Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:32PM

According to Mormon doctrine, Jesus is the same personage as the God (Jehovah) of the Old Testament, right?

So it was Jesus (as Jehovah) who pronounced the Ten Commandments. The first one says that we should "have no other gods" before him (Jesus/Jehovah), and that we should not "worship them."

But Mormons also insist that they do not worship Jesus, but they worship and pray to "God the Father" in the name of the Son. Bruce R. McConkie said: "We worship the Father and him only and no one else." The Encyclopedia of Mormonism says: "Latter-day Saints worship and pray to the Father and offer all other sacred performances to him in the name of the Son, Jesus Christ.".

So, aren't they violating the First Commandment by not worshipping the author of the Commandments?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:38PM

Hmmm, that must be one of those things in the Bible that wasn’t translated correctly.

Posted by: sonofthelefthand ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 09:10AM

Yeah, they might say that it was supposed to say Elohim in that commandment, which would then be translated to Gawhd in English.

Posted by: William Law ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:42PM

And as a Mormon we were taught that Catholics were weird by going through saints. Seems like about the same thing.

I know you already know this RPackham, but Mormons are really messed up when it comes to who is who and what is what in the "godhead". When I read the BOM or doctrine, my head would swim trying to keep it all straight. He's a spirit, no wait, he has a body, wait, he's the same person, nope, not now, he's two distinct beings. The holy ghost is a vaporous, peaceful feeling in your heart, wait no, he's a spirit without a body, who just happens to be a god--how that happened, no one knows.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:52PM

Jesus is god.
Who sacrificed himself
to himself
to appease himself.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: January 22, 2020 11:53PM

Never thought it quite that way.
I did always wonder if angry Jehovah of the Old Testament worked out a lot of his issues flooding the world, teasing Job and ordering various cities destroyed so that he could be 'turn the other cheek' Jesus for most of the New Testament.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 03:57AM

We were taught eternal progression in seminary. Yes, the Mormons DID teach that "As man is, God once was; and is God is, man might become."

Jesus was still progressing. He just had to grow up and stop flooding and killing everyone. Turning the other cheed is more mature. I guess God has "regressions" now and then, like most of us do.

How can Mormons know so much about secret handshakes and rituals for the dead, and the details of the Three Degrees of Glory with JS there as Judge on the right hand of God (or whoever)--if the Mormons don't even know which diety they are praying to?

Seriously, which has the most votes among Christians? Is God Jesus, or, are God and Jesus two seperate beings? How do YOU vote?

I was a very devout BIC Mormon, and now I'm 11 years out, and I still don't know who-the-heck it was that I prayed to all my life.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 03:58AM

And did God have sex with his own mother?

Posted by: TonyS ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 09:28AM

This one is easy.

The 10 commandments are eternal, and came from the Father... Jesus (Jehovah), just relayed those commandments to Moses.

No conflict here.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 02:45PM

TonyS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This one is easy.
>
> The 10 commandments are eternal, and came from the Father... Jesus (Jehovah), just relayed those commandments to Moses.
>
> No conflict here.

But Jesus/Jehovah did NOT say: "the Father says to have no other gods before HIM."

In the older version of the Ten Commandments at Exodus 34, taken from the J document, it is clearly Jehovah speaking, with no reference to any other source but himself. The versions in Exodus 20 and Deut 5 are from the much later Deuteronomist writers.

(Most Mormons are completely unfamiliar with the "documentary hypothesis" about the differences between OT sources, usually labeled J, E. D, P, and R.)

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 11:15AM

I think you have a case. The Supreme Court in Heaven needs to rule on this. But The Mormons have 100 billion to pay their lawyers.

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 03:07PM

I must admit that I never paid that much attention to the Mormons' God-Jesus/Jesus-God shuffle, despite my wife's "Mormon Fun Facts".

Your post, though, is yet another example of how everything makes so much sense once one considers that it was all made up. No mental gymnastics, twisted words, or tortured translations required.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: January 23, 2020 03:13PM

Mormon Doctrine was a joke just like all the rest of it

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.