Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 02:05PM

with this product becoming more and more available, and the massive profits to be made with products produced from hemp - and it's psychoactive cousin cannabis - more and more organisations and individuals are gaining licenses to grow crops and produce various products, with or without the psycho-active ingredients (mostly without).

Does anyone know if any of the church bigwigs or the church itself as an organisation is planting and gaining production licenses in this or any other country at the moment?

I know some former british MPs are growing crops in the UK to export to countries where products are available on prescription (like the USA) and the Israeli government has even planted over 30 acres for medicinal cannabis products.

This market is a massive money cow for those who can obtain licenses so I figured somewhere in the church hierarchy there must be someone money-grabbing enough to enter this market.

Does anyone have any evidence of this? All information supplied will be of benefit. I look forward to hearing from you better informed American ex-mormons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 02:07PM

IS it an essential oil? Has it a spiritual name? Was it commissioned by Jesus Christ?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 02:20PM

A quick search found this article, in which it states that while the church is against recreational use of cannabis, the are in favor of reaping the beneficial uses of medical marijuana... But I didn't read the whole thing.

Here's the sub-head:

September 18, 2018

"Mormon church leaders are calling for
       Utah lawmakers to pass medical-marijuana
       legislation by the end of the year even
       as they urge people to vote against a
       ballot measure that would legalize medical
       marijuana in the state."

--https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/09/18/mormon-leaders-call-new/

Robert Kirby, noted future ex-mormon, noted, "I’m a marijuana user and a Mormon"

--https://www.sltrib.com/opinion/kirby/2018/08/17/kirby-im-marijuana-user/

There's a good bit of money to be made here so even if the church never comes out with specific rules, it's pretty much a given that they'll allow crafty members to find a way to profit (and tithe) on marijuana and cannabis.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 02:32PM

The old bait 'n switch.

In 2018 there was a medical marijuana bill that the church thought would win passage. So they argued that it was a bad proposal and should be rejected until the legislature could compile a better medical marijuana bill. Of course, there was no serious expectation that the latter would occur. It's just that the church needed to get the first one defeated.

It's redolent of what Pope Francis did in late 2018 when the US Bishops convened a council to adopt a new child molestation program, whereby accused priests would immediately be reported to the police. Frank instructed them to desist because he was about to adopt church-wide reforms. The Americans did as they were told and gave up their effort. And as they had feared, Francis did absolutely nothing.

The credulous may fall for such mendacity--"Francis is a good man; y'all will see"--but whether Catholic or Mormon, bait and switch is bait and switch.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 07:21PM

This is very telling! No wonder the Mormon legistators are so aggressively against legalization of marajuana for private individuals--they want to make money off of the manufacture and distribution of marijuana.

I think about Orrin Hatch passing laws that make it possible for the manufacture of supplements, vitamins, and other snake-oil tonics in Utah, without any FDA. These suppleent-producing factories have been popping up all over Salt Lake Valley. Many of them are MLM's.

Now that you mention it, aononuk, that's where LDS, Inc. is headed--I will bet on that!

I know many older Mormons and non-Mormons--wealthier people who can afford the very high price--who depend on hemp oil, every day, for pain, lack of sleep, anxiety, etc. They have given me names of compounding pharmacies that will provide me with hemp oil--without my even asking.

Many Mormons think this oil is the best thing since sliced bread, and are not ashamed of taking it. I was at a relative's Sunday dinner, and was limping from a twisted knee, and they offered me a pill. They have both a doctor and a pharmacist in the family, and they pass around those pills, as though they were Tylenol. These Mormons can get them cheaper, if they have "connections". I would bet the Mormons would do their best hemp-selling right here in Utah, the drug-abuse capital of the Nation.

Hemp oil is popular with non-Mormons, as well. It's just that I suspect the Mormons are going to make money off of manufacturing it and selling it. Thank you, Orrin Hatch.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 02:39PM

in March. My son's doctor is one of the few doctors in Utah who can prescribe suboxone, subutex for opiate addiction. My son asked him if he would be prescribing medical marijuana and he said that, no, the government is making it so each doctor can only have 25 patients. I don't know how many doctors can prescribed medical marijuana. I've only been hearing things second-hand.

My therapist says marijuana is the drug of the future for mental health patients, that he has a lot of patients on it for anxiety and depression. My son does better on marijuana than any other medication he has been on. It has helped him get off opiates and suboxone. He is himself on marijuana. My therapist has even told me where to go to get marijuana even before Wendover had it.

Whether the lord wants it or not, recreational marijuana will come to Utah I have no doubt. Just like gay marriage came to Utah.

Myself, I have started using CBD oil for my arthritis in my hands. I have been able to stop taking something that damages my liver by taking CBD oil. It has been beyond amazing in helping my boyfriend's German Shepherd. She was having such a hard time getting up and down and walking, going up and down stairs, that it was SAD. She acts 5 years younger now.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 05:54PM

Yes, I've heard from a number of dog owners that it is fantastic for arthritis in their pets. I must ask my veterinarian if it can be used for cats. I am currently using Omega 3 oil for my elderly cat, and it isn't bad, but I would be interested in a better solution.

