Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 01:26AM

YAY !
==================

"A Salt Lake City police officer is facing a felony charge stemming from an April encounter in which he ordered a police dog to attack a Black man who was on his knees with his hands raised, seemingly complying with officer commands."

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/09/17/913961608/utah-officer-faces-felony-charge-for-ordering-police-dog-to-bite-black-man

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 09:58AM

I wonder whether or not the man had resisted arrest at first, or attempted to flee before the video started and before the dog was ordered to attack him. Sometimes not everything shows up on the video. The reason that matters isn't to excuse in any degree, the crime committed by the police officer against the man. On the contrary, if the man never posed any danger nor attempted to flee or even if he did attempt to fight or flee at first, if he gave up before the dogs attacked, there should be additional charges or an increased status of the crime to the level of "aggrivated" against the police officers. The police can't be allowed to extract revenge themselves, outside of the court-administered justice. But what happens before the video starts can still be relevant.

I remember seeing the Rodney King beating video on TV, back shortly after it happened. It was terrible and made me angry. When I found out that it took quite a chase for the police to catch him, I still was angry and saw the beating as wrong. At the same time I understood a little bit how and why it happened, not that it was right. Basically, the adrenaline-driven police decided after the chase, to carry out what they saw as justice themselves, instead of only pressing additional charges related to the resisting of the arrest. To me, that aggrivated or increased the level of crimes committed by the police.

Even though the motivations of the police vary in each case, the lack of police training and vetting of officers is a common factor. The prosecutors need to understand the motives of the officer in every case. It is possible for the police to act un-justly out of fear for their own lives while still committing a crime if the decision made was none-the-less, against established protocols and training. In that case, perhaps the crime may not be aggrivated. But in many cases, the difficult choices for the officer put him at personal risk routinely. I can't imagine why we would want to defund the training needed to help these officers make good choices in these kinds of situations.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2020 10:09AM by azsteve.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 10:27AM

This is one of those 'Rights' v. 'Powers' problems...

The police are not given the 'Right' to play judge & jury, but they do have that 'Power'.

Rodney King was simply the first time White/Privileged civilians were able to see police playing judge and jury. But Black and Brown people mostly grew up knowing this goes on. Disobey and you get punished, if the cops think people will automatically take their word over the word of a human with too much melanin.

"So before you could take him to Central Jail, you had to swing by County-USC medical E.R.?"

"Yeah, sarge, he tripped and fell after we had him cuffed... Twice...!"

There's another factor that plays out: "This can't be the first time this MoFo has done this! All those other times he thinks he got away with it, so this beating is to punish him for all those other misdeeds!!"

Obviously this is not a standard practice throughout the entire department, but it is standard practice for a segment of officers. "This guy absolutely deserves what I'm gonna do to him!" And way too many White people can see their kind of logic in the situation. "How many times did this mugger get away with it; how many people has he hurt?!"

I don't have enough experience with uniformed officers, but I wonder if the segment of 'punishers' that exists does so because they're not smart enough, or disciplined enough to move up into a detective position?

But Power corrupts...so maybe they're just too weak to resist the allure of becoming laws unto themselves? And getting high fives from your brother officers has to feel good.

"How else they gonna learn, Sarge?"

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 10:04PM

Nothing says Utah like the sound of small, racest brain trying to

shovel hate in large doses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2020 10:06PM by saucie.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 10:43AM

The solution to America's police problem is simple: better pay, better screening, and let police be police.

What "defund the police" really means is reform, reorient, restore, and reallocate resources to other agencies where appropriate.

Think hard about this.

What do we want the police to do? Maintain public order, or maintain control?

America has the highest number of people in the world under the control of the criminal justice system. Why?

We currently task police with removing the homeless, mental health duties, and domestic dispute resolution. Why are we employing armed officers to do social work?

It costs tens and hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to incarcerate someone and then we make it almost impossible for an individual with a record to find gainful employment — increasing the likelihood of them returning to prison. Remember, you are paying for this. It would make more sense to spend the money on neighbourhood revitalisation, education and schools to keep people from going to prison in the first place. Teachers cost less than jails.

