Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonyXmo ( )
Date: October 05, 2019 10:23PM

what are the implications?

----

Young men presidencies at the ward level will be discontinued. A bishopric is currently the presidency of the Aaronic Priesthood in the ward, which is the organization for young men in the church. Bishoprics will also have closer association
with the young women of the church.

The youth changes reiterate President Nelson’s teachings that “(the bishop’s) first and foremost responsibility is to care for the young men and young women of his ward.”

A new “Young Women theme” was introduced to help all young women “gain unshakable faith in the Lord, Jesus Christ,” according to Sister Bonnie H. Cordon, Young Women general president. It puts the focus on each individual’s relationship as a daughter of heavenly parents and as a disciple of Jesus Christ. (See accompanying story).

Class structure changes for young women were announced. The names of Beehive, Mia Maid and Laurel as class descriptors will be discontinued and classes will be established by age and referred to simply as young women classes. Different age groups can be combined if there are few young women as there is great flexibility for wards (congregations) to meet the needs of young women around the world.

No matter how young women are organized into classes, each class will have a class presidency.

Melchizedek Priesthood quorums and Relief Societies, the adult organizations of the church, will have greater responsibility for missionary work, temple and family history work and in ministering to ward members under the direction of the bishop.

Relief Society presidents and Elders Quorum presidents may take a greater role in counseling adult members. Young Women presidents may take a greater role in counseling young women. A bishop maintains his role as a “common judge” on ecclesiastical matters and the organization leaders work under his direction.
Church stakes (a stake is a group of congregations) will have Young Men presidencies. Young Men presidents will now be a part of the stake’s high council, a group of 12 advisers to the stake presidency. The Stake Sunday School president will also be a member of the high council.

The word “mutual” will be retired and replaced by simple references to Young Women activities, Aaronic Priesthood quorum activities, or youth activities that will be held weekly where possible.

The term “auxiliary” will also be retired in favor of a more generic term, organization.

Changes will be made by Jan 1, 2020.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: October 05, 2019 10:59PM

It's a time of great revelations!
Well not really, just some more administrative changes to convince the faithful that wonderful things are happening in the church.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 12:28AM

...and to convince the faithful that TSCC is growing and not, in fact, shrinking.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 05, 2019 11:40PM

It’s amazing that they continue to believe that there is some magical arrangement of the deck chairs that is going to steer them away from the iceberg.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 02:17AM

+1

Posted by: wowza ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 09:08AM

This does seem like a lot of rearranging without much actual change.

The product hasn't changed and that is there main problem.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 10:03AM

They already hit the iceberg. Now the hull in slowly flooding. Better get the tab singing “Nearer my God to Thee”.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:43PM

They are rearranging their glowing rocks in their Jaredite barges.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:19AM

So many changes, with names especially. "Home Teachers" and "Visiting Teachers" gone, replaced with "ministers." Boy Scouts were given the boot. No more Mutual? And now, Laurels, Mia Maids, and Beehives also gone?

So now they're "CHRISTIANS?"

How many MORMONS will be saying, "This isn't the church I knew?"

Edit: Did Nelson hire the same consulting firm that introduced "New Coke?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 01:22AM by caffiend.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 04:01AM

Bingo! They will be ministering Christians. Looks like the church is attempting to run from it’s past.

Posted by: .Korihor... ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:21AM

They are loosing their kids (youth) and don't have a clue what to do .....

Posted by: pearlyeverlasting ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:33AM

I have faith in the new generations that are all wifi connected.

They will find the way, the truth, and the light. Rusty isn't a source for any of that.

The old men that should be spending time with their families are instead going to bring the mormon cult down with their arrogance.

So it began, and so it will end.

Date: October 09, 2019 11:34AM

pearlyeverlasting Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The old men that should be spending time with
> their families are instead going to bring the
> mormon cult down with their arrogance.

Now is the days of their powers. They rule from The Great Salt Lake to Red Rocks of Dixie!