I've been told by a friend who works in the industry that it is not difficult to qualify for medical marijuana products. He said that based on my eye surgeries, I would likely qualify. I think that medical marijuana is just the first step for Maryland, and that recreational use will be approved at some point in the future.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 03:00PM

I'm just wondering what this has to do with recovering from

the mormon church? Can you explain?

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 05:06PM

I also wonder about half of the topics that pop up here and what they have to do with RFM.

Date: January 20, 2020 05:09PM

I submit, Saucie, that figuring out booze and socially-acceptable drugs like caffeine and marijuana are part of escaping from Mormonism.

Date: January 20, 2020 06:08PM

in the process is part of recovering from mormonism. The people voted for it and the church has done everything they can to change what was voted for. I wish I knew more. I just know that in order for medical marijuana to be passed in Utah, mormons had to have voted for it. The church wants to control the voters. They tried to talk to the mormons about not voting for it. The mormnons who signed the petition to put it on the ballot were sought out and told how to take their names off the petition. The only reason we have CBD oil is because it was made legal nationally.

The mormon church TRIES to rule the state. I'm sure there is so much more to come in their interference with anything and everything to do with marijuana. They lost the fight for gay marriage, so they did that change where kids with gay parents couldn't be baptized or blessed until they were 18. Then they changed that because of the backlash. They would tell you otherwise.

This is definitely a topic that has to do with the lds church. Are they doing anything so they can benefit from marijuana production and sales? Would it surprise me? No.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: January 20, 2020 07:09PM

thanks for all your speedy replies- my husband is amazed!

@ saucie I have a Mormon relative who has a bone injury that will not heal, painkillers do not work and no treatment has given any relief nor aided healing. My suggestion that this be used as a last ditch attempt for any result that may reduce pain / might prevent surgery has been met with hostility and blown out of all proportion. I am sure the hostility is due to me being an apostate.

It is my firm belief that if the church had okayed it or been involved in the blossoming new industry, this would not have become the problem that it did.

This information request is not to win any argument with my relative, just for my own knowledge.

Thanks again for your replies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 06:27AM by anonuk.

Posted by: dumbmormons ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 08:42AM

If it were actually medical it would be tested, regulated and prescribed by physicians and dispensed at a normal pharmacy.

Nothing but junk science and pushed by drug users who want a fix.

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 12:18PM

And you wouldn’t be able to afford it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 08:43AM

there is no evidence that hemp oil has medical benefits.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 11:34AM

“This so-called ‘evidente’ you speak of is a device used to lasso and corral those who believe that ‘facts’ exist and can be used to define ‘reality’. I pity you, but not in a piteous fashion.”

—Archduke Archie Duke, Archer to her Majesty, a Queen

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 21, 2020 05:39PM

My wife used both CBD & THC oils during the last 10 months of her life. They helped her maintain her appetite and sleep through the night. We asked our Mormon doctor to refer us to the Cannabis clinic in Calgary but he refused, citing his belief there were alternatives. We found a doctor in Calgary to write the prescription. Getting the oils was a major undertaking then in 2017..and then Canada legalized cannabis on the one year anniversary of my wife's death and now you can't swing the proverbial dead cat without hitting a weed shop...including I am told in uber TBM Cardston...where you still can't buy a beer!

Date: January 21, 2020 08:02PM

He went to a doctor to be put on suboxone or subutex. I can't remember which. He was on that drug for over 10 years. The medical costs were quite high and he doesn't earn that much, so guess who paid for him to be on suboxone/subutex? And for doctor visits once a month.

My son is off alcohol and off the suboxone now because of marijuana. My therapist, who I consider a brilliant man (as do most who know him), says that he has many patients on marijuana for anxiety and depression and it works. I have my son back because of marijuana.

I was as much of a prude as anyone you would ever meet. I pay for my son's marijuana. My brother and nephew who also have severe anxiety use it, too, and they are off their other meds now.

If I hadn't experienced it myself, I wouldn't believe it.

And it has made a huge change in my boyfriend's dog's arthritis. At least she isn't on Rimadyl, which my "husband's" dog was on and it took his life in 6 months. I've watched the change in her. I was sick watching her for the past few months as she was such an active dog. My boyfriend used Rimadyl some, but we were both afraid of it. He got CBD oil and she has changed back to her normal self except not quite as crazy as she used to be. She is a German Shepherd and had untold energy until the last few months.

And it has definitely helped my hands within the past 10 days. I have so much pain in my hands from arthritis.

So whoever doesn't think CBD oil isn't working, then don't use it. You don't have to. And I'm no drug addict unless you call all the meds they prescribe for me and others make us drug addicts. Oh, okay. I'd rather have my son on pot for the rest of his life than see how he was before he was on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2020 08:06PM by cl2.

Date: January 21, 2020 09:21PM

I agree with all of this.

It's a mistake to presume that "legitimate" medicines are safe. For anxiety and sleep problems, for example, a lot of doctors prescribe benzos or related drugs, all of which have serious drawbacks. Then there are the anti-depressants and other drugs that while effective (it appears) for their purposes have some undesirable side effects and whose long-term use has not been well researched.

I have no doubt that weed has negative effects that haven't been well studied, especially when used for decades, but for a lot of people the drug works better than established medicines. cl2 has suggested a few cases in which marijuana seems a preferable option. The cancer patient who only has months or years to live, the drug addict who can't get off serious meds, etc: there are some situations where weed makes a lot of sense.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.