Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 05:49PM

Inspired by the thread on the special announcement by the steak president.

Following Gordon B.S. Hinckley's example as a stake pres.

When Gordon was made stake pres, one of the first big things that Gordon did was to cancel the Stake's regularly scheduled Lagoon fun day, and directing that all of the funds that would normally go into the recreational activity be reassigned to the construction fund for the new stake center. On the day when his stake members might have been at Lagoon, they were at the construction site working to clear the land.

What a surprise that later on, Gordon had to build a new grossly extravagant mall next to temple square, with funds that MORmON members might have squandered on their own personal needs and desires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDhAIjF0wQI

Men are that they might have joy.
MORmONS are they they might not have anything when "THE" church is done with them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 06:31PM

Knowing Hinckley's character, he probably took his own family to Lagoon several times to celebrate having been righteous enough to cancel the stake event.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 03:16AM

( exactly !)

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 04:07PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 04, 2015 06:37PM

I wonder if Joseph Smith really said, "men are that they might have Joyce," and it was edited like everything else.

Posted by: Templar ( )
Date: May 05, 2015 09:49AM

Actually, Joseph originally translated it as "men are that they might have sex", but later the word "sex" was crossed out and "joy" was written above it. Of course, this portion of the manuscript is no longer extant. Joseph Fielding Smith always claimed that it was lost during the trek west. (Wink, wink!)

SNARK

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 02, 2015 03:35PM

Templar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, Joseph originally translated it as "men
> are that they might have sex", but later the word
> "sex" was crossed out and "joy" was written above
> it. Of course, this portion of the manuscript is
> no longer extant. Joseph Fielding Smith always
> claimed that it was lost during the trek west.

The existence of the book, "The Joy of Sex" is clearly evidence that your story is correct...if we're to use the logic of mopologists!

Posted by: Agnes Broomhead ( )
Date: June 02, 2015 02:33PM

I remember as a youth watching this crazy religious show on a brand new independent TV station seeing this weird couple, one with gobs of makeup, pleading with viewers to send funds to help make this dream come true:

http://www.tommyandjames.net/heritageusa.html

Since I was into amusement parks at the time I was bemused into thinking God could actually be running the roller coasters at your nearby park. Amazing, ain't it!

So I still don't understand that, to this day, the second-biggest corporation west of the Rockies doesn't buy and own Lagoon. Been there once, I was puzzled as to why they charge extra admission for most rides. I read it is an independent park, not owned by any chains, and based on one independent park in Iowa not having any big, fun rides and attractions, and since the Morg has lots more money than CedarFair, Six Flags or other amusement park chains, why can't they go for it?

Remember, Marriott once built and ran the amusement park I went to as a kid.

Posted by: anubis ( )
Date: June 02, 2015 05:36PM

The Morg could convert nauvoo (sic) to a great theme park.
It's basically that way now without the cool rides.

They could have leaving the city water slides and submarine barges and zip lines across the river.
Nephi's head slicing roller coaster.
Joepsh Smiths purple headed snake coaster
JS Blue balls ball pit.
Joesph Smith multiple wife poll dancing experince show. (not for the kids)
Ether's sleepy time hotel.
Become your own god video arcade that has Sim City style games.
Glass looking and seer stone shops.
AND
The ultimate temple ride that drops you in water then dries you then throws oil at your privates and then rides you in space through the creation story only to drop you at an exit door that requres a special handshake to get out.

POW big time money maker.......

Posted by: dinosaurprincess ( )
Date: February 07, 2019 08:44PM

This had me in stitches, thanks!! Gonna share that with my best friend XD

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 08, 2019 01:43AM

Love it.

Makes me think of a mean trick I played asking my grandchildren purposely in front of their parents what they liked about seeing Nauvoo. They gave me dirty looks as they stumbled to come up with something or other. (I had kidded them before they left saying I bet they were so excited to be having a vacation in church history.

This Nauvoo they would enjoy.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: June 02, 2015 09:39PM

Hinckleys father was Bryant S. Hinckley and those who knew him always called him BS. Like JC, BJ, EJ......BS.

I know this because we were visiting family and there was this one old coot who told us family stories. It was fun.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.