Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Warrior71783 ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 11:24AM

Skills in schools on purpose. They are taught only to conform and get jobs but not have true money skills like an entrepreneur would have. Now that i think about it from the youngest ages children are taught to give their money away over and over like tithing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bspcnot ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:02PM

Was the video online? What is the link?

Date: November 12, 2019 01:27PM

It is a youtube from a guy named Robert Kyosaki. Not sure how to put links on here yet. Youtube video name is 'Robert Kyosaki 2019-The speach that broke the internet! KEEP THEM POOR!!!'. Maybe if you put in that title it will show up.

Date: November 13, 2019 11:29AM

Thank you my kind person.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: November 12, 2019 01:56PM

Robert Kiyosaki has a checkered past...and present.

https://thecollegeinvestor.com/4726/ultimate-hypocrite-robert-kiyosaki-companys-bankruptcy/

Much of what he says (particularly about his own life history) appears to be false, and at least some of the products and advice he offers appear to be misleading at best.

Not all of what he says is false, but his documented personal and business history would suggest great caution.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2019 02:02PM by Tevai.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 04:22AM

I enjoyed reading the Rich Dad Poor dad book and watching his online videos, but also have issues with the idea that only suckers have jobs. Kiosaki pokes at talented people because they work for someone else. They limit their potential by accepting a paycheck, which he thinks shows their stupidity. He has a warped sense of understanding.

Having a job has many benefits solo business owners don't have, friendships can be made from work relations, when your shift is done you can quit working and have a life, being part of a team that achieves can be enjoyable. Jobs bring structure to day to day living, and can stave off mental illness.

But yes it's true that public schools are more interested in producing bureaucrats and line workers than creative problem solvers. I can't remember a single college math class that taught me anything useful in investing. My views may be radical but I think that the university college system really probably should be leveled and all student loans forgiven by the government because of educational fraud against young people. And all university faculty should be sued and be sent to corporate prison (house arrest) for embezzlement and fraud for failure to deliver on promises made to the young and gullible.

That was an interesting link about Kiosakis frauds, I didn't know his company went bankrupt, but the link also said that Rich Dad didn't exist, which as far as my google search shows, he did. So I'm not too sure about Tevai's link?

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2009/Feb/01/ln/hawaii902010355.html

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 05:54AM

No, macaRomney, we are not frauds. We try to teach the knowledge and wisdom we have gained in our chosen subjects. For most of us,, that is an end in itself. As somebody once said, truth is beauty. We try to make the world a more beautiful place.

The availability of jobs for our students after graduation, and the applicability of an education to the attainment of a compensated career, is a complex matter, and is hardly the responsibility of educators. That is the job of our elected representatives. Many of them seem to think that their main responsibility is to shove their mythology down everybody's throat. Hence the battle between politicians and educators. Really, we're simply trying to do our jobs.

Date: November 13, 2019 11:36AM

I agree that college is a scam. The transfer from the education you receive does not seem to translate well into the workforce. At least in my case i can speak for myself. All of those insane loans should be forgiven and transfered into on the job training or something for whatever field you desire at the time.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 11:40AM

There is a huge difference between a vocational education and a liberal one. Many young people are after the former and think they should get it with the latter. It is a rooky mistake. Now the older folk who don't value education for its own sake are a different story.

Date: November 13, 2019 11:43AM

I see

Posted by: Ed O' Brien ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 11:51AM

Warrior71783 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree that college is a scam. The transfer from
> the education you receive does not seem to
> translate well into the workforce. At least in my
> case i can speak for myself. All of those insane
> loans should be forgiven and transfered into on
> the job training or something for whatever field
> you desire at the time.

College is a pyramid scheme. A lot of the courses won't teach you anything worthwhile within the field, or get you to think for yourself. In many of them, the only paid employment at the end comes with teaching other people the same thing. But you can't admit to yourself at the end that you've been robbed. It's like the emperor's new clothes. No one wants to admit that they wasted years of their life, unless they're in a 12 Step Meeting.

