Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 09:43AM

Here's a short video of Gal Gadot digitally inserted into the 1963 version of "Cleopatra" replacing Elizabeth Taylor.

https://youtu.be/Rhm6qcdK38A

(LANGUAGE: The video uses a rap song in Arabic with some swear words in English.)

And before anyone starts complaining, Cleopatra was not black or even Egyptian. She was Greek. Cleopatra was a descendent of Ptolemy, one of Alexander's generals who took over Egypt after Alexander's death. The historical record tells us that Cleopatra was informed, intelligent, spoke several languages, and was one of the few if not the only Ptolemaic ruler of Egypt who even bothered to learn Egyptian. Images of Cleopatra on coins suggest that she looked more like Phoebe Waller-Bridge instead of Elizabeth Taylor or Gal Gadot:

https://www.greecehighdefinition.com/blog/2019/6/1/what-did-cleopatra-look-like-animation-present-the-3d-facial-reconstruction-of-cleopatra

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2020 09:44AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 12:27PM

Someone recently posted something FB about "The next time they film the Cleopatra story they do it right", accompanied by a picture of a very dark-skinned African American celebrity (I'm thinking Rhianna), and I thought "Huh? Wouldn't Gal Gadot be a closer look?"
OTOH, if you've ever seen the Michael Jackson 'Remember the Time' video with Imam--IMO she nails the look of a Nubian queen of Egypt.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 01:13PM

Mexicans just can't catch a break!!!!

Posted by: Margaret's Glasses ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 01:16PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Someone recently posted something FB about "The
> next time they film the Cleopatra story they do it
> right", accompanied by a picture of a very
> dark-skinned African American celebrity (I'm
> thinking Rhianna), and I thought "Huh? Wouldn't
> Gal Gadot be a closer look?"
> OTOH, if you've ever seen the Michael Jackson
> 'Remember the Time' video with Imam--IMO she nails
> the look of a Nubian queen of Egypt.

This is what is known as the "We wuz Kangz" school of history.

The white equivalent is "we woz Atlanteens".

Date: October 21, 2020 01:48PM

"White" people didn't exist yet back then.

The first modern humans to repopulate Europe at the end of the last Ice Age were curly-haired, dark-skinned, blue eyed hunters that had a tenuous living in a harsh, cold environment around 12,000 years ago:

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/cheddar-man-mesolithic-britain-blue-eyed-boy.html

"New research into ancient DNA extracted from the skeleton has helped scientists to build a portrait of Cheddar Man and his life in Mesolithic Britain.
The biggest surprise, perhaps, is that some of the earliest modern human inhabitants of Britain may not have looked the way you might expect.

Dr Tom Booth is a postdoctoral researcher working closely with the Museum's human remains collection to investigate human adaptation to changing environments.

'Until recently it was always assumed that humans quickly adapted to have paler skin after entering Europe about 45,000 years ago,' says Tom. 'Pale skin is better at absorbing UV light and helps humans avoid vitamin D deficiency in climates with less sunlight.'

However, Cheddar Man has the genetic markers of skin pigmentation usually associated with sub-Saharan Africa.

This discovery is consistent with a number of other Mesolithic human remains discovered throughout Europe."

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 03:24PM

I think Margaret's Glasses is one of our man-with-a-thousand-faces conservatives trying to make a derisive comment about modern black politics. To that extent your logical and evidence-based exposition is unlikely to make an impression.

Date: October 21, 2020 03:41PM

Posted by: Anon for the mo ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 04:01PM

Cleopatra was around two thousand years ago, not twelve thousand... White people were around by then. Cleopatra has curly hair in her portraits but a big nose.

But she wasn't an ethnic Egyptian and the pyramids etc had already been in Egypt long before she ruled the place.

Date: October 21, 2020 04:35PM

Anybody was explicitly describing Atlantans, not Cleopatra.

Date: October 21, 2020 05:20PM

which wouldn't have been possible as "white" people didn't exist until agriculture and a lack of Vitamin D in their diet. People became lighter to adapt. Hunters and coastal people retained much of their pigmentation at high latitudes because of their animal and fish diet.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 08:16AM

That's very likely true. I was reading a history source that could be even more reliable than current academia/science. Geffry Mammoths history of the English kings written in 1100s, speaks of a certain chieftain, Brutus (whom Britain is named after) who came from Greece, he sailed north after the Trojan War, and set up camp with his men on the Island. It's very likely that the Ancient Nordic People had dark hair, perhaps curly, as the ancient pottery from Greece shows.

The Blonde and blue eyed looking people were actually the Anglo Saxons (Germans) who came after the island had been deserted by wars and plagues in the 400-500s.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 10:38AM

Since it doesn't affect my golf handicap, and no Mexicans were harmed in the process, the Maca-version of the naming of "Britain" is not a big deal to me.

But confusion reigns when one reads the current consensus regarding the source of the island's name. One supposes that current historians must have conspired against good old Geoffrey of Monmouth.

"Geoffrey of Monmouth ... was a British cleric and one of the major figures in the development of British historiography and the popularity of tales of King Arthur. He is best known for his chronicle The History of the Kings of Britain which was widely popular in its day, being translated into other languages from its original Latin. It was given historical credence well into the 16th century, but is now considered historically unreliable."

--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_of_Monmouth

Date: October 23, 2020 05:16PM

The British Isles were named after a tribe known to the ancient Greeks as the "Prytannoi" or "Brittanoi" in the fourth century BCE.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pytheas

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britain_(place_name)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2020 05:17PM by anybody.

Date: October 23, 2020 05:25PM

Yeah, yeah. And next you'll tell us that the capital of France was not named after Priam's son.

Date: October 23, 2020 06:15PM

Paris is named after the Parisii tribe. The ancient Roman name was Lutetia.

Date: October 23, 2020 06:44PM

Oh darn!

Don't tell me Herodotus's ethnographies are imaginary as well. I'm still hoping the hyperboreans turn out to be the Ten Tribes hiding under the ice cap. . .

Posted by: ? ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 04:38PM

Margaret's Glasses Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Someone recently posted something FB about "The
> > next time they film the Cleopatra story they do
> it
> > right", accompanied by a picture of a very
> > dark-skinned African American celebrity (I'm
> > thinking Rhianna), and I thought "Huh?
> Wouldn't
> > Gal Gadot be a closer look?"
> > OTOH, if you've ever seen the Michael Jackson
> > 'Remember the Time' video with Imam--IMO she
> nails
> > the look of a Nubian queen of Egypt.
>
> This is what is known as the "We wuz Kangz" school
> of history.
>
> The white equivalent is "we woz Atlanteens".

Eh?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 21, 2020 10:00PM

Gal Gadot has a nice figure but I don't think she is very pretty.

Let the flaming begin.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 10:14AM

Good thing everybody doesn't like the same thing. Although most want to be the same thing.

Pretty is for sale anyway. The cosmetic industry took in est. 49.2 billion in 2019. Somewhere around 166 million women in the US including those under 3 who don't wear makeup yet. That is quite a bit of eyeshadow and lipstick per person.

I look around and I don't think it's working out all that well. A smile is still your best bet. It will cover what make-up won't.

Posted by: Curelom Rancher ( )
Date: October 23, 2020 05:32PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.