Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Moonbeam ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 05:45AM

I was reading a link from the mormonthink website to an old 2005 discussion here about mormon-owned corporations.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon410.htm

I wonder two things:

1. What is the latest info on what the church owns?

2. Who is the main man behind the curtain? I assume the great and spacious office building in SLC has these answers...

ok, three things...

3. Obviously the top dogs have an idea of the $$$, but who is the puppet and who the puppeteer? Are the suits from corporate telling Monson to get the tithing rolling? I wonder how openly the 12+ talk about money, or if they are shielded from the bottom $ line... like, shut up, keep preaching, and we'll keep your salary and benefits rolling.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mo larkey ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 07:49AM

I have heard the word Ensign Advisers thrown around..

don't know - maybe some will chime in.

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 09:30PM

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 11:28AM

Wasn't Steve Young on its board or something like that? Along with someone named Gay? Some sort of fund management company

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 07:56AM

The Corporation Of The Presiding Bishopric led by David Burton Presiding Bishop, is the governing body for the Mormon treasury.

They in turn report in and take guidance from the Corporation Of The President Of The Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints led by Thomas Monson.

Who manages the money - you do so stop giving them any!

Posted by: villager ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 02:55PM

In his place is Gary Stevenson. He grew up in Cache valley. He and his Partner Scott Watterson have made a boat load of money on what is now ICON fitness. They have both been higher ups in the church. But that is how it works, the more money you make & the more tithing you pay makes the GA's notice.

I guess one can say they have been "very blessed".

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 10:46AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: April 07, 2011 07:58AM

From the Salt Lake Tribune Article:

"[The largest investment fund in Utah] is managed by Ensign Peak, a nonprofit corporation organized in 1997 to "benefit, perform the functions of, or carry out the purposes of" the LDS Church, according to Ensign's articles of incorporation."

"Ensign Peak's board of trustees includes LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley and two members of the LDS Church's Quorum of Twelve Apostles, Robert D. Hales and Henry B. Eyring. Hales is a former general manager of Gillette, vice president of Max Factor International and president of Hughes Broadcasting Corp."

"Ensign Peak's president is Roger G. Clarke, an investment and options scholar who concurrently serves as chairman of Analytic Investors Inc., a Los Angeles firm with $3.1 billion in assets under management, as of Dec. 31, 2002."

Posted by: Moonbeam ( )
Date: April 09, 2011 03:02PM

Thanks, that's a start... I'm guessing this is pretty difficult info to find since this is fairly old.

I spoke with my money and my feet a long time ago, but the sheeple keep giving...er paying. Of course, if we don't know the full list of assets how do we know what to avoid?

This points to the thought at at least some of the higher-ups are chosen because of their business skills. It's really a fairly brilliant (immoral) financial plan... Get a few million people to run the church's daily/weekly business of operating for free (cleaning toilets and running wards), while recruiting their friends to join. All while the top few men in the spacious building rake in the $$. Then, when you learn more (temple, esp pre-1990), you're freaked out enough that you stay. And, when you're high enough up to know the real dirt, the promise of money in your future is enough to keep you from leaving.

Just some thoughts. Would still like to know more about the $$.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:08PM

Stumbling Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Ensign Peak's president is Roger G. Clarke, an
> investment and options scholar who concurrently
> serves as chairman of Analytic Investors Inc., a
> Los Angeles firm with $3.1 billion in assets under
> management, as of Dec. 31, 2002."
"Currently I am the President of Ensign Peak Advisors, an investment management affiliate of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

"We were one of the early pioneers of the global asset allocation area. We had clients in the Far East, Australia, the UK, and the US. We had a global client base as we dealt in global markets."
http://www.imno.org/articles.asp?qid=123&sid=18

WOW! What would Jesus do with this money? He make tons of money with a professor who had a derivatives theory and turned it into being a pioneer in International Markets instead of doing anything remotely connected to helping as a religion.

It is interesting to read that he is the president of an "investment management affiliate of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints." Yeah, a "church." Go figure. Only in America can you write as if you were working for a profit company and yet you write that you are a president of an affiliate of a non-profit religion???

Posted by: Q ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 12:29PM

wow. just read the business article. all that is running through my mind is the story of jesus upending the money men at the temple. how can mormons not see the direct comparison?!?? an abomination to even have jesus in their church name!!!!

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: August 10, 2013 09:58AM

finding out your "religion" is just a business with a front as a club to help your existential angst for money.

Posted by: Lost in Time ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 06:55PM

So can he tell me what my stock in ZCMI is worth?

Posted by: sanitationengineer ( )
Date: August 08, 2013 09:04PM

Well if it still is ZCMI on the certificates it is worthless.

Posted by: top ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 05:11PM

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 07:10PM

Why does Roger G. Clarke even bother with the $3.1 Billion if he is to direct the investment of $100B?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 05:13PM

The church will pay a much lower rate than his personal business earns. I bet he manages for the church at close to pro bono terms.

Posted by: Mallet Knocker ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 03:23AM

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,984351,984625#msg-984625

The full Bloomberg Businessweek in-depth piece mentioned in the Exmormon.org post begins at http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-07-10/how-the-mormons-make-money

Posted by: diablo ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 04:31AM

It's the Jesuits.

Seriously.

Check out John Peter De Smet and his dealings with Bring'um Young.

We're not in Kansas anymore Toto.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 03:40PM

diablo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's the Jesuits.
>
> Seriously.

You sure it's not the Illuminati? Or the Masons? Or maybe a cabal of Jewish bankers? My hunch is it's the Knights Templar.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 04:37AM

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: August 09, 2013 07:25AM

There is an entire Accounting Dept. in the Church Office Building. I know, because I had to deal with them every day.

I could call the IT Dept. if something went wrong with my computer. They would actually take over my computer and look around, to see what the problem was.

Just like any Corporation, there's a head office where things are managed from.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 09:27PM

Wow, I was going to answer this thread, only to discover that I already did - in 2013! LOL

Posted by: Beth ( )
Date: December 18, 2019 09:30PM

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 19, 2019 10:44AM

Posted by: Flyer ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 11:37AM

With all the talk of EPA, there's investment fund or co.? Maybe it's totally separate but there is some mention of the Perpetual Education Fund

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HGGC

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_C._Gay

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: December 21, 2019 03:51PM

I wouldn't expect them to be volunteers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.