Guys with guns are not the solution to every problem and you can't arrest your way out of every problem. Get public service officers to the social work and only use police for police work.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 11:54AM

There's a sobriquet for some sections of major cities: 'The Mean Streets'. And it doesn't refer to the condition of the street and sidewalk surfaces.

It's my personal, unproven, off the wall opinion that things ain't gonna change less'en you take babies away from poor, disadvantaged humans and have those babies raised by enlightened, cultured, White People who know how to drink tea with a raised pinkie finger.

Please, dear ghawd, let us all become one beige-colored, educated, polite, soft-spoken society of liberal arts college graduates!!

Plus I think that officially creating American Royalty would go a long way to straightening things out. I have practiced 'knuckling' my forehead and I think I do a right proper job of it now! Surely I will be tossed a sovereign or two for my cultural piety!

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 09:03PM

I nominate Kanye and Kim.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 12:20PM

“I know it’s hard being a cop. I know it’s hard. I know that shit’s dangerous. I know it is, ok?

"But some jobs can’t have bad apples. Ok?

"Some jobs, everybody gotta be good. Like pilots. You know, American Airlines can’t be like, “Most of our pilots like to land. We just got a few bad apples…that like to crash into mountains. Please bear with us.”

-Chris Rock in Tambourine (2018)

Excerpt from a recent interview with Rock:

*Dave Itzkoff: Looking back at the beginning of “Tamborine,” the first several minutes is you talking about police violence and raising Black children in a racist country. Does it feel futile when you discuss these issues and it doesn’t change anything?

**Rock: I remember when “Tamborine” dropped, I got a lot of flak over that cop thing. There was a lot of people trying to start a fire that never really picked up. It’s so weird that, two years later, it’s right on. I remember watching the news and Trump said “bad apples.” It was like, you did it! You did it!

*Itzkoff: But you told people two years ago —

**Rock: I did. But so did Public Enemy. So did KRS-One. So did Marvin Gaye. There’s something about seeing things on camera. If O.J. kills Nicole on camera, the trial is two days. [Laughs.] It’s two days trying to figure out what kind of cell he deserves. It’s just Johnnie going, [Johnnie Cochran voice] “Well I think he needs at least a 12-by-8. Can he have ESPN?” That would be the whole trial.

*Itzkoff: But there was videotape of Rodney King’s beating, too. It doesn’t assure any particular outcome.

**Rock: Yeah, man. Put it this way: This is the second great civil rights movement. And Dr. King and those guys were amazing. But they knew nothing about money. They didn’t ask for anything. At the end of the day, the things we got — it was just, hey, can you guys be humane? All we got was, like, humanity. If they had it to do all over again, in hindsight, there would be some attention paid to the financial disparity of all the years of — let’s not even count slavery, let’s just count Jim Crow.

You’re talking about a system that really didn’t end until about 1973. And I’m born in ’65 in South Carolina. I’m probably in a segregated wing of a hospital — there’s no way in the world I was next to a white baby. Even if the hospital wasn’t segregated, I was in a whole other room and that room didn’t have the good milk and the good sheets. My parents couldn’t own property in certain neighborhoods when I was born. There was an economic disparity there, and that was not addressed in the original civil rights movement. It was a huge oversight. So there’s no money and there’s no land. If you don’t have either one of those, you don’t really have much.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/16/arts/television/chris-rock-fargo.html?searchResultPosition=1

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2020 03:38AM by Beth.

Posted by: Onanymous ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 05:55PM

Would it be okay if it was a White man

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: September 18, 2020 06:03PM

Absolutely not.

Date: September 18, 2020 09:18PM

HELL NO!

Date: September 18, 2020 09:51PM

It's amusing, no? Whenever people ask that question about white victims, we liberals say it is totally unacceptable. But when the victim is POC, nary a peep is heard from conservatives.

