Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 01:18PM

So much love for a man who probably has done nothing for them other than tell them they are not doing enough and taking their money.

https://twitter.com/nelsonrussellm/status/1172139147949043714?s=21

Honestly people. Have you showed such devotion to somebody who actually did help you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 09:18PM

Let's get real here.

Who else thinks that all of those birthday cards were sent by HIS immediate family?

Doesn't he have 10 or more children and probably 80+ grandchildren?

If he truly was a superstar, wouldn't he be showcasing gifts from people all over the world?

Date: September 12, 2019 10:21PM

I thought the same. I’m sure the large cards came from family. This guy is a real show off. I’m used to prophet’s who are more reserved but then past prophet’s weren’t addicted to Twitter.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 09:59PM

Mary Baker Eddy (Founder/Discoverer/"Beloved Leader" of Christian Science) gloried in the numerous, and often pricey, gifts her followers sent her. Expensive clothing, jewelry, all sorts of stuff. She even bragged about some of the more exotic gifts in her church publication.

It got to be an embarrassment, so she initiated a no-gifts policy. But only because of the bad press.

Date: September 12, 2019 10:25PM

People seem to have to have someone to worship. In today’s world it’s usually a celebrity or sports figure. It’s a niche. Even politicians have their worshippers. I guess some people just love to throw trinkets to cult leaders.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 11:05PM

My admittedly simplistic generalization is that this probably goes back to giving homage to the tribal warrior-leader, in hopes that he would protect you--or at least leave you alone. "Jizyah," payments like that.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 10:35PM

Looks like a ten year old with all his cards and shit-eating grin.

Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: September 12, 2019 10:45PM

Ah, but remember that this wasn't about Nelson, it was about how much Jesus loves Nelson more than all the rest of us! <sarc>

Oaks is still worse. Oaks brags about all the cards he gets, and then judges those cards people send him.

"Today it is difficult to find a Christmas card that features a religious image or a religious message. To illustrate that point, I analyzed the Christmas cards I received at my office and home a few years ago. There were many, so this is not a small sample. Significantly, my sample was biased toward religious images and words by the fact that most of the cards were sent by fellow leaders or members of my faith.

"I sorted the cards I received into three groups. In the first group I put the traditional cards — those with an overt mention of Christ and/or pictures evocative of the birth of the Savior. Only 24 percent of the cards I received were of this traditional character. In the second group were those cards whose pictures and visuals were not at all religious, but they did have the words 'Merry Christmas' to identify the religious origin of the holiday. This was the largest group — 47 percent. In the third group — comprising 29 percent of the cards I received—there was no mention of Christ or Christmas, and no religious visuals at all. These cards had words like 'Season’s Greetings,' 'Happy Holidays,' 'Peace in the New Year,' or 'Peace and Beauty of the Season.' A few were so daring as to refer to 'Peace on Earth' or 'Faith, Hope, and Love,' but none had any pictures suggestive of religion."

https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1735225

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 06:59AM

Someone should tell Oaks that people often get non-religious cards when they have friends, coworkers, etc. of different faiths and beliefs. I guess that all of his friends are Christian.

Date: September 13, 2019 10:04AM

I probably should send Oaks a Satanic card or two.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 13, 2019 10:10AM

leaders. Obviously someone else opened these OR like someone else said, these came from family members and so they knew who they came from. Now all the people who went by the rules they set up will think they can write to him, too. This is just a staged photo so people think he is SO LOVED. He just has this look on his face that never looks like a smile. Did anyone notice the most recent comment about who paid for this? The ones below were about loving the prophet.

Date: September 13, 2019 01:07PM

I am sure that comment will be removed. Can't have any derogatory comments or questions.

Posted by: Screen Name ( )
Date: September 14, 2019 07:44AM

How many trees were chopped down in order to wish this man happy birthday, since he was born?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.