Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Midnight_Ran ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 03:59PM

I recently came across a description of the Latter-Day Seekers, a Community-of-Christ-sponsored organization that is actively seeking Mormons who are questioning, transitioning out, or are otherwise disillusioned with TSCC.

What's the general opinion in this reddit of that group and their activities?

Link: http://latter-dayseekers.org/

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Midnight_Ran ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 04:02PM

And my apologies for quoting "Reddit" here. I copy-and-pasted the question in both forums without bothering to edit. My fault.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 05:52PM

Just like the rest of them. They are simply selling another worthless "faith" product.

What's your opinion?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 08:05PM

A bunch of people who fully and completely believe that the con-man Joseph Smith "restored the gospel?"

I think they're as ignorant as the LDS without the polygamy, which in itself is a denial of facts (the CoC claims Smith never practiced polygamy, which is flat-out false, and blame it all on Brigham Young).

Posted by: Janel ( )
Date: October 16, 2019 07:12PM

Actually, CofC now acknowledges that Joseph Smith practiced polygamy. Some members consider Smith to have been a con-man. They have moved from believing in the one true church concept to a belief that "the church" is not a single denomination or sect. Some believe in the Book of Mormon, others do not. The Bible is the foundational scripture.

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 08:16PM

I hear that the Apostolic United Brethren (Fundamentalist Mormon group) are looking to do something similar.
But I've heard of plenty of mainstream Mormons that converted to that church.

http://52weeks52churches.blogspot.com/2014/05/my-surreal-visit-to-apostolic-united.html

Posted by: AnnyH ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 04:17PM

CofC is in financial trouble - big time. How better to boost their "giving" than enticing well trained Mormons to become part of their financial assets. Seekers is a program based on deceit and lies. Beware.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 04:38PM

Aren't these the old Reorganized LDS folks that later renamed themselves and suffered a series of rifts and splinter groups after the gave the priesthood to women?

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 05:50PM

It's all the women's fault, just kidding.... The COC also said the BOM is historical fiction, but a really good book non the less.

It would be interesting to research that question though, if letting women into leadership pisses off members of churches. I would say that it certainly does. The Anglicans and Presbyterians did this doctrine switch a few years ago and let Lesbians be pastors too. It pissed off the conservatives Christians big time!

Here is an interesting discussion with a female pastor from Jesse Lee Petersen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adfp_W0ivoc&t=158s

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: July 18, 2018 07:50PM

My daughter and I know several couples who belong to that group. They have definitely "invited" us to join them, so I think they do recruit.

These couples, in my opinion, are still Mormons. I thought it was just a poly to reactivate the inactive and resigned ex-Mormons. They pretend to be open-minded, liberal, and free, but it is the same old Mormon garbage with a fresh spin.

No one can build anything beautiful and worthwhile, if the basis is a pile of stinky garbage. Whatever group is based on a cult, and keeps some of the same doctrines and superstitions, is still a cult. You can't put lipstick on a pig.

Several years later, the couples are not friends with us, and they are still attending their mainstream Mormon wards, along with their kids. It was either short-lived, or it was just another hoax. I believe the latter.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 09:37AM

CoC is raiding the mormons ! *LOL*

Posted by: AnnyH ( )
Date: July 19, 2018 12:23PM

LOL! Yep.
They actually have classes and workshops with congregations willing to go along with and be part of the "Seekers" program, teaching Utah Mormon "language" (whatever that means), and, in my opinion, how to manipulate liberals into the CofC.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.