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 01:59AM

They've consolidated the Mormon youth.

Instead of a ward having 3 Laurels, 1 Mia Maid, and Zero Beehives, they will have 5 "Young Women". Only one leader necessary.

Didn't they already do that with the boys, already? Like, no separate deacons, or priests, or high priests--they all consolidate with the Elders, or something like that? Only one elder's quorum president needed for the entire group.

No ward Sunday school superintendent needed, right? No ward young men's president? These positions will be on the stake level, one per stake, correct?

Yes, they are definitely creating fewer leadership positions to be filled, and are definitely accommodating for fewer active members, especially the youth. I'll bet there were hardly ever enough to fill one Scout troop per ward, and in our stake, not enough for a stake Scout troop, either.

Edit: Did Nelson hire the same consulting firm that introduced "New Coke?"--Caffeined.

I have been wondering the same thing, myself, and it's fun to have someone agree with me, Caffeined.

Date: October 06, 2019 04:02AM

Spot on! The single young adults are bailing.

Posted by: jay ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 03:36PM

i thought you said balling

haven't heard that in a while

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2019 03:36PM by jay.

Date: October 10, 2019 12:02PM

The believing single young adults are balling for their lord. Bringing in their sheaves of printed paper.

Date: October 10, 2019 03:29PM

jay Wrote:
> i thought you said balling
>
> haven't heard that in a while

More of them are balling than you would think.

Date: October 11, 2019 11:19AM

There is a loophole in Mormonism?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 07:12PM

You are right. That is the problem. That along with the fact that the leaders are just SO fukin old and don't get how much harder it is for the kids now to pay 10% of their income and pop out more than one or two kids, than it was in their day. It was 70 years ago that they were young married and trying to get an education and start their families. It was even a lot easier for us 40 years ago.

That was when the cost of living compared to wages was so much less, even though wages were less. The GI Bill that WWII, Korean and Vietnam era vets went to school on was enough to pay tuition, and housing costs for a family. Financial aid for college was plentiful and easy to pay off after graduation. It was easier for women to stay at home with kids.

Not that way now. So the youth today want to know that if they are giving up that money, they really are getting something for it. The only thing the leaders are telling them that is the truth is that if they want to keep their testimonkeys, they'd better not look at the information at their fingertips that doesn't come from the "Ministry of Truth." So they're changing the focus to Christ Christ Christ. It's not the geezer brigade, it's not Mormon, Inc., it's not Joseph's Myth that is telling them what to do. It's Christ. You don't want to look at that stuff and offend Christ do you? They know once someone goes down the rabbit hole, they and their money are gone. Their desperation shows with every change.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 02:10AM

Yes, the church is shrinking, and the leaders are scrambling to cover that up.

The missionary program is failing miserably, so the cult is having the members take on the role of missionaries. They need more new recruits! The missionaries and "ministers are also going to be responsible for keeping members from bolting, and for trying to bring ex-Mormons back into the fold. Good luck with that.

Maybe we are going to be the generation to enjoy watching the demise of the religious branch of LDS, Inc. (The business branch won't fail, unless LDS, Inc. loses its tax-exempt status.)

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 11:19AM

The LDS business branch is very vibrant and is not tax exempt. It is run by the presiding bishop as a seperate enity.

Its board members and stockholders are heavily populated with mormon royal names.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 02:31AM

And to think that I had just watched the initial satellite broadcast for the missionary media blitz "Together Forever". I think the church lucked out getting tremendous growth from 1986-1993.

I like watching the leaders trying to shove the toothpaste back into the tube.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 03:14AM

It seems that the leaders are responding to two things -- a church that is shrinking in many areas, and the increasing willingness of members to say no to callings.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 03:49AM

Agreed.

The church used to struggle to create new jobs so that everyone could be involved, now it struggles to eliminate jobs so that people don't have to play too many simultaneous roles.

The car is in reverse.

