Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Eliza R ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 07:21AM

Did you see Marie O.(and Donnny) on Sun am (CBS) yesterday? I guess it was publicity for her new stint coming up on a CBS talk show and for Donny's new album. I remember years ago how she told Dr. Oz I think that she had been abused as a child, and as a teen and in one of her marriages, too - although she didn't want to name names or talk about details of any of it publicly.

I find myself feeling a bit happy for Marie that she's managed to move forward despite all those issues, and for someone like Elizabeth Smart who appears to have a pretty good life, all things considered.

But also find it a bit disconcerting Elizabeth to showcase her family and kids on social media. Isn't that safety rule #1 - not to post pics of our kids online? Makes me think she still has that Mormon/LDS naievete (if you just get married and have kids, everything will be fine) without really dealing with the tough issues of recovery, belief, etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: 12345 ( )
Date: September 09, 2019 02:21PM

You have a point.

At the same time, Elizabeth may have in mind giving hope to survivors of abuse of all types. That Elizabeth has gone on to have a seemingly happy marriage and family, after all she went through, is indeed inspiring and may well give hope to others.

Posted by: Eliza R ( )
Date: September 10, 2019 02:13PM

You can give hope without putting photos and names online like hers are all over social media etc. Everyone knows that's not advisable for basic safety for both adults and kids but especially kids who are most vulnerable. Hello!!

Can't imagine what it'd be like to be a child of a "famous" Mo family - it means not only do you have yourself widely exposed to all sorts of Mo's worldwide (which the Mo parents would think is cool but imagine if you're not into it but your famous Mo parent is) and to the rest of the world, too as they tend to be constant publicity seekers needing their egos stroked continually.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.