Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 05:32PM

that you wished you could flash-freeze it and keep it stashed away forever? Something that you could fish out of storage and re-visit it, to re-experience its perfection again?

I just had a moment like that. After not sleeping well last night, I had a little something to eat for breakfast, and chose to go back to bed. (I'm retired. I can do stuff like that.)

After waking up, I got dressed, made up my bed, and wandered out to check on the rest of the household. I located and interacted with my precious DH, my senior cat, and last but not least, my "baby" cat.

The kids are all grown up and out on their own, so this is my family now. With all of them accounted for, I feel a quiet, pervasive contentment. No worries, nothing to be afraid of, nothing to dread. In this moment, everything is the way it's supposed to be.

I know from experience that it can't stay like this, because that isn't the nature of our human lives. But for the moment, I'm as content as any gazillionaire out there. Wow.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 06:45PM

Sounds like at present your at the top of Maslows hierarchy of needs. After food and water, housing, Most of the time we are worried about safety, job security, etc. Satisfying relationships are in the middle of the hierarchy, people need love and respect. And when we reach the top that's self actualization, meaning we work doing what we want, and are in a situation that isn't horrible.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 11:46AM

Self actualization = first world problem and about as important.

Date: December 09, 2019 06:07PM

Huh. I have never thought of "self-actualization" in quite the way that MacaRomney uses it, but with the translation (i.e, "doing what we want,") it sounds very much like "retirement" to me.

You spend several decades of your life, busy at something you may or may not like, but eventually, there comes a time when you can quit the "busy-ness," and do as much or as little as you can afford.

Maybe my trip to Europe in 2006 was a form of "self-actualization." I can say for certain that in making that trip, I was able to cross multiple items off my personal Bucket List.

My, my! One of the many great things about this forum is that we NEVER quit learning!! (Thanks, Eric, CZ, et al.)

Date: December 09, 2019 06:30PM

It is a vague ethereal term that doesn't translate well to the human condition.

noun: self-actualization
the realization or fulfillment of one's talents and potentialities, especially considered as a drive or need present in everyone.

The problem in my opinion is in the word "self." What is a self exactly and how does it relate to human needs and human survival. The answer is it doesn't.

Retirement sounds grand for you and I'm so glad. It doesn't sound like you are too worried about fulfillment of talents and potentialities?

A single moment of perfection sounds more Zen than Maslow.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 08, 2019 09:07PM

I have a similar life. My cats are dogs, though.

Thank you, catnip, for sharing. :)

Posted by: Phil in Roy ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 12:10PM

Kathleen, are you sure those animals are not DATS?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 12:17AM

When I parallel-parked a semi (tractor-trailer with semi-trailer, i.e. basic big-rig) on my first try for my Class A CDL test. It's the hardest part of the test--backing it to a curb with only 50 feet to maneuver and you're allowed only 3 pull-ups to correct and adjust.

Date: December 09, 2019 02:35AM

The only time in my life - and I mean that VERY literally - that I ever parallel-parked a car successfully on the first try was on my very first attempt at getting my driver's license, as a teen in Southern California.

I have maintained just about forever that it is possible to live a full and satisfying life without parallel parking OR higher mathematics, and so far, nothing has proven me wrong!

Date: December 09, 2019 10:48AM

The challenge with a semi is that as the trailer jacks to the right, you're blind on your right-side mirror, and you have to estimate where your (trailer) tandems are. The test spot is marked out with pavement lines, and if any part of your rig goes over those lines, you flunk, and it was a 3-month wait to retest.

To this day, I hardly ever use my interior rearview mirror. I instinctively use the sides. I also keep my Class A active--pure vanity which costs me about $150 a year in additional fees.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 12:20AM

accounts of sexual experiences ?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 01:32AM

Congratulations, catnip. That moment didn't just happen, though.

There was a lifetime in the making of it. You earned your retirement. You became a loving person who drew a wonderful husband into your life. Over the years, I'm sure you have loved and lost many cats, which added to the appreciation you have for your cats now.

Both the good and the bad are in the equation of the here and now. Your previous tiredness caused the sweetness of your nap.

Congratulations on your mindset, because you were able to focus on the present, and hold pure gratitude in your heart.

YOU are the one with the gift--the gift of pure gratitude.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 02:01AM

My phone call was perfect.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 10:57AM

Happy for you catnip.

I have had them. I can still recall them. They are always there like embers that can reignite when blown on with a bit of our own oxygen.

The best ones, like yours, are with significant others and my furry kids. and a colorful morning sky. However, a significant number of them also involve German Chocolate Cake.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 06:11PM

My mom made them..a lot...and they were addictive

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: December 09, 2019 11:27AM

That moment in September 1971 when I opened a letter from the love of my life whom I thought I had lost forever asking me if I still loved her. I will take that warm golden moment to my grave.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: December 11, 2019 01:22AM

Lucky girl. :)

Date: December 09, 2019 11:47AM

I did once but it was so special I can't share it.

Date: December 11, 2019 12:07AM

Date: December 11, 2019 11:43AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.