Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Bagheera ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:22AM

I'm wondering about something I read here a while back, about someone who found God and peace of mind on leaving Mormon.

It was good and thoughtful, and I marked it for later reading, but on returning, found it vanished.

It wasn't political...so why would such a thread go away?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:31AM

But it sounds like it might have been considered preaching, which is also prohibited.

I do not understand how you could have known that it was thoughtful and not political if you had not read it.

Date: April 30, 2015 09:41AM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But it sounds like it might have been considered
> preaching, which is also prohibited.
>
> I do not understand how you could have known that
> it was thoughtful and not political if you had not
> read it.

I'm a speed-reader. I had wanted to look it over again more carefully, maybe also see what someone else thought of it, and so sent myself a link to the thread. It was gone.

Thanks for the responses. I wouldn't have called it preaching, but it's not my forum so I don't make the rules.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 07:25PM

I find that people who have "found God" then go around speaking how the "found god" often have no idea that they are preaching.

I also have found that many that have found god don't recognize preaching.

Another thing I have found is that the admins are very good at identifying preaching.

Posted by: liberal mormon ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 06:24PM

How is it that all the attacks on the believing, and the threads pushing atheism not 'preaching' and pushing their beliefs on to others?

For the record, I am agnostic about all this, but there does seem to be more preference, allowance, and tolerance for atheists on this site.

Posted by: anonforthisexmorm ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 01:19AM

+ 14 billion

The atheist posts can ALL be seen as 'preaching.' And I'm an atheist.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:39AM

There is a search feature on rfm. You can search for threads by words/phrases used in the thread or by author. It may be that the thread you're looking for didn't vanish, but is on another page.

If you have any question about the inner workings of rfm's admins you should send them an email.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 08:41AM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:55AM

I had one of my most delightsome and thoughtful threads vanish the other day.

Oh wait, it was because I put a redacted naughty word that was too close to the full naughty word in the subject line. My bad.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 09:54AM

At the top of the message list on this forum are several different sticky threads. Two of these, in particular, list the overwhelming majority of reasons why threads "vanish" (are deleted):

*****NO POLITICS***** [and] ***Guidelines, Censorship, Trolls, Rumors and Religious Wars***

These are the main guidelines I use when I make the decision to "vanish" or to not "vanish" a particular thread.

Most threads vanish because someone is proselytizing...because someone is using language which is prohibited (sexual terms, "cuss words," words which are disrespectful or insulting to various groups of people)...or because the subject matter is not part of the purpose of this site.

There are situations which arise from time to time which are not covered in the rules, but which result in a thread being pulled. This circumstance is covered by paragraph #2 in the ***Guidelines...*** sticky post:

"This site (Exmormon.org) is a privately owned Bulletin Board. The owner(s) reserve the right to delete or edit any post for any reason, even if said post appears to conform to the specified guidelines below."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2015 10:01AM by tevai.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 10:37AM

Occasionally it is because it is just easier to delete a whole thread than to pick through the responses after a fight starts.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:12AM

It might happen and I'll try to accept it graciously since this isn't my site.

Posted by: Myron Donnerbalken ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:45AM

Every time you masturbate, a kitten dies and a thread disappears. So it is written.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:55AM

Also, a thread might have been started by a troll, which will result in the thread being pulled.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 12:09PM

Sometimes I look for a thread thinking it vanished and I am not using the best key words, or spelled the author's handle correctly.
Eventually, I find what I am looking for.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 12:29PM

It must be also be pointed out that some threads should "vanish".

If anyone finds a particular posting or thread quite offensive it should be reported at once to the board administrators.

While I'm usually opposed to any kind of censorship, occasionally some postings are simply "over the top" and need to be removed. Recently a thread was started by a non-regular poster improperly accusing Thomas Monson of a very serious act without any supporting documentation.

While there is plenty to post questioning the words and actions of the unholy fifteen, unsupported innuendo bordering on libel is not one of them. I immediately reported why I felt the posting should be removed which was done a short time after. I'm not sure that the poster was barred, but I do note an absence of postings since.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 03:10PM

I saw a thread awhile back that the moderators disappeared because it slandered the skill of a particular journalist who is probably not a member of this forum. I thought that the disappearance was very odd. I suppose people are only supposed to say they like things people do and not say they dislike things people do. But that does not seem to match reality because this site seems to devote a lot of space to talking about disliking the actions of the leaders of the Mormon church, past and present.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 03:55PM

READ THE GUIDELINES

Working around the filters will get your post pulled and chronic abusers will be asked to leave. If you have a problem, contact admin.

Wondering why your post got removed? Please don't ask why on the board itself. Such conversations tend to take on a life of their own and waste precious resources. Instead, send e-mail to erickett@wingnet.net

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 07:45PM

There are various web archive sites. You might try one or more of them if you know the original URL.

http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/others/archive.shtml

I've also found that it can be very difficult to locate old threads. Try various search terms through (not only this site) but also Google, Bing, etc. Sometimes you have to hit the search terms just right.

Date: May 05, 2015 08:56AM

summer Wrote:
> There are various web archive sites. You might try
> one or more of them if you know the original URL.
>
>
> http://www.searchengineshowdown.com/others/archive
> .shtml
>
> I've also found that it can be very difficult to
> locate old threads. Try various search terms
> through (not only this site) but also Google,
> Bing, etc. Sometimes you have to hit the search
> terms just right.

When you mail yourself a link to any thread, that link will take you directly to the thread. I had a link. The thread vanished. But now I begin to understand why.

Thanks, one and all.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:51AM

Just keep your opinions general and on topic for the the post. Personal experience is always heart warming, but don't mud up the others posting too.

Posted by: Isthisnameok? ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 02:12PM

I've been lurking here for since at least the early 2000's and we used to see a lot of never-Mo's coming here to try and 13th step people into finding the real Jesus, basically coming over here to try and proselytize undercover claiming that they too were once wayward Mormons but found the real Jesus and were born again, and we too should follow them, bla bla bla. You don't see that as much anymore, thank Dog.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 06:30PM

. . . otherwise described as occasional house-cleaning done in order to preserve bandwidth.

Also otherwise known as "nuked" for being off-topic, obscene, too personal, too political or already sufficiently covered.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2015 06:36PM by steve benson.

Posted by: liberal mormon ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 06:57PM

steve benson Wrote:
> . . . otherwise described as occasional
> house-cleaning done in order to preserve
> bandwidth.
>
> Also otherwise known as "nuked" for being
> off-topic, obscene, too personal, too political or
> already sufficiently covered.

So what you're saying is: they should be deleting your posts! After all, we need to be preserving that bandwidth! :P

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:34PM

But he has gotten better! I swear!

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 10:03PM

Who's going to send me "Cut it out!" emails? :-(

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 06, 2015 03:25PM

Date: May 11, 2015 04:48PM

Soooo...if I say my religion made me miserable for x number of years, that's okay? But if I still profess a belief in God that's not?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 11, 2015 05:22PM

It *is* OK to say you still believe in [X] but it is advised to word it in a way that's it's about yourself and not directed to others and what they "should" do.

The former is considered a personal belief or experience - allowed. The latter is considered "preaching" - not allowed.

It is also advisable to frame it as a personal *belief*, not as "the truth" for the world.

Keeping those guidelines in mind, go for it!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.