Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 09, 2019 06:08PM

Just in case the Feds start to require proof of charity uses for religious entities to claim and maintain tax free status, temples could claim they take in elderly and dementia patients for daycare purposes. It's almost true. The volunteers could just herd the patients through the temple all day and they wouldn't remember how many times they had gone through. Dementia patients wouldn't get bored because they wouldn't remember any of it.

" Stand up. Sit down. Turn yourself around. That's what it's all about. Now do it again brothers and sisters" Plenty of low stress exercise and visual stimulation. I bet it might catch-on.

It's a WIN-WIN. It takes dementia patients out of the home for 8 to 10 hours so exhausted family members or caretakers get a rest and LDS, Inc. can claim hundreds of souls in heaven will be sealed as families for eternity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Engram Released ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 05:36AM

Wouldn't really work at the veil though.

Posted by: LJ12 ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 03:08PM

It’s already being used as this. Just take a look at the temple workers and you’ll see what I mean.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 03:36PM

Pretty much. I think a lot of them temple ushers looked half dead already.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 06:38PM

Beat me to the punch. Yes, it already is an elderly day care. That said, there are many elderly people whose life has some meaning solely because of the temple work they do. Sure, it's meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but it means something to THEM. It was really all my grandmother had and it gave her something to do. I wish my mother had a temple really close and could do that once in awhile. Especially since she still pays her dues and gets her club pass.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 03:09PM

Then what would they use the COB for?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2019 03:09PM by Lot's Wife.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 05:00PM

My father was released as a temple worker and called as a patron. My mother drops him off at the temple several days a week and he "works" there.

He has dementia.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 02:43AM

I never thought of this!

It would work, even at the veil, because someone is there to tell people the right words to use, and show them the handshakes, and help pronounce the names of the dead people.

No wonder adults are thrilled when old Mom and Dad move to St. George, or wherever, to be next to a temple! It keeps them busy, and the adults can live their own life, with their own kids. The old people feel that they have a purpose, and that they are doing good works. They can even take a nap in the temple, as many do. They can have one balanced meal a day in the temple cafeteria. They can go to the temple in carpool groups. It's something a husband and wife can do together as a couple. It's also handy, if an old person has a retired spouse that is restless and pesky around the house. I know couples that can't drive, but live within walking distance of the temple.

--My ex sister-in-law in St. George, who has OCD.
--Her husband who likes to nap in the afternoons, after his daily golf game.
--Old people who are on pain killers.
--Old people on downers, like valium or Vicodin, like my brother's wife.
--My cousin who's husband is abusive, who never had children or a job, and who just wants to be left alone. Her never-Mo husband can't go into the temple!
--Old folks who like to travel and brag about all the places they go, but are too sick or tired to go on strenuous tours, or who don't want to mix with the locals, or who are afraid of diseases and bad food, etc. Stay in the hotels at night, and go into the temples all day.

I do wonder, though, if the mind-numbing temple repetition causes dementia, or if temple-lovers already have dementia in the first place.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 11:16AM

exminion Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do wonder, though, if the mind-numbing temple
> repetition causes dementia, or if temple-lovers
> already have dementia in the first place.

I don't know but I think it is a comfort to my father. The repetition of a routine to pass the day.

At least I've found one thing positive about their temple.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 11, 2019 02:48AM

If your elderly parents insist on going with you on your trips, you can drop them off for a long day at a temple anywhere in the world! It's a global religion!

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 12, 2019 01:32AM

One of the things about the temple that stands out for me is how well controlled it is. In my mom's skilled care unit there are never enough people to supervise the dementia patients so they wander into other resident's rooms, make a mess in the dining room, annoy visitors who aren't sure what is wrong with them, or have to be hunted down if they are good at hiding.

In the temple, nobody is allowed to wander into the forbidden regions. There are eyes everywhere. Wandering is allowed but they are good at herding patrons to where they want to them. And the temple workers don't get paid so you don't have to worry about wages going up to the point that you cannot afford them attending. In skilled care the fees go ever higher and most of the cost increase is for wages.

Of course, patrons have to pay 10% to qualify for entrance but a dementia care unit costs, in most cases, much more than that.

If more Mormon families took their dementia diagnosed family members to the temple every day it would either catch on as a true charitable use of temples or else cause enough disruption that temples would have to close their doors. That's a WIN-WIN in my book.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.