Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 12:34AM

Yet another murder in the name of religion.
I'm glad the police killed that rotten murderer.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 02:23AM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 10:55AM

Then the attacker waited outside of the school and asked students to identify the teacher.

It could have been a Jewish or Catholic teacher in America.

"Banning" a particular religion won't solve this problem.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 02:52PM

Indeed. I, like most people over here in France, are atheists or lukewarm agnostic, but I don't think it's actually a strictly religious problem. Put simply, for me it comes down to this: it's wrong to kill people just because you disagree with them.

I would add that it is not wrong (particularly for a member of the police) to kill someone who is trying to kill you with a large knife...

I would also note, despite my own atheism, in all these cases (some American "Christians" also come to mind...), it is people who have been pushed into fanatical interpretations of the religions in question, past reason and into the horrific realm where doctrinal purity is considered more important than human lives and can be used to justify any barbarity.

Normal believers - and I have lived, worked, eaten, discussed, joked and laughed in the midst of muslims for 37 of my 60 years - do not do this.

So we don't need islamophobia.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 07:11PM

I think it's a matter of education. Immigrants to Western countries need to understand the concept of freedom of expression. I think they need to be told about this in their entrance interviews, and specifically asked to sign off on their understanding of the concept (or denied entry.) It can't just be taken for granted.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 08:01PM

summer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's a matter of education. Immigrants to
> Western countries need to understand the concept
> of freedom of expression. I think they need to be
> told about this in their entrance interviews, and
> specifically asked to sign off on their
> understanding of the concept (or denied entry.) It
> can't just be taken for granted.

This is a great idea, summer!!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 08:17PM

You'd still have the crazies, like the Australian who killed the Muslims in New Zealand; or Tim McVey; or the Michiganders who wanted to kidnap/kill their governor or, alternatively, off the governor of Virginia.

Education helps, but it doesn't fix crazy.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 09:15PM

Just because you can’t solve all problems with one solution doesn’t mean you shouldn’t solve some problems with one solution.
I agree with Summer’s solution. Foreign born who wants into US? That’s fine. Just prove you understand and accept the sacred principles upon which our society is based? We like our society and want to preserve it. If you’re not in agreement. That’s fine. Go elsewhere.

Date: October 19, 2020 09:56PM

I wasn't disagreeing with summer, merely stating that in any population you will have idiots. Hence my point about McVey: in the US over the last decade or two, domestic terrorists have been a much bigger problem than foreign terrorists.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 11:24PM

Agreed.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 09:53PM

summer Wrote:

The homegrown terrorists who blew up the London Underground 15yrs ago were well educated.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7_July_2005_London_bombings#:~:text=The%20explosions%20were%20caused%20by,to%20cause%20injury%20or%20damage.

As if a well trained terrorist can't pass an entrance interview? I don't think there's any easy answer to the world wide problem of terrorism. And it's not like it's just Muslims committing terrorist acts. In the US the #1 threat is white supremacist groups, according to the US Dept. of Homeland Security.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/01/us/politics/white-supremacy-homeland-security.html
But even white supremacists won't lop off your head for drawing a frigging cartoon. They'll kill you for a lot of other things, like being the Governor of Michigan, but draw all the cartoons you want!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2020 09:54PM by schrodingerscat.

Date: October 20, 2020 03:18AM

I agree entirely, Summer. The ironic thing is that the class for which the teacher was killed was about... freedom of speech.

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: October 20, 2020 08:59AM

summer Wrote:

Fanaticism is the crux of the problem, not a lack of education. While education can assist in solving this problem, there are people (and Schrodenger's Cat is right about this) who, with all of the education in the world, never relinquish their fanatical beliefs. While there are no clear ways to determine if a person's beliefs are fanatical, I think that one hopeful determinant is whether or not the person is willing to change his/her views based on observable facts on the ground or if they continue to hold on to their beliefs despite any contradictory evidence. Put another way, if beliefs are not mutable when on-the-ground evidence contradicts them, then it can be argued that the person holding those beliefs is, at the very least, sympathetic to fanaticism.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 01:48PM

Again I say you cannot deal rationally with an irrational person!
During Brighan Young's reign he would send the danites to slit your throat if you tried to leave.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2020 01:50PM by thedesertrat1.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 02:15PM

The teacher wouldn’t hand over the brass plates. French cops are more responsive than those in ancient Jerusalem.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 02:32PM

Well, your "Nephi" was shot dead.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 02:52PM

Now the French will dwindle in unbelief. But they’ll have outstanding food while they do it.

Date: October 19, 2020 03:28PM

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 06:55PM

And great wine. Too bad I was only there for a weekend. So much fruit of the vine, so little time.

Date: October 19, 2020 04:13PM

> What if Mormons behaved this way in response to
> The Book of Mormon on Broadway.

Uh, that would be a bad thing. Is that what you are struggling so hard to imply?

Posted by: Sacre Bleu! ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 04:14PM

Lot's Wife Wrote:
> > What if Mormons behaved this way in response to
> > The Book of Mormon on Broadway.
>
> Uh, that would be a bad thing. Is that what you
> are struggling so hard to imply?

I guess it would mean we would never have to endure another episode of South Park.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: October 19, 2020 05:35PM

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: October 20, 2020 02:53AM

I expressed my feelings for Islam, and Facebook banned me for three days. To be fair, I also expressed my feelings for Christianity and Judaism. Those feelings will not be changed by censorship.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.