Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: FergotMuhNeim ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 10:00PM

OK, so far be it from me to rain on anybody's parade, but the #givethanks thing is WAY out of hand. It's not just that it's barf-worthy, which it totally is. That I can handle. The thing is, *most* of my Facebook friends aren't Mormon, and yet upwards of 3/4 of my feed is one gag inducing gush-fest after the other telling everyone how grateful they are that a prophet told them to tell everyone how grateful they are.

The really dumb thing is that every Mormon and their dog is tagging every other Mormon and a stray cat in every goddamn post, so I'm seeing #givethanks from half a zillion Mormons I've never met or care to even know exist, but are somehow related to the Mormons I am friends with.

I'm not a fan of Facebook challenges in general anyway, but this is over the top. Also, it pisses me the hell off. This year sucks in so many ways. This holiday season sucks horribly on top of this godawful sucky year. I don't want the fake positivity. I want to wallow in how much 2020 honestly blows, or at least not have a solid week of sparkles and sunshine from total strangers gushing about how much they have to be thankful for - not because they're actually grateful, but because some old geezer who couldn't find a hashtag on his device if he tried told them to go and flood social media with their positivity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 10:15PM

I have to give an amen to that.

Out of all the sh!t this religion could be doing to help people who are out of food, on the streets and COVID, THIS is what they do to keep people busy?

How about donating a few million dollars to make sure health care workers have what they need or helping small businesses stay afloat? How about a miracle using all that professed connection to God and faith that actually stops the virus?

If this pandemic has done one thing, it has revealed how useless religion (most) actually is when push comes to shove. For all their bluster about faith and healing, they have shown themselves to be complete frauds at best, and perpetuating the practices that spread the pandemic at worse.

These people actually need a prophet to tell them to express their thankfulness? Pathetic. Normal people do this all the time in a variety of ways, without making some kind of lemming PR stunt out of it.

I'm so glad I never opened an account o Facebook.

Posted by: guy34 ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 10:44PM

I did a #givethanks about how finding out there is no god has made my life better. I think if all of us did that it could be interesting.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 21, 2020 11:49PM

Just start your own fb trend.

#Flushyourtoilet

Why it feels so good to get rid of shit that smells so bad.

Posted by: guy34 ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 08:15AM

Not sure if that would get 1.2+ million hashtags. But its 2020, you never know.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: November 22, 2020 12:00PM

I tend to say thank you to people who have done something beneficial for me. These would be people that I actually know and can see.
I just listened to part of a ward Sacrament broadcast and the closing prayer was actually a 3 minute talk.
Giving thanks to who may be a hypothetical being does not seem reasonable not rational to me.
My take. Agree or disagree as you will

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2020 12:47PM by thedesertrat1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.