Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 03:09PM

This must have been before my time, or at least before I could remember, but I've heard that in earlier times, when stake conference and general conference were held, sacrament meeting still happened. Does anyone know when this particular change was made? Did the switch happen during a gas shortage?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BrightAqua ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 03:41PM

I'm in Northern California, 68 years old. We never had sacrament meetings on general conference or stake conference days.

Until the 70s, stake conference was in Oakland, with morning and afternoon sessions on Sunday. They also served a paid lunch in the gym or you could bring your own picnic lunch. Many of the families would go to Fenton's, an ice cream parlor after the last Sunday session.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 03:49PM

I don't remember it ever being held on GC Sunday since there was an afternoon session of GC.

Stake conference used to be one session in the morning with SM in the afternoon at the usual time (at least in Utah). That ended when the split schedule was replaced with the block schedule.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 09:15PM

I remember the same. Weber/Davis counties 60s and 70s

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 23, 2019 08:23PM

My memory on this goes back to about 1955 and from that time GC meant a holiday from any kind of ward Sunday meetings.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.