Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:28PM

My wife thinks I have a disease. She finds it endlessly amusing to point out to people my condition. I'm afflicted by words. It doesn't happen everyday but it can happen many days in a row.

What is it that happens to me?

Well, like Boyd Packer describes in a talk about bad thoughts creeping in from the wings of the stage of my mind, words creep in and they are ones for whom I've usually forgotten their meaning.

Maybe this is a symptom of early onset Alzheimer's? I don't know...remember if I read that.

But the word of the day today from the wings of my mind's stage is this one.

port·man·teau
/ˌpôrtˈmantō/
noun
noun: portmanteau; plural noun: portmanteaux; plural noun: portmanteaus; noun: portmanteau word; plural noun: portmanteau words
a large trunk or suitcase, typically made of stiff leather and opening into two equal parts.

a word blending the sounds and combining the meanings of two others, for example motel (from ‘motor’ and ‘hotel’) or brunch (from ‘breakfast’ and ‘lunch’).
"podcast is a portmanteau, a made-up word coined from a combination of the words iPod and broadcast"

Anyone else so afflicted?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:39PM

> Anyone else so afflicted?

What do you think?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 03:57PM

I don't think anyone is but me? I'm literally 1 in 7 billion. And earworm disease! I've got it bad. I'll read a post and a line of my song creeps out of the wings. I've heard this is something others have complained about...not naming names.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 14, 2020 04:01PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.