Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 02:53PM

My wife fed the sister missionaries last night. They mentioned watching this and they laughed about an "awkward moment" when the two moderators/people sitting on the stage with the leader couple didn't say anything. They were just looking at each other. Apparently it was quite amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-E2LOqDTtA

I tried but I just can't stomach this crap. I hate to miss out on the funny.

Maybe it was edited out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 03:15PM

It's a big ask, EB. I can't sit through an hour of it.

Do you mean you listened to it and didn't see/hear anything funny?

So far I've heard a lot of grateful, wonderful, humble and testify. And a few pauses to choke back tears. So familiar.

The Rasbands have 28 grandchildren, so far. Wow. And a grandchild. Her husband jokes that she doesn't look like a great-grandmother. Uh, what does a great-grandmother look like? Old, I guess. But if you're Mormon and you start young and have a huge brood it's not such a feat I guess.

One plus: At least they're socially distancing, it looks like.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2020 03:16PM by Nightingale.

Date: September 20, 2020 03:13PM

Nightingale Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you mean you listened to it and didn't see/hear
> anything funny?

I saw some very funny things like how the male moderator claimed to read his scriptures an hour a day and Rasband commented that with his busy schedule how did he fit it in? Talk about corny. It showed me how out of touch these old people are. They need some "cool" apostle to do this stuff. Rasband was a wet blanket and his wife seemed like the doormat that blanket was left lying on top of.

Date: September 18, 2020 03:19PM

I tried but I "bear my witness" that I just can't do it, even for you EB. Sorry...

Date: September 20, 2020 03:10PM

Thank you for trying NG. You always got me. Thanks again. Sorry to put you through that.

Date: September 20, 2020 07:35PM

My choice. I could have taken a pass. :)

All I could think of, on reflection, is that the male youth perhaps stated a part of the intro that the female youth was supposed to say. She gave a questioning frown while they stared at each other for a few seconds, then they both laughed, then she repeated his words exactly. Maybe that would be funny to a youth audience?

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 03:27PM

Follow the link. It lasts about 20 seconds. I didn't find it funny, but then I make my own mirth.

https://youtu.be/D-E2LOqDTtA?t=482

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 03:37PM

It looks like a flub, or a very weak joke, or both. Nothing to see here.

Date: September 20, 2020 03:06PM

That is it! Thanks! It amazes me that 4 20 year olds thought that was hilarious. It was the only thing they said about it. They asked if we had watched it? Huh? Here are two almost 50 year old people one clearly not wanting anything to do with the church and one only interested in them because she likes to think she is helping her girls who asked us to feed them and we are going to be interested in a devotional for young single adults?

Date: September 20, 2020 03:07PM

Thank you.

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 11:54PM

Oh wait--you weren't talking about the insipid singers eating their microphones and the pianist's dramatic gesture at the end of the first song?

Date: September 20, 2020 03:09PM

I have to admit the music was entertaining. It was like a highly produced boring devotional with the same level of everything Mormon - not quite there in inspirational tone. But wow! Goshen Utah's Jerusalem recreation set. Nothing like The Holyland for one of these things! How apostolic.

Posted by: Engraver of Idols ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 04:34PM

Buy apostasy insurance!

Best help ever!

Apostasy insurance: while a true believer, if you give a small fortune to the church, say a couple million, you can buy apostasy insurance. Whereby, if later you discover the church isn't true and you fall away, you will still be saved by the grave of your hard earned cash--which is all the church really cares about anyway.

Date: September 20, 2020 04:40PM

That's funny - grave instead of grace. I think it's a typo?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2020 05:09PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Zelph the Apostate ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 04:44PM

Yes typo I laughed at it too and left it.

The church is the grave for your cash...

Date: September 20, 2020 06:17PM

Mormonism is a belief system of saved by grave.

Love it.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 07:57PM

I didn't want to watch it, so I read some comments, trying to see if there were any significant timestamps mentioned. There was this one:

"14:25 When your comp forgets what to say during the lesson and you have to finish it for him."

That could be a different moment than what they meant, but it's all I could find.

Date: September 21, 2020 02:33PM

I didn't see it. Just Rasband droning on about Jesus.

Date: September 21, 2020 03:25PM

I didn't watch much of it, as I said, but I got the impression he was trying to sound evangelical. If so, that is misleading, to say the least. I could have been mistaken in my impression though. Although I note there seems to be a decided effort to appear more mainstream, if not EV, in the recent past. I would respect a religious group more if they would present their true selves, not try to fuzz things up to appeal to a wider audience. That is one major explanation for the amazing fall-off rate of LDS converts - what you see is NOT what you get. That's dishonest, to say the least.

Even if I'm mistaken about the speech and manner of Rasband in this video, surely the removal of JS pictures to the back of beyond and the promotion of JC to the foreground in Mormonism is not honest, given the underlying and actual beliefs of the Mormon Church. Or are they really and honestly evolving to that degree?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.