Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 03:51PM

"For example, he said, consider the definition of marriage.

While many countries, including the United States, have legalized same-sex marriage, God has not changed His definition that marriage is between a man and a woman.

God has also not changed the law of chastity, he said.
And while the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles cannot change the laws of God, “we can adjust policy when the Lord directs us to do so. … Because the Restoration is ongoing, policy changes will likely and surely continue.”
President Nelson illustrated this point by addressing policy adjustments regarding those who identify themselves as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender (LGBT) and their children.
“Consider the policy announced in November 2015 related to the advisability of baptism for the children of LGBT parents,” he said. “Our concern then, and one we discussed at length and prayed about fervently over a long period of time, was to find a way to reduce friction between gay or lesbian parents and their children.”
Because parents are the primary exemplars for their children, leaders did not want to put young children in the position of having to choose between beliefs and behavior they learned at home and what they were taught at Church.
“We wanted to facilitate harmony in the home and avoid pitting children and parents against each other,” he said.
Thus in 2015, the policy was made to assist children and their parents in this circumstance, namely that children being raised by LGBT parents would not automatically be eligible for baptism at age 8. Exceptions to this policy would require First Presidency approval.
“The First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve have continued to seek the Lord’s guidance and to plead with Him in behalf of His children who were affected by the 2015 policy,” he said. “We knew that this policy created concern and confusion for some and heartache for others. That grieved us.
“Whenever the sons and daughters of God weep — for whatever reason — we weep. So, our supplications to the Lord continued.”
Church leaders also took note of LGBT parents who sought permission from the First Presidency for their children to be baptized, he said. In nearly every case where the LGBT parents agreed to teach their children about — and be supportive of — the covenant of baptism, the requested exception was granted, explained President Nelson.
“As a result of our continued supplication, we recently felt directed to adjust the policy such that the baptism of children of LGBT parents may be authorized by bishops without First Presidency approval, if the custodial parents request the baptism and understand that a child will be taught about sacred covenants to be made at baptism.
“We also determined that LGBT parents may request that a baby be named and blessed by one who worthily holds the Melchizedek Priesthood. …
“Finally, we also clarified that homosexual immorality would be treated in the eyes of the Church in the same manner as heterosexual immorality.”
Though it may not have looked this way to some, said President Nelson, the 2015 and 2019 policy adjustments on this matter were both motivated by love. “Because we feel the depth of God’s love for His children, we care deeply about every child of God, regardless of age, personal circumstances, gender, sexual orientation, or other unique challenges.”

https://www.thechurchnews.com/leaders-and-ministry/2019-09-17/president-nelson-byu-devotional-lds-marriott-center-160694?fbclid=IwAR2HAlAd9ilLM9Lc1ZE5ZQIWyAggzxQdwV1JOMFnxcTXtYwpY87_J3kinGk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 04:11PM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 17, 2019 03:52PM

Truth 2: Truth is truth.
“Some things are simply true,” President Nelson taught. “The arbiter of truth is God — not your favorite social media news feed, not Google, and certainly not those who are disaffected from the Church.”

Many claim that truth is relative and that there is no such thing as divine law or a divine plan, added President Nelson. “Such a claim is simply not true. There is a difference between right and wrong. Truth is based upon the laws God has established for the dependability, protection and nurturing of His children. Eternal laws operate in and affect each of our lives, whether we believe them or not.”

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 04:31PM

>> "“Some things are simply true,” President Nelson taught.

>> “Such a claim is simply not true.

In other words, "there's no need to worry your pretty little head about whats true, I will tell you what is true and what isn't."

How convenient for him and ridiculous for everyone else. Even as a little child, I hated this line of mormon thinking.....which is mormonism will tell you what to think.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 04:03PM

Posted by: stillanon ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 04:11PM

Exactly. Translation "Our first inspired revelation caused public scorn and loss of tithe payers" so, hopefully, this new inspired, softer revelation will help stop the bleeding.

Date: September 17, 2019 04:08PM

Truth does not require the world's largest army of salesmen to go out and peddle it door to door around the world. It just gets established naturally over time as bogus myths get debunked and wind up on the trash heap of history, along with all the other debunked bogus myths. Joseph's Myth is long overdue.

Date: September 17, 2019 04:14PM

Oh and we are more than apostates as ex-mos!

We are those that are disaffected from the church. There's a strong warning to stay clear of us. Lol

Hooray, I offend them!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 04:17PM by messygoop.

Date: September 17, 2019 04:49PM

Rusty says that the church leaders are unfairly criticized for holding firm to the "laws" of god and resisting social pressure to change. He also says that leaders are accused of being uncaring of others.

