Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 09:35AM

I can not get a sense of whether it has been a success or not.And off course what is the goal? That was never made clear. Are we to become so Christ like no one can stand us? It might be me but what I am seeing is a population in the Church becoming less social and more just going through a routine. I do not get as sense that young people are that much engaged in the program either.
But its hard to tell.
What I think I see is members are isolated and unable to talk to each other about Church issues like they used. There is no time. If that is the case its a brilliant move on Dusty Rusty's part. The money keeps flowing in and little accountability for the actions of the top people. Or criticism either.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 12, 2020 10:54AM

come follow me commercials, but then I got rid of cable, but still watch local channels. There are a lot of commercials advertising the byu channel with John Legend singing a Christmas song, which I find crazy. I didn't know John Legend was a mormon!!!! Don't they have anyone to sing on their commercials other than a famous singer who isn't mormon. Oh, also, he is black. That just occurred to me. They didn't have the mormon tabernacle choir sing on their commercials.

If they were to come follow me as in Jesus, and even if I don't know if there was ever a Jesus or is one (my Jewish boyfriend said that is evidence of someone like Jesus and my boyfriend is well studied in Judaism and Christianity), the Jesus we were taught about in church (at least for me) was nothing like most mormons I know. Humble, caring, kind, loving, nonjudgemental, etc., etc., etc. I see very few mormons who are like that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2020 10:57AM by cl2.

Date: January 13, 2020 11:29AM

I'm really curious.

Posted by: rubicon ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 03:19PM

No huge changes with Come Follow Me. It's just that everything is on the same lessons.

The church is putting it's resources into temples. it's going to be less about socialization other than ministering which is more flexible home teaching.

The pressure to be temple worthy will be huge. Youths will be expected to have their recommends and the adults will be expected to have theirs.

The church is building temples like crazy to try and have one close enough to where the temple isn't so distant.

Date: January 13, 2020 03:25PM

I forgot about that. My daughter's in-laws went to the temple to do baptisms on Dec. 31st. There were a lot of younger kids there. It seems she told me that if they are baptized, they can do baptisms for the dead, but maybe she said if they are 12. Can't remember for sure. So being worthy is starting a lot earlier.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 14, 2020 05:49AM

The youth have their own temple recommends now. Of course they only can do baptisms but the Aronic priesthood can now perform baptisms for the dead and the girls can be witnesses.

The church has scrapped entertaining the youth because they found that didn’t retain them when they became young single adults. Now the church leadership seems to think giving the youth more responsibility will brain wash them better.

We will see. The youth will decide the future of the church and old men that exist in a bubble think they understand the youth.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 03:30PM

SEcular Priest Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The money keeps flowing in and little
> accountability for the actions of the top people.
> Or criticism either.

Very successful and given their track record about as successful as many things such as...

FHE
HT
VT
Primary
Yadda yadda yadda.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 04:44PM

I haven't seen (don't care), but is there a temple or McTemple in Washington state other than Seattle?

Spokane, Vancouver, Portland OR, perhaps Bellingham or Vancouver B.C.?

How about Boise, ID or Meridian?

Wenatchee or Yakima? Tri-cities?

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 06:15PM

Portland, Vancouver (BC), Boise, Meridian, Spokane, Tri-Cities (Richland).

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/temples/list?lang=eng

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 04:59PM

It's called Come bank with us.

Jesus loved money and so will you!

Learn how to amass billions for the Armageddon.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 06:20PM

messygoop Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Learn how to amass billions for the Armageddon.

Learn how to invest in a 100 billion dollar portfolio for Armageddon.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 13, 2020 07:35PM

"We had our ward conference today, and the entire second hour was a discussion on how to keep the youth from leaving, and how to leave the bishop alone, so he can focus his time on keeping the youth from leaving. The children are the church's future, and that does not bode well for them. HUZZAH."

Posted by u/kiwiastronaut

"I spoke with a recently released TBM bishop today and asked how many "active" members have burning testimonies of the church versus how many are on the fence or mentally out but stay active for social, family, or other reasons (AKA "PIMO"s―physically in, mentally out). He said that being a bishop had opened his eyes to the fact that most active members have at least one significant problem with the church. I asked him what percent of the members who go to church regularly were truly "converted". He said his guess was less than 25 percent. I said that seemed surprisingly low. He stood by his estimate.

"This is in the morridor."

Posted by u/cmukasey

"In 2019 my husband and I literally dropped everything and stopped attending church with our four children. We found out the truth. We were both in leadership callings and within a matter of weeks we were done. It was one Sunday all in, the next, not there. This is a wonderful ward we attended faithfully for over 5 years. Wonderful friends. Beautiful people.

"Just done.

"I was extremely forthright in WHY with all I came across. I made it explicitly clear we didn’t believe in the truth claims and that was the ONLY reason why.

"People are slowly coming out of the woodwork and expressing concerns to me. We discovered a good friend is PIMO but stays for his wife. Same with another. I have had two friends reach out to me to say they are struggling as well but are afraid of family backlash.

"I don’t ever push them to dive deeper or try harder. That is their journey. It can’t be forced.

"But man. The church is in trouble in a major fucking way. (Not financially of course lolololol)"

Posted by u/elemeno452

"I can't see Millennials sticking around the church as they come into their own. They live in an age where they expect transparency. Me too, and consumer reviews.

"Why would They blindly commit to a corporation with no transparency? They have demanding jobs, young children, and aging parents, they value their time and spend it more purposely. I can't see them continuing to spending 10% of their income to sit quietly for 3 hours in repetitive, meaningless temple rituals and wear ugly underwear. ...And running around doing endless church service volunteer demands."

Posted by u/1exlds

"...Here I am in my unholy, unmarked underwear. Over the last year or so I gradually started to realize that, if you sum up all of the questions and unbeliefs that I had continually suppressed over the years, I actually didn't believe in anything. I admitted to myself that none of it really made any sense. Anything that I've learned since then has just been (more) nails in the coffin.

"And turns out, I'm not even alone in this. The Church is bleeding people like me that realized that all of this was probably made up and that life isn't limited to what comes out of the (probably smelly) mouths of fifteen old men. I'm happier out than I was in and I just feel so much more free and capable and optimistic. I genuinely feel like a better person now.

"And damn if this underwear isn't 100x more comfortable too"

Posted by u/ebzinho

I could literally go on and on!! When I joined Reddit in 2009 the exmormon subreddit was in the low four figures. There are now more than 145,000 registered members. I think it took like three weeks to go from 144,000 to 145,000.

There is an r/LDS subreddit. Here's what you see when you try posting there the first time:

"Thank you for your comment on r/lds. Because you're new, your comment has been automatically placed in a pre-approval queue so that it can be checked against the community's rules, which include civility and doctrinal compliance. If your post is borderline, you may be asked to edit it so that it better conforms to the tone intended for this subreddit. After a rapport is established, you may be added to a whitelist of trusted posters that can skip the approval queue. Thank you again for your contribution to a publicly viewable, faith-positive community on reddit. I am a bot, and this action was performed automatically. Please contact the moderators of this subreddit if you have any questions or concerns."

I believe they are concerned the Jesus might get his feelings hurt, so ...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.