Date: September 18, 2020 11:44PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's amusing, no? Whenever people ask that
> question about white victims, we liberals say it
> is totally unacceptable. But when the victim is
> POC, nary a peep is heard from conservatives.

Then maybe "Utah Officer Faces Felony Charge For Ordering Police Dog To Bite Man" would've been sufficient headline

Date: September 18, 2020 11:50PM

DtA's subject line serves three purposes:

1. It points out police brutality;
2. It points out that police brutality is disproportionately directed at people of color, mostly Black men; and
3. Utah!

Did anyone do some searching to see if the officers are Mormons?

And why is there a college *in Utah* named Dixie State?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2020 11:51PM by Beth.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 19, 2020 12:19AM

>And why is there a college *in Utah* named Dixie State?

Back in early days of Utah, BY sent people to settle southern Utah with the purpose of growing cotton. Despite the failure of the effort, it led to the area around St. George (or St. Jarge if you are from southern Utah) becoming known as Utah's Dixie.
As a result when the college was established it became known as Dixie College. There is currently a discussion going on about renaming it.

Date: September 19, 2020 12:21AM

They don't need to rename it; changing the spelling from Dixie to Dicksy should do the trick.

Date: September 19, 2020 12:25AM

Ah. Thank you :)

Jarge. SMH. Maybe they'll secede.

Date: September 20, 2020 08:00PM

Beth Wrote:
> DtA's subject line serves three purposes:
>
> 1. It points out police brutality;
> 2. It points out that police brutality is
> disproportionately directed at people of color,
> mostly Black men;

No it doesn't, since it's purely anecdotal by definition. The "i effin love science!!1!" crowd should know what anecdotal "evidence" is

Date: September 21, 2020 12:18AM

Are you of the school of The Bad Apple?

Date: September 21, 2020 09:10AM

Beth Wrote:
------------------------------------------------
> Are you of the school of The Bad Apple?

So when a black cop or criminal attacks a white person then ...

Date: September 21, 2020 12:29PM

asked and answered

Posted by: MCR ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 08:18PM

^^^^ God, I wish I could like comments on this board.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: September 19, 2020 12:20AM

Would it have happened if it were a white man?

Posted by: exMmo0 ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 11:35PM

[|] Wrote:
> Would it have happened if it were a white man?

no way to answer that of course except to refer to cases of white men being unjustly attacked by cops I suppose

Date: September 18, 2020 06:03PM

The video is quite clear. The man was no threat to anyone at the time: and at the time is all that matters when discussing the use of violent force; he could be Jack the Ripper and the police still must refrain from unnecessary violence.

That cop will, and should, enjoy a vacation at taxpayer expense.

Date: September 19, 2020 12:29AM

Lot's Wife Wrote:

> That cop will, and should, enjoy a vacation at
> taxpayer expense.

He's been on paid vacation since April

Date: September 19, 2020 12:32AM

I meant in a cozy room with meals and clothing provided.

Date: September 19, 2020 12:35AM

I know. Just saying no one cares until people get the body cam footage.

How long did it take for them to release the body cam footage of Mr. Prude's murder? FOREVER (he died in March) and a FOIA request.

Meanwhile these guys are getting paid.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2020 12:58AM by Beth.

Date: September 19, 2020 01:24AM

He should live in a gated community (prison).

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 11:32AM

Police dogs are a whole topic. They are one of the dirty secrets of LE.

Let the dog do the brutalizing while the cop looks on.

Posted by: not logged in today ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 12:42PM

And even if they are innocent, people aren't permitted to defend themselves against the dogs because, well, police. If they try, they will simply have more charges thrown at them.

We have become a society where police dogs arguably have more rights than humans.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: September 20, 2020 09:44PM

FYI, the command for a police dog to let go is “release”. In case you find one clamped onto your leg.

Date: September 20, 2020 09:48PM

What's the command to get an alien to release my face ?

Date: September 20, 2020 09:54PM

I'm an atheist and it's contagious!

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: September 21, 2020 01:36AM

I think that only works if it's the dog handler giving the command. Besides, I wouldn't want to get between their dogs and the handlers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.