stayed in the states and
> earned money to support her DH passion. Or, the
> other way around. They obviously couldn't both
> afford to live the fantasy. Why not ask the sibs,
> or the rents? Why is she asking everyone else?
> It's not like she's doing anything that's great or
> even memorable. In fact, what is she doing with
> herself while in Africa? Working for a non profit?
> Fine. They buy computers for employees all the
> time. Non profit doesn't mean poor.

Working on sexual violence laws in Somalia is neither great nor memorable? I guess she should abandon that fantasy then, and get a real job so she can buy herself a laptop. I hear corporate litigation's quite lucrative these days.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 03:51AM

That's a pretty good summary, but I wonder if she's really working for an NGO in Africa. No one seems to know which one it is.

She went to Africa because of her husband's PhD fieldwork in environmental science. I think she just wants to blog on the Ordain Women site.

Hey everyone, don't forget that Ordain Women is still going strong. Kate Kelly's excommunication shouldn't change anything from an ex-Mormon perspective. She's made some sacrifices for her own vision of public service, and there's nothing wrong with helping her out if you feel so inclined.

Posted by: cupcakelicker ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 04:33AM

Legal Action Worldwide is the NGO. There's even a job listing for a Legal Advisor, which is her position. "Salary will be commensurate with experience and position."

I'd say she's built up enough karma for the laptop. NGOs operating in the undeveloped world are hit and miss as far as compensation goes.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 06:19AM

Well thank you very much, Cupcake. I've always wondered about her resume and experience. As human rights go, she's building a good career and reputation for herself.

I think you're right that her compensation may be unreliable. It may even be nonexistent. That is, she may have gotten the job by waiving the salary because she's there with her husband anyway. But that's speculation on my part, simply because there's generally more money for science than for human rights education.

Posted by: lr2014 ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 04:38AM

Without addressing the fundraising issue- I would like to say that I enjoyed watching Kate and her group blind side the brethren.I also believe Ordain Women was perceived as a very serious threat by the church- hence, now women are more prominently featured in General Conference and large Firesides-giving opening prayers,conducting the Womens Conference etc. I wish her all the best.

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 05:04AM

Wow, women can say a prayer? Who knew a woman could do that?

The brethren wouldn't even meet with her. All her big followers didn't do a thing this past conference. I would say the brethren won. They scared the OW media woman into getting her rec back for a family wedding...

The church needs to be shut down for human rights violations: women, gays, protecting abusers, shaming children, fleecing the poor for tithing/funding temples/malls, dead missionaries, splitting up and interfering in families/marriages...

"Giving" fake priesthood power to women won't solve anything.

Posted by: cupcakełicker (sober) ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 05:35AM

OW sees the problem of young women being taught that they are second to men, and will always be second, as they can never hold the priesthood, except in some abstract sense where they receive it through their husbands. How many Mormon women have been beaten By a husband or father claiming priesthood authority?

OW's goal is to make women equal to men in the cult. Yeah, the priesthood's fake, but it's still powerful.

How many of us cut our losses and ran? I did. And how many stayed and fought, knowing they'd lose, against a system that has hurt millions of women over the past 185 years? Unless something big happens, the cult will continue to operate as it has since its founding. OW drew attention to the problem in the hope that future young Mormon girls would at least be better off than they have been so far.

Just think of it as a suicide attack. They lost, but the enemy is weakened and they're now martyrs to change.

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 05:38AM

I think that for any person who lives overseas who has to come up with thousands on the spot to fly home for a family emergency and then have your one source of communication die on you when you are away from home...and has the guts to reach out for help...should be helped regardless of who they are.

I've been in her shoes and it's scary. I don't care who she is...her dad just came through a very serious surgery, she's been attacked on levels only people who have left the church can EVER understand by Mormons and strangers alike as well as the top of the LDS church...if she needs a damn 1500 dollar computer and people have 5 dollars to help her out...then to me, human compassion says..."here's five bucks". When you are away from home and your world is falling apart the stress is terrible.

I personally am done hating on women...whether it's women trying to become President of the USA, or women who are standing up against the church, or women who are standing up in any circumstance. Regardless of a woman's politics, or anything else...I want to be part of the lifting up.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 07:10AM

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 09:12AM

This woman is a lawyer for F#@k sake.....
She should never ask for money...

Posted by: cwpenrose ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 09:31AM

Don't assume that any title equates to huge salaries. I've known lawyers, doctors and cpa's who made modest salaries. The reasons were all wide and diverse from - just starting out, being injured and just plain not working so hard. I do for a fact know this because I prepared their tax returns as I was their CPA.

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 23, 2015 09:51AM

However if you are a lawyer, you'd make far more reasonable salary than any tool_pusher....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.