Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hujo2MAGA ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 02:50PM

Hey guys, I normally post stuff like this on r/exmoteens (subreddit) but the iPad I use had it's password switched and my computer (that I'm posting from) doesn't respond to reddit.

Anyway, I'm gonna be 15 in two weeks from today, and my parents are telling me that I need to have my next 5ish years planned. I do, but I act like I don't just because I want to avoid my mission discussions as much as possible.

My parent's are really trying to find alone time with me, and trying to talk about it whenever they can with me, and it's hard to keep blowing it off. My exmo cousins told me that I should just either tell them I'm an exmo and face the consequences, or just tell them I'm going to school for a year first and then when I'm above 18 I can tell them my real feelings.
(I won't be 18 when I graduate, late summer birthday for me)

I'm choosing the "go to school for a year" option, and then tell them. Hopefully I'll get into the U of U, so I can join a frat and be in a good business school as well.
(I'd just use money I saved up to pay for it)

I don't want to be deceitful, and I'm generally an honest person, but sometimes.... you've gotta do what you've gotta do. I don't telling my parents the summer after I graduate is a good idea, because one, they could legally force and ground me to study my scriptures for 2 months, and make my life hell and always bring up mormonism.

If there are any flaws or better ideas, always let me know.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heidi GWOTR ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 03:03PM

I agree. Tell them you'd like to go to school for a year and then go on your mission. Then, do what you'd like after that.

I don't like to lie either, so I know how hard this can be. But, as you say, you got to do what you got to do.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 03:19PM

That sounds like a good plan. What I would tell your parents is that your plan is get good grades, earn some money, and do a year in college before making any further decisions. You are only 15, your plans do not need to be any more detailed than that.

Posted by: dogbloggernli ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 03:24PM

When you turn 18, take your parents off your bank accounts immediately.

Date: August 02, 2020 03:40PM

Oh, hell yeah dude. I'll probably do that immediately lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/2020 03:40PM by hujo2.

Date: August 02, 2020 03:48PM

Do it on your birthday. Withdraw all money and establish your own account, perhaps at another bank altogether.

Date: August 02, 2020 07:35PM

Thats a good idea. I don't think my parents are that machiavellian, but it's always good to be careful.. :)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 08:49PM

BE SURE TO HAVE A CERTIFIED COPY OF YOUR BIRTH CERTIFICATE WITH YOU WHEN YOU DO THIS!!! Do not give the bank one fleck of ammunition to use against you. Have absolutely unquestionable proof of your age (Heck, even take your Mormon baptismal certificate along as EXTRA proof of your age so they can't question your legal right to close out your bank accounts and remove the names of your parents from them!)

You may not get a second chance to strike if the bank can deny you the first time. Do it on your birthday and have UNDENIABLE proof of your age with you.

(If anybody here works in the banking industry, maybe they can add things that have escaped me. Get it right the first time!!)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 03:57PM

You'd think that the Church would not want someone to go on a mission when they don't actually believe in the cause.

The problem with missions is that it isn't even about you. It's about your parents. They get to pat themselves on the back for being good Mormon parents and sit there all proud in Church because their kid is on a mission. It makes them look good.

However you choose to handle it, the most-important thing is that you follow the plan for your own life and not try to please other people.

Of course, as long as you are not yet an adult, that will mean finding some way of keeping under the radar, while you make your own plans.

Date: August 02, 2020 07:37PM

100% true. Thats the code I live by. My life is for me, and not anyone else. Same goes for everyone in the world. Funny how older TBM's will size each other up on how their kids did.

Posted by: ufotofu ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 06:39PM

hujo2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>... I act like I
> don't just because I want to avoid my mission
> discussions as much as possible.
>

You should do it as little, not as much, as possible.

By trying to put it off you will (have them) keep bringing it up. They might can see right through some things.

> My parent's are really trying to find alone time
> with me, and trying to talk about it whenever they
> can with me, and it's hard to keep blowing it off.

> My exmo cousins told me that I should just either
> tell them I'm an exmo and face the consequences,
> or just tell them I'm going to school for a year
> first and then when I'm above 18 I can tell them
> my real feelings.
> (I won't be 18 when I graduate, late summer
> birthday for me)
>
> I'm choosing the "go to school for a year" option,
> and then tell them. Hopefully I'll get into the U
> of U, so I can join a frat and be in a good
> business school as well.
> (I'd just use money I saved up to pay for it)
>
> I don't want to be deceitful, and I'm generally an
> honest person, but sometimes.... you've gotta do
> what you've gotta do. I don't telling my parents
> the summer after I graduate is a good idea,
> because one, they could legally force and ground
> me to study my scriptures for 2 months, and make
> my life hell and always bring up mormonism.
>
> If there are any flaws or better ideas, always let
> me know.

Yes there are flaws. A better idea is to lay it all out there and say you KNOW it isn't true. And besides, you'd rather do better things with your time.

Your cousins are right.

Date: August 02, 2020 06:48PM

That's a risky strategy. Some kids that have done that have had their high school years made completely miserable by their parents i.e no car privileges, no sports or activities, no jobs, no dating, doubling down on church and church activities, etc. That's why I think that normally, the best approach is to do what is expected and to fly under the radar.

Date: August 02, 2020 06:56PM

I know...

I had nothing coming to me so I took what was coming to me.

Date: August 02, 2020 07:38PM

I'm sorry nothing was really going for you. Personally, I play football, and I'm also very financially ambitious as well. I really don't want to lose those lol.

Date: August 02, 2020 07:39PM

I agree summer, my parents have said to me "no church, no football." I can't loose that as it's my main hobby and a place to take out my emotions physically. No cars would suck too hahaha.

Date: August 02, 2020 07:40PM

Hmmm, maybe I'll not avoid it, and just tell them I'm going after a year of college. Like summer said, I don't want to risk privileges.

Date: August 02, 2020 08:28PM

A lot of kids do just that. And by that time, you are out of the house and a lot more independent.

Date: August 02, 2020 06:55PM

Tell them you will just tell everyone the truth.

Some mission

lol

Date: August 02, 2020 07:41PM

My mission is to have FUN in college!!

I can't be a party animal now, but I definitely will be later!!:)

Posted by: iceman9090 ( )
Date: August 02, 2020 10:16PM

+ufotofu:
"Tell them you will just tell everyone the truth.

Some mission"

==I think that is a good plan. A mormon once told me that elder means educator. So, hujo2 should go out there and educate people about the problems of mormonism. Might as well give people the URL for this site as well. They can come here and I'll be hapy to give more information.

~~~~iceman9090

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.