Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elove ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 11:00PM

Ok, my next question. In learning about the LDS church and their beliefs, thinking and doctrine... I can’t help but notice-

Outside of their name, I have never run across the term “saint” ANYWHERE. I mean “Jesus” (or at least some entity going by that same name) at least comes up. But where are the saints? What are Mormon “saints”?

I’m going to guess that like so much they have their own definition of a “saint” but given that the term is so prominent in their name I would think it would come up more often.

What’s the deal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: synonymous ( )
Date: November 30, 2019 11:51PM

The church has redefined "saint" to mean any mormon. A mormon is a saint, and a Saint is a Mormon.

A so-called apostle named Bruce McConkie wrote a book called "Mormon Doctrine" which for decades was highly influential, but that the church is now trying to downplay and bury. Old-timers still hold the book in high regard, though. From p. 667, entry SAINTS:

"Faithful members of the Church and kingdom of god on earth are called *saints*, a title signifying that they have been cleansed by baptism and are pure and clean before the Lord.… The only true saints in this day are thus members of The Church of Jesus Christ of *Latter-day Saints*." [Emphasis in original.]

Only a mormon can be a true saint – an example of the customary mormon arrogance and smug superiority complex.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 12:33AM

synonymous Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> A so-called apostle named Bruce McConkie

a so called ......MORmON apostle...... which is monumental distinction between an actual apostle and what MORmONISM does to the concept..... raping it like Joe SMith on his latest teen age bride .....just like with MORmONISM and MORmON Jesus versus traditional Jesus. MORmON Jesus is the MORmON concept of Jesus that comes about when MORmONS get down screwing with the concept.

WHich is exactly why I refer to Bruce R. McConkie as a MORmON ASSpostHOLE for clarity and descriptiveness and accuracy

> wrote a
> book called "Mormon Doctrine"

AKA "MORmON doctUrine" considering the source

> which for decades
> was highly influential, but that the church is now
> trying to downplay and bury. Old-timers still hold
> the book in high regard, though. From p. 667,
> entry SAINTS:
>
> "Faithful members of the Church and kingdom of god
> on earth are called *saints*, a title signifying
> that they have been cleansed

how would a person cleanse their mind of the rancid MORmON ASSpostHOLE Bruce McConkie ???

> by baptism and are
> pure and clean before the Lord.

Which is MORmON Jesus in that instance

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 12:07AM

elove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ok, my next question. In learning about the LDS
> church and their beliefs, thinking and doctrine...
> I can’t help but notice-
>
> Outside of their name, I have never run across the
> term “saint” ANYWHERE. I mean “Jesus” (or
> at least some entity going by that same name) at
> least comes up. But where are the saints? What
> are Mormon “saints”?
>
> I’m going to guess that like so much they have
> their own definition of a “saint” but given
> that the term is so prominent in their name I
> would think it would come up more often.
>
> What’s the deal?

you have not run across the word "saint" much before ?

......its all over the place !!! in general, ever heard of San (Saint) Francisco ??????

and with in MORmONISM, MORmONS frequently refer to themselves as latter day saints

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 03:21AM

Come, Come ye Saints is an iconic Mormon hymn that showcases the Mormon usage of 'saint', meaning the community of Mormon believers."Latter Day Saints" as mentioned in the cult's full name doesn't mean a new cast of fearless martyrs and pure, aescetic miracle working revolutionary theologians, it means Brother and Sister Beckendorfer in all their five kids under eight years old, he's a dentist/she's a mom, have a plate of cookies and the latest Ensign article glory.

If you're interested, search the net for the lyrics, which are a window into what is expected and ideal behavior of the general Mormon flock as modeled by the great and gullible pioneers of old...which is, basically, pray, pay, obey, suffer and possibly die but do it with a happy smile, and do get on with it quickly and quietly, all is well, all is well.

I think they chose to call themselves the Saints because the Quakers had already been calling themselves the Friends for quite a while, so that word was taken, but the cult wanted some form of special identity word to assign themselves to make their separation from other Christian movements just that more distinctively. And since other non-cult people were busy making up names for the Mo's that weren't nearly as complimentary, it had to be an already rather loaded word in society.

Did you know the Saints call non-Mormons "gentiles"? Because they believe they are the true covenant people of God, the "real" Jews, if you will. This doesn't seem to be such a common thing anymore, but was huge back when the cult started calling themselves saints.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2019 03:25AM by ptbarnum.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 04:58AM

“I have never run across the term “saint” ANYWHERE”

What about the New Orleans Saints?

In Catholicism you have to lead an incredibly pious and virtuous life to be posthumously declared a saint. Mormons lower the bar a wee bit. Everyone gets to be a saint. You just turned 8 and got baptized? Congratulations, you’re a saint.

In four more years, you can become a deacon. At the advanced age of 18, you will be an Elder. No waiting around until you’re 60 like in other churches.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 06:15AM

Oh, the arrogance!

Mormons have always declared themselves "saints". Indeed, they are the only true followers of God/Christ/The Lord in His "only true church."

Now the self-proclaimed prophet Rusty has dubbed everyone "ministers." Yes, Mormons are ministers now! They never attended any kind of divinity school, or had any formal training, and no therapy training or experience--yet they act as experts in telling the members how to live, how to be happily married, how to raise children, how to manage their time, what to think, how to act, how to dress. Most of the Mormons I know are disasters! No one should follow their lay advice.

Mormons do not love unconditionally, and, in my experience, are not as honest or trustworthy as normal people. They are far from being saints. Or ministers.

Mormons believe in advertising. If they say something is real, and repeat it often enough, it becomes real. It's mass delusion.

There's nothing stopping you and I from putting our hands on each other's head and blessing each other with "saint" status or even "prophet" status (except I'm female). I now proclaim us all to be "ex-saints" and "cult-free". Amen.

Date: December 01, 2019 06:28AM

It’s hard to love your neighbor when you’re so much better than them.

Posted by: ptbarnum ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 02:45PM

^^^This. It's so hard to love the gum stuck to the sole of your shoe. That's why you indoctrinate the kiddies to only date and marry inside the cult.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 02:29PM

Is McConckie dead now. It would be nice to hear that he is not around any more.

Date: December 01, 2019 03:35PM

That reptilian died in 1985. He was properly remembered here: https://www.exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2167245

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 01, 2019 03:50PM

I want to beeee
in
that
numberrrr
when the saints go marching in.

Thinking it possible to be counted among the saints is not a concept unique to Mormonism, though Mormons play it up much more than any intern organization I can think of.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.