Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: August 05, 2020 08:54PM

Perhaps it just might be the "final nail in the coffin" for your fence-sitting TBM friends, family & GA relatives!

Fast-paced...thoroughly informative...& highly entertaining as well!

Featuring: Dr. Robert Ritner - An Expert Egyptologist's View of Joseph Smith's Book of Abraham...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORNYUyHg3pY (Mormon Stories #1339 Part-1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df4flxToFvM (Mormon Stories #1340 Part-2)

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobisgone ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 10:43AM

Yes, these are the interviews to listen! Historic and important. Excellent job from Dehlin and RFM. I enjoyed every minute!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 05:33PM

"I enjoyed every minute!"

Just so y'all know, the first video is 3.5 hours, the second is 4 hours. That's a lot of minutes!!

I haven't listened. I was already quite convinced that JS's BoA was a total fabrication. I am a bit curious as to how someone could come up with 7+ hours of material about the BoA.

Executive summary of what I think of BoA:
1) Papyri are 2,000 years too recent to have been written by Abraham.
2) We can read hieroglyphics now. What's on the papyri in no way, shape or form resembles what JS claimed the "translation" was.

Date: August 06, 2020 07:42PM

>Brother Of Jerry wrote:
I was already quite convinced that JS's BoA was a total fabrication. I am a bit curious as to how someone could come up with 7+ hours of material about the BoA.

>BeenThereDunnThatExMo writes:
I was already quite convinced that JS's Mormonism was a total fabrication. I am a bit curious as to how someone could come up with another 84-pages of material, compile it and call it the CES Letter.

>Because both the CES Letter and these 2 Mormon Stories videos simply "ice the cake" on these issues in a way perhaps for other folks who might not already be so quite convinced!

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: notmonotloggein ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 08:52PM

I lecture on ancient art. I can tell you that my first year students (who operate on a very rudimentary level), understand enough about the ancient Egyptians to be able to understand why JS did not translate these papyri.

Nuff said.

Date: August 06, 2020 10:02PM

Well...I guess that's the final word on the subject...thus making
these 2 Mormon Stories episodes a moot point!

Appreciate you sharing that with us...but truly wish you had shared that observation with the hoi polloi of Mormondom many years ago!

Thank you for taking the time in chiming in.

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: thanksforlaugh ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 06:18AM

LOL. No need for professional egyptologists, we have the artist who knows...

Date: August 07, 2020 01:20PM

We are not necessarily artists ourselves.

Someone who specializes in Egyptian art studies it in its historical and cultural context. Here, I was merely pointing out that even those who take a very basic art history class are familiar with Egyptian religious beliefs as well as the Book of Breathings.

I'm not criticizing anyone's desire to investigate the minutae of how JS manipulated the papyri to his own ends, just pointing out how even a rudimentary forage into the subject makes it evident that he was doint just that.

Posters are forgiven for not knowing the scope of the study of art history. No reason, however, for allowing ignorance to spawn rudeness.

Date: August 07, 2020 04:18PM

One does not need to be an "artist" to be an art historian. Art historians use art and architecture to study the past.

Someone who specializes in Egyptian art studies it in its historical and cultural context. Here, I was merely pointing out that even those who take a very basic art history class are made familiar with Egyptian religious beliefs as well as the Book of Breathings.

I'm not criticizing anyone's desire to investigate the minutae of how JS manipulated the papyri to his own ends, just pointing out how even a rudimentary forage into the subject makes it evident that he was doing just that.

Posters are forgiven for not knowing the scope of the study of art history. No reason, however, for allowing ignorance to spawn rudeness.

Date: August 07, 2020 04:19PM

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 04:21PM

The points were important, worth making twice.

Posted by: Amustseeindeed ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 06:16AM

Yes. They are long but indeed every minute was interesting to me. Funny attitude that since you know BoA is bogus there could not be interesting ways to discussing Joseph Smith's hoax. Absolutely worth the 7 hours. Pause is invented.

Posted by: Russell Mallard ( )
Date: August 06, 2020 07:04PM

Wow that is insanely long. I would never have enough time to listen to this host. He's so full of himself.

Ritner obviously knows his stuff though.

Posted by: listenwithpausing ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 06:22AM

John Dellin and RFM do excellent job in these interventio with Dr. Ritner.
Thanks John and RFM!!! And thanks to Ritner!

Posted by: printingerror ( )
Date: August 07, 2020 06:23AM

... .. interviews....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.