Date: October 06, 2019 04:09AM

They are trying to hold onto what they got. They don’t have a clue.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 05:17AM

“Young men presidencies at the ward level will be discontinued.”

How does this fit with the emphasis on temples? Young women will still be programmed to marry in the temple (to an RM) because it’s the only way to have their forever family. The only way to get new Mormons is to make babies.

That will be a little tough without male Mormons, unless they bring polygamy back. Still, the church is a filter. The boys who go all in on Mormonism are exactly the kind of guys you don’t want to marry.

The church is led by brain dead morons. Their formula for growth is broken, so they double down. Amping up missionary efforts? Won’t work, too many people know about Mormonism. The name change will only fool an investigator for so long. Growth through reproduction depends on millennials who can’t find temple worthy husbands.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 06, 2019 08:56AM

How are they going to distinguish. I thought they got rid of "mutual" a long time ago. The younger kids have never heard of it.

So the girls will be the 12 year olds, the 13 year olds, etc., or they'll just be the girls, and the bishopric will be more involved in the girls' lives? HUH? Are you kidding? They were plenty involved when I was a kid. Are they not now? We didn't have just yearly interviews. We had 6 month interviews with one of the counselors. Those interviews were much better. No sex questions from the counselors (well, at least the ones I remember).

It will just be confusing and people will use the same names so as not to have to explain every time they state something or not as my daughter is hell bent on calling them ministers.

This is HUGE.

Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:23PM

Did they get rid of high councils aswell?

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 03:11PM

Oh hell no. Gotta stroke those egos.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 02:35PM

photos poking fun at the things that happened at conference. One was a guy sitting on a bench in deep thought and his thinking was, "How many times have I been released from my calling in GC?"

As TBM as she is, I would be surprised if old Rusty and Wendy wouldn't be offended by what I saw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 02:36PM by cl2.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 03:05PM

Everything changes in Morland;

Remember the emphasis that Hunter put on families?

'Families are forever' is gone now, no one remembers it.

Hunter said that families are MOST IMPORTANT of all, I think he was shunned / reprimanded for that, it quickly became lost/forgotten.

Their 'Proclamation' today is sounding like the legal department wrote it, nearly completely mumbo-jumbo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2019 03:09PM by GNPE.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: October 08, 2019 03:20PM

They need to put the fun back in if they want to keep the youth active. YMCA membership costs less than tithing and has a pool lol. My tbm cousin who leaves near me is not happy about the church stopping the scout program. She is a homeschooling mom of 7 and she misses the churches social aspect the monthly Relief Society activities and so on.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 10:27PM

subeamnotlogedin Wrote:
> They need to put the fun back in if they want to
> keep the youth active. YMCA membership costs less
> than tithing and has a pool lol.

What, the baptismal font doesn't count?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 10, 2019 03:25PM

youth 'presidencies':

shaping chosen, usually with well-connected parents to be the future Type A.

Hey! the president, (or counselor in absence or with permission) gets to decide who will recite opening & closing prayers, that's about it, right?

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: October 14, 2019 07:39PM

The youth programs don't seem to be going well. A couple weekends ago my daughter's school took a weekend field trip. On the bus was a conversation between three or four seminary-going students and one non-mormon and one atheist. The non-mormon explained the essential point of her religion and asked the Mormon kids the essential point of theirs. They didn't know. They ended up arguing over whether the statements they made were rules promoted by God, Jesus, or Joseph Smith. They went around and around talking about the pre-existence, that earthly life was a test--they couldn't answer to the objection that "it's a test" makes God a cruel prankster--and other confusing and convoluted tales. Conversations like this, with the objects of missionarying asking curious, good-faith questions, will wake up the critical thinking skills of the youth enough for them to wonder why none of their explanations of anything make any sense.

One student confessed to my daughter that he goes to seminary every day but he's got no idea what they're talking about. Another seminary-going student told my daughter that the first kid's the most active Mormon anyone knows. This kind of circling confusion is nowhere near sustainable and is nothing like the seminary students of my school days.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.