Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:18PM

If there were a god, it would say to me:

Why can't you be happy with what you have now? You have a wife and a son and your own home. Sure, things have been bad for you. Outrageously bad at times. But here you are with a community of vibrant people. And it's virtual to suit your extreme introversion. And people say kind things, not like before. They don't try to hurt you for their own amusement.

God would say that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:22PM

I wounder if God would say the same thing to the parents of children that as starving to death because, though no fault of the parents, there are no resources to feed the children.

Or would God right the same letter to the Children.

Date: April 30, 2015 08:30PM

But I wanted to show my gratitude to this board. It's good to feel lucky for a change.

Date: April 30, 2015 08:37PM

I'm sorry. I was using god as metaphor, and obviously I failed. I am an atheist myself. I'm sorry.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:32AM

Don, you are hilarious. I love your posts. Nobody says quite as much as you with so few words.

Posted by: eunice ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:48PM

Don,
I'm glad to see your uplifting and positive post of gratitude!

Posted by: schlock ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 08:54PM

Don, you are the wind beneath my wings. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9ZMDPf9hZw

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 09:10PM

"You SoB, every since you figured I was a bad dream for you, your life took off, you drive new cars, hotter chicks, healthier.....WTF, and you blaspheme me at least five times a day"

Posted by: Maude ( )
Date: April 30, 2015 11:59PM

This is not a debate thread. Some replies have been deleted for hijacking (+ posts that were replying to posts that were subsequently deleted).

Topping again for Don.

Maude (Admin)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 12:01AM by Maude.

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:16AM

Thanks Maude!

Date: May 01, 2015 01:37AM

So are we not allowed to disagree with Don's claims about what God said?

Posted by: cpete ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:14AM

I like it here as well. I am happy with my "counterfeit" vibrant community.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:27AM

I see what you mean..keep humanism real to. Civility is best and I agree

Posted by: Ex-Sister Sinful Shoulders ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:32AM

Thanks for sharing, Don.

Smores, anyone? =)

Posted by: girlawakened ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:40AM

What a beautiful, refreshing perspective.

Thank you:

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 12:55AM

We are all just flowers who sprouted in the best fertilizer on Earth.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:05AM

I'm happy for you, Don! You are one of my favorite people on RFM.

Our childhoods were disturbingly similar, and you are an example to me, as you lead the way to overcome childhood abuse.

Thank God everything is so much better now.

Sometimes I wonder if an outrageously bad past makes the present seem even sweeter now--by contrast.

I would never know you're an introvert, because you are such a gifted writer and humorist.

Date: May 01, 2015 01:16AM

This is not a hijack, this is a legitimate disagreement with the claim "This is what God would say". My understanding is that we are free to disagree with claims about what god would or does say.

I would have to reject such a letter. I do not see it as the beautiful ideas as others. I do not believe a LOVING god would send such a letter to me while allowing so much suffering. I would be angry if God did such a thing.

I would wonder why god was comforting me while so many are starving to death and suffering so much. Even with the hardships I have faced, I have always lived in relative comfort. My needs have always been met. My needs have been met to the point that I can see to my own comforting.

Since I am already fairly comfortable, and my needs have already been met, I have worked very hard to fix the true suffering on the planet (by true, I am saying that while I have some discomforts, I am not suffering). I have have discussed a couple of efforts I have done to alleviate suffering:

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,492955,492955#msg-492955
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,494224,494224#msg-494224

I have also contributed tons of money to develop sustainable food production in areas where starving occurs. There is no way that I can end the this suffering, but I still try. If there is a god worthy of being called a god, that god would be able to end the hunger.

I'm sorry and I apologize for feeling that God should not be comforting me, a person that is not suffering, while allowing so much suffering. Comforting me does not solve the problems that God, or anything worthy of being called a God, should be fixing.

On second thought, no, I do not apologize.

Any god worthy of being a god would be able to fix the suffering of starvation. If God wants to comfort me, fix the suffering so I do not have to sacrifice so much time, energy and money to trying to fix a problem that I can never fix.

If a parent that could prevent it allowed their child to starve to death, we, at least in the USA, would lock them up for child abuse and likely murder or manslaughter.

When I god does the same thing, people worship it as "loving". Sorry, to me that says some negative things about how and what they worship.

No, I would not agree that such a letter is something that a true loving god would say.

A true loving god would be helping the people that are suffering, not comforting people like me, and I am guessing Don, that may be experiencing some discomfort, but probably not suffering like those that are starving today.

A true loving god would be devoting its efforts to eliminating the suffering not sending letters to comfort those that do not really need comforting.

Delete me for disagreeing under the guise of hijacking if you must.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/01/2015 01:32AM by MJ.

Posted by: Emmabiteback ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:33AM

MJ, you seem so distraught and spiteful of the other posters. Atleast quick to send out a backlash..your attacking the ones that have agreed with you or atleast reached out in a genuine manner..

Date: May 01, 2015 01:35AM

If you have something to say about WHAT I have said, say it.

Otherwise, I reject your personal attacks.,

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: May 01, 2015 01:38AM

I am going to close this thread early because it is going in no good direction.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.