Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 07:56PM

I have a question:

If a member is denied a TR in one ward or stake... but then moves to another (or leadership is changed), is there a notation on the member's record that s/he was denied for x reason, thus preventing a run-around deal where the next leader(s) are in the dark about what might have been a Very Serious matter?

'asking for a friend, ha ha'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 08:25PM

and he confessed and worked with the bishops and SP in the singles ward, not one bishop after we got married knew he was gay. The one he was ex. sec. for was devastated when my husband left me, as was his wife. That was over 20 years ago and they still aren't over it.

Date: October 22, 2019 09:09PM

Ok; 2 things:

-did he apply for a TR when leaders knew or he divulged that he is (was) gay?

- was he (others?) denied bc they're gay?

(in general) has this changed in/out to-from a kinda Don't Ask Don't Tell?

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 09:58AM

and he knew of all of his past including something that occurred 6 months before we got married. He flew through the TR interview.

I, otherwise, was grilled by my cousin because he "sensed" there was something I was hiding, which I was, but it was that I was marrying someone gay. I had been told not to tell anyone he is gay especially my parents. Couldn't tell my cousin! I had moved home to get away from the situation as he had been trying to decide to get married for 18 months and I was dating someone else fairly seriously. Then he decided to get married and I said yes, even if I was completely broken. So I had to get my TR from my cousin, who is and always has been a total ass (and his mother agrees--she and I were good friends). He knew I was hiding something and wanted to postpone my wedding. He made me feel like a piece of shit. AND I was the clean and pure one.

Hell.

The bishops of the married wards we were in did not know he is gay. So it obviously wasn't on his record. He started cheating 2-1/2 years into the marriage and lied through his TR. He went to the bishopric nights at the temple and I chose not to. I hated the temple. He lied for me every time. He is still angry at me about it--some 25 years later. That he had to go alone and lie for me. ha ha ha ha He still can be caught buying into mormonism. Can't seem to separate his brain from it.

Many of his gay friends had TRs. One of his friends from REXBURG and he has known all his life is still with his wife, cheats ALL THE TIME. He has been in bishoprics, was at our temple wedding and he had been sexually active with men recently, went out and had sex with a guy the night before his temple wedding. He can't understand why we no longer believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2019 09:58AM by cl2.

Posted by: Annon1 ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 09:10PM

The bishop can do a couple of things. One, if the member moves, the former bishop can flag the record to have the new bishop contact him so they can discuss any issues. Two, the bishop can flag the membership record to prevent it from being moved until any issues are resolved. Its also common practice for bishops to contact each other if a member moves into a new ward and wants a temple recommend after only being in the new ward for a short period of time.

Date: October 22, 2019 09:23PM

with the (still current?) 2 yr renewal period, not so much an issue...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 22, 2019 11:57PM

Church records are far from perfect.

For 10 years after my wife's passing I periodically find notes from the visiting teacher on my door.

One day a guy shows up and says he's the home teacher. I asked who he's visiting and he says he doesn't know the name, they just gave him an address.

One day these "gentlemen" show up and start spouting off in spanish. I told them I didn't speak spanish. They just repeated themselves louder. I slammed the door in their faces.

They went next door and pounded on the neighbors door. I listened in because I knew the lady next door was home alone as her husband worked late.

The "gentlemen" asked her in perfect english when the lady next door that spoke spanish would be home. She told them no lady what so ever lived at my address. The "gentlemen" persisted and she slammed the door in their faces.

Posted by: Cucaracha ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 07:25AM

„¡Mi aerodeslizador esta lleno de anguilas!"

Date: October 23, 2019 12:39AM

After moving back (AGAIN!) To Seattle (about '08), wife & I were both out, me an ex, her not active.

Once we got a note stuck in the screen door, I called Bp & told him NO CONTACT.

he stuttered as if He'd never had this request, when he recovered he said: 'Well, OK, I'll try to contact all the people in all the orgs'...

It's not easy for them to honor a DNC request.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 01:18AM

I'll tell you my tale.

I had promised my mother we would go together to a temple dedication. While the temple was being built I became inactive and had not been to a single sacrament meeting for probably a year. Then I moved to another ward. When it came time to get the ticket for the temple dedication I went to the bishop of my new ward and told him I had just moved in and needed a TR for the dedication. He said that I had to be attending church for the past year and he needed to know my old ward. While I was sitting in his office he called my old bishop and asked him if I had been attending church. The old bishop said he had to think a minute and then said, "Oh, yes. I know her. Yes, she is a member in good standing. By all means giver her the TR!" I don't know if the bishop was trying to save face because he couldn't remember who I was or if he had me mixed up with someone else but I got the TR. I don't remember being asked if I was paying tithing either but I wasn't.

Mom and I went to the temple dedication and that was my last visit to any temple.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 10:32AM

Dinosaur age former ward clerk here.

Sometimes, a new member's incoming file would have a request for the new bishop to request the old bishop. If a member suddenly disappears and there is a matter of church discipline, then the membership record would be flagged.

Depending on the bishop, a lot of them would place a call to the former bishop as a matter of courtesy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2019 10:32AM by messygoop.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 11:22AM

When I was a clerk, 7 years ago, the temple recommends were being converted to using bar codes, so they could electronically cancel them immediately.

Assuming you don't have one, request but get denied, then move to another ward, the bishop would likely call your past bishop/s before giving you one. But, it is up to the Bishop.

If you had some "very serious matter", they would probably flag your records, for the next Bishop that receives them, to call. If I remember correctly, that was a matter of checking a box in MLS.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.