Date: November 13, 2019 01:57PM

Maybe you need to live in a place without college.

Date: November 13, 2019 08:45PM

It seems a lot of things are pyramid schemes i've noticed. They are easier to spot since you were born into one.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 04:21PM

>> "I agree that college is a scam."

You scam yourself if you get a degree that doesn't pay well.

If you get a bachelors degree in psychology, sociology, english, history, etc....and expect to graduate and make a generous salary....you scammed yourself.

If you get a bachelors degree in engineering, business, finance, etc....you set yourself up for a good job and salary.

One of my nephews got a psychology degree. With no job to be found with that degree, he changed fields and got into sales and makes a good living....the degree didn't do anything for him job wise.

I got an engineering degree and was immediately recruited out of college with multiple offers, I make a 6 figure salary and haven't lost a days work for not having a job for the last 30 years.....did I get scammed?

What you get out of college degree is mostly up to you, not the collegiate system.

Date: November 13, 2019 08:52PM

Not everyone wants to be an engineer sorry man. Why do something you hate the rest of your life just for the benjamin franklins? Any idiot can make money, look at the GAs. They just had to sell their souls for the six figures thats all and they don't even have to work. I've worked around engineers and every design they came up with in their office world had to be changed because it did not work in the real world.

Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: November 14, 2019 11:00AM

Got it. Good luck with everything, sounds like you're gonna need it.

Date: November 13, 2019 11:42AM

It kind of has that apostle ran feel to college. With the insane loan rates feeling like an extra 15% tithing. Damn the apostles get you through church and college(BYU). Can't believe i didn't make that connection till now.

Date: November 12, 2019 02:08PM

It takes the village elders to teach a child about sex and money in many Christian situations.

And yet, many conservative Christians are against sex education and require people like Dave Ramsey to help them get out of debt because it is the beast along with education.

Posted by: Ed O' Brien ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 11:49AM

Mainstream education is primarily about creating conformity, and drones. The only difference is that nowadays, they fill the kids' heads with ideas that will be of no economic, social or cultural value. In the old days, you were taught a bunch of garbage too, but some of that garbage had practical use in the labor market. Nowadays, it's decades behind the labor market, and doesn't even have any other value, than to make you a tool in someone else's system. I guess Mormonism is no different.

In short, I think in my day, we got plenty of propaganda. Now it is practically nothing but.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 01:39PM

OK Boomers.

I find it ironic that most people who pontificate about the uselessness of college send their kids to...wait for it....college.

Make or look up the following lists: ten best and worst educated states (percent of HS grads, percent of college grads, percent postgrad degrees - the three lists are basically the same),
most and least entrepreneurial states, both in raw numbers and in dollar volume. List the states by per capita income. You might want to put an asterisk by the ones where the per capita income is high because the state is sitting on a large puddle of petroleum (TX, OK, ND, AK)

You'll note that education, income, and entrepreneuriality all correlate quite tightly. Funny how that works.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: November 13, 2019 08:37PM

I don't know about the rest of you but my high school used to teach Civics, Economics, and Geography senior year. All those subjects were retired by the time I was supposed to take them.

I have noticed that most high school grads have had little to no instruction in how government works. They know little to nothing about mortgages, credit. Many couldn't find Switzerland or Sweden on a map and don't know that in Switzerland nobody speaks Swedish unless they moved there from Sweden. It's appalling.

Of course, I'm talking about public school. Perhaps it is better at private schools.

Date: November 13, 2019 09:03PM

Would have been nice to have been taught about mortgages in school. The only thing that was taught about money skills was how to fill out a check. Everything else in public schools taught nothing about money skills from kindergarten-grade 12. Knowledge about handling money properly is probably the most valuable skill you can have. You could make 7 figures but if you do not know how to handle and disperse that money properly then what good does it do.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.