Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 11:51AM

Is there a passage in the bible that basically says this? Or is there one in the BOM?

I was speaking with a lady I've known for years and I mentioned something along that line and I seem to remember it came out of Genesis.

Anyway, the reason I ask is that during this conversation, my mother was pulled in and, my mother being the good morgbot that she is, said she never reads the bible and only the BOM. She sure is missing out. I feel that the bible does have some good teachings...if you can get through some of the fluff in it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 12:31PM

What does she do when the Sunday school curriculum is the Bible?

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:41PM

Exactly. Duh.

TBM's never cease to amaze me with the stupid statements.

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:46PM

If it is in The Book of Mormon then it was first written or stated somewhere else. Perhaps the bible or a philosopher.

How would we know good without knowing evil?
How would we know darkness without knowing light?
How would we know sweet without knowing bitter?
How would we know strength without knowing weakness?

Opposites in conflict. Pretty fucking basic people.

There are no original concepts in The Book of Mormon. Joseph borrowed every concept in Mormonism from some other source.

He was a salesman during a time when people were buying. The product was religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2015 06:50PM by Doubting Thomas.

Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 01:04PM

There is no good and evil. Only perception.

But in the bible it is the tree of the knowledge of good and evil

Genesis 2: 5-17

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 05:21PM

The Book of Mormon: 2 Nephi Chapter 2

11 For it must needs be, that there is an opposition in all things. If not so, my firstborn in the wilderness, righteousness could not be brought to pass, neither wickedness, neither holiness nor misery, neither good nor bad. Wherefore, all things must needs be a compound in one; wherefore, if it should be one body it must needs remain as dead, having no life neither death, nor corruption nor incorruption, happiness nor misery, neither sense nor insensibility.

12 Wherefore, it must needs have been created for a thing of naught; wherefore there would have been no purpose in the end of its creation. Wherefore, this thing must needs destroy the wisdom of God and his eternal purposes, and also the power, and the mercy, and the justice of God.

13 And if ye shall say there is no law, ye shall also say there is no sin. If ye shall say there is no sin, ye shall also say there is no righteousness. And if there be no righteousness there be no happiness. And if there be no righteousness nor happiness there be no punishment nor misery. And if these things are not there is no God. And if there is no God we are not, neither the earth; for there could have been no creation of things, neither to act nor to be acted upon; wherefore, all things must have vanished away.

14 And now, my sons, I speak unto you these things for your profit and learning; for there is a God, and he hath created all things, both the heavens and the earth, and all things that in them are, both things to act and things to be acted upon.

15 And to bring about his eternal purposes in the end of man, after he had created our first parents, and the beasts of the field and the fowls of the air, and in fine, all things which are created, it must needs be that there was an opposition; even the forbidden fruit in opposition to the tree of life; the one being sweet and the other bitter.

16 Wherefore, the Lord God gave unto man that he should act for himself. Wherefore, man could not act for himself save it should be that he was enticed by the one or the other.

You asked...

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:21PM

This sounds like what I was after as for as the "quote" so thanks, moose. :)

I guess I should ask my SIL if there is something similar in the bible since she is very knowledgeable in it.

Posted by: moose ( )
Date: May 26, 2015 06:35PM

I suppose the Adam and Eve story could be interpreted as a "can't know good until you know evil" (disobeying god by eating the fruit) lesson.

I can't think of any bible passage that would boil down to a quote like in the BoM. Sorry!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.