He brags that people don't want to hear the truth; that profits are rarely popular people (then mugs for the camera).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2019 04:50PM by messygoop.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 04:50PM

Date: September 17, 2019 05:06PM

Please enlighten me about this issue.

When had this become a serious issue that was so detrimental that a group of octogenarians had to tackle it in their time as church leaders?

When I was a child getting whippings at church because other children were misbehaving, where was the concern of the leaders?

I was told that I needed to try harder to behave and follow Jesus if I didn't want the wrath of my Mom upon me. (And there was plenty of verbal and emotional abuse heaped on by ph leaders. All of it was for my own good aka~ it's the lord's way to beat the crap out of you and make you suffer plenty.)

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 06:23PM

Did Russ REVERSE THE REVERSAL?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 06:29PM

Hey, regarding the laws of chastity, and one assumes, the related laws of marriage... Was the temple of Solomon used for marriage ceremonies, the eternal kind?

And if not, has Jesus had his weddings with all his babes redone, so that they're for eternity?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 12:51AM

>Hey, regarding the laws of chastity, and one assumes, the related laws of marriage... Was the temple of Solomon used for marriage ceremonies, the eternal kind?

According to Gramps the answer would be yes:
https://askgramps.org/who-was-mary-magdalene/
"But there is a glory yet higher than that, exaltation in the celestial kingdom. To achieve the status of exaltation, it is essential to be sealed in marriage to a companion for time and eternity. This is the highest ordinance of the gospel, and is essential for those who will be called to be rulers in eternity. It is unthinkable that the Savior would submit himself to the ordinance of baptism, but would not be sealed to an eternal companion, and the indications are that his eternal wives are Mary Magdalene, the other Mary and Martha."

Try getting current Mormon leaders to admit that. Although I do remember reading somewhere that they had dead dunked him, so they may have dead sealed him as well.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 09:06PM

If Mr. Nelson wishes to lead in consistent understanding & application of the Core principles/values of Christ-Like living (Honesty, Kindness, Respect, etc.) AND the sanctity of marriage, he can contact me...

Please consider this my respectful invitation.

For Mr. Russell Marion Nelson only, please: my email is public info here.

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 10:32PM

What!? Everything they do is out of love and compassion. When God told them to institute the policy, and they did it, it caused weeping among God's children. So they continued to plead and remonstrate with God on behalf of God's hurting children until, eventually, God told them they could change the policy. So they're saying that they are all that's standing between God's children and God's cruelty and inability to see that his policy proposals result in pain to his own children? I don't know about this God guy. Not only is he not omniscient, he is indifferent to the suffering he causes his children, and gives in only if begged enough by a cadre of old guys. What a religion.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 11:24PM

“We pleaded with the Lord to not have to be such unmitigated assholes. After years of petition, our prayers were answered.”

Posted by: TX_Rancher ( )
Date: September 17, 2019 11:55PM

How about Rusty says, "The definition of marriage should include unions between men and women younger than his daughter" lol.

I guess because it's a man and woman he's OK with it.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 02:05AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 18, 2019 02:10AM

http://mit.irr.org/1949-official-mormon-statement-on-blacks-and-priesthood

First Presidency Statement (17 August 1949)

The attitude of the Church with reference to the Negroes remains as it has always stood. It is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord, on which is founded the doctrine of the Church from the days of its organization, to the effect that Negroes may become members of the Church but that they are not entitled to the Priesthood at the present time. The prophets of the Lord have made several statements as to the operation of the principle. President Brigham Young said: “Why are so many of the inhabitants of the earth cursed with a skin of blackness? It comes in consequence of their fathers rejecting the power of the holy priesthood, and the law of God. They will go down to death. And when all the rest of the children have received their blessings in the holy priesthood, then that curse will be removed from the seed of Cain, and they will then come up and possess the priesthood, and receive all the blessings which we now are entitled to.”

President Wilford Woodruff made the following statement: “The day will come when all that race will be redeemed and possess all the blessings which we now have.”

The position of the Church regarding the Negro may be understood when another doctrine of the Church is kept in mind, namely, that the conduct of spirits in the premortal existence has some determining effect upon the conditions and circumstances under which these spirits take on mortality and that while the details of this principle have not been made known, the mortality is a privilege that is given to those who maintain their first estate; and that the worth of the privilege is so great that spirits are willing to come to earth and take on bodies no matter what the handicap may be as to the kind of bodies they are to secure; and that among the handicaps, failure of the right to enjoy in mortality the blessings of the priesthood is a handicap which spirits are willing to assume in order that they might come to earth. Under this principle there is no injustice whatsoever involved in this deprivation as to the holding of the priesthood by the Negroes.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.