Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 04:58PM

There have been lots of ads recently on tv (Utah market) for GC April 2020. Upbeat, plenty of motion and color and background music, panning across the red seats, especially showing the women on the stand.

These are pretty high-production-value ads. They are apparently trying to market GC to the masses. Should the masses tune in to see the real thing, they will be disappointed IMHO. I don't think we can lay all this on the current quarantine. These ads took a while to put together. I think they were planning to use the 200th anniversary of the First Vision™ as a marketing opportunity.

Having everybody in the US sitting at home on a Sunday morning will be even better. Captive audience bored with nothing to do. OTOH, not having a "studio audience" is going to be a bummer. They really shouldn't even have the MoTabs in attendance, and the "Suits" should only occupy every other seat for proper social distancing.

I assume this ad blitz is yet another innovation from Rusty's pen with the Still, Small Light. Voice. Whatever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 05:02PM

Heartsell

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 07:48PM

You're right, that the cult had been heavily marketing GC to the masses! I cringe every time I hear the Mormons refer to it at a "GLOBAL" church. Even in cancellation of conference was infused with bragging and promoting, and the word "global."

The flop of Mormon conference is one bright spot in this whole mess.

Thanks, Brother of Jerry, for posting about something positive!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 08:31PM

De nada! :)

I don't ever remember seeing a GC ad campaign like this before. These are not cheap talking-head announcements. Some effort went into them.

And you're right. Their moment in the sun has just taken a face plant. Karma's a bitch.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 15, 2020 09:38PM

This will go down as an HISTORIC conference glorifying Joseph Smith’s Boner!

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 09:48AM

Isn't it supposed to be 5 sessions over that weekend. I'll have to listen for the kids next door out playing.

I saw the first ad yesterday. I hadn't seen one until then, but I watch a lot of Netflix these days. We got rid of cable TV and I have limited TV stations. Can they watch conference on line? Did I hear about an app? My daughter only has 4 TV stations up there in Fairbanks.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: March 16, 2020 10:24PM

The Q15 geriatric fools will all be given a choice: 1.) Cancel General conference, 2.) Skip attending conference themselves and look afraid, 3.) Attend conference and maybe catch the coronavirus and die. God should have warned them not to advertise GC this time around.

Posted by: Ted ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 08:38AM

They have to be asking themselves about the timing of all this. All that money and effort spent on these adds for the 200th anniversary, and the COVID interrupts in unprecedented fashion. Almost like Heavenly Father is mad or something. Not wishing this on the Q15 at all, but damn...if they catch it and don't fair well. It really going to be bad for PR, appearance, faith, etc.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 09:15AM

Oh, I bet they are grateful as hell that a pandemic came around and derailed audience shoutouts that they punked gay students at BYU.

Their ad money paints a nice picture of what everybody is just gonna haffta miss. Gee how sad.

This is how shit comes out smelling like a rose, kids.

Saved by the bug!

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: March 17, 2020 09:23AM

Make a commercial like a monster truck rally and cal it

Binge Bore 2020!!!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.