Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 01:15PM

My kids are still all in TBMs. Grown with kids and grandkids of their own now. Most of the FB posts have been about being thankful for family or the gospel or even the profit o god. But today, one of them posted a hurtful thing about her new found pyramid scheme by slamming the way she was brought up without magic potions and how glad she has them now.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 01:22PM

My problem with gratitude is that it becomes a vehicle to shut up, quiet or silence those who have been victimized by oppressors.

I don't want to be told that I treat others so kindly because the church says so.

Maybe I feel grumpy, but feeling gratitude is way for others to tell me that I have no right to feel pissed off.

(Replacing negativity with positive comments)

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 01:26PM

Assigned expression of gratitude with a sharp dig!

Yay! She's already got the Passive Aggressive thing down pat!

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 02:45PM

You look great today, D&D. Definitely better than usual!

Date: November 23, 2020 02:51PM

Snort! You are so clever----for a change.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 02:59PM

No, no. You should be proud!

Really.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 01:53PM

I saw a commercial for the Global Faith Leader's message.

It said Healing through Gratitude.

Really? Why not preventative medicine through distance, cleaning and masks?

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 04:09PM

Exactly, Heartless re actual physical preventive measures.

So now people (or their families) will feel guilty if "gratitude" doesn't "heal" them.

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 01:56PM

I'm not on FB but, if I were, I could have a lot of fun getting the mormons all PO'd.

Give thanks for -

- the JS Papers, which proved that JS tried to sell the BOM copyright

- the 10/90 Hinckley GC address, which said it was OK to use "Mormon"

- the Second Manifesto of 1904 which ended polygamy once and for all

- Zelph the White Lamanite cuz it's funny

- [that thing that happened November 3]

- the removal of the temple penalties and naked poncho touching

- people who show consideration for others' safety and lives by wearing masks [passive-aggressive shaming back atcha mormons]

Posted by: losingmyreligion ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 02:44PM

Day 1: I am thankful for a prophet that through the priesthood of God passed down to him from Peter, James, and John healed the Covid-19 sick and afflicted and instructed his followers in doing the same.
Day 2: I am thankful for a living prophet that told us all to wear a mask out in public.
Day 3: I am thankful for a prophet that gave one talk without reminding me to pay a full tithing.
Am I caught up now???

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 02:33PM

It's a form of the humble brag.

I'm soooo very THANKFUL for my wonderful husband, job, kids, house, vacation, church, SELF, righeousness.

Date: November 23, 2020 03:00PM

Exactly.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 05:20PM

Yep.

It was inevitable that this would also evolve into their competition to show they are being more perfect and righteous than the next sheep. "I'm more thankful than you!"

It's like a warmup for their Xmas brag letters.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: November 25, 2020 05:44PM

I absolutely agree, with gemini and dorothy, it's become a way to brag, I don't want to give public thanks unless it's something that everyone can be thankful for. Otherwise I'm contributing to someone's bad feelings.

I'm surprised that Nelson started this whole thing on facebook and everyone went with it. It shows their arrogance.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 03:21PM

Ouch. Well, look at it this way. Today it's essential oils, a few months down the road it will be wax warmers, and then at some point, nail strips. You have to laugh at it, right?

Posted by: silvergenie ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 04:35PM

A couple of nights ago I was watching one of those ten minute time wasters on youtube when an ad came on. Suddenly I was watching a thin faced elderly man smirking at the camera and saying in a soft creepy voice, "Let me give you a prescription..."

Yes,it was Dusty Rusty. How on earth can TCOJCOLDS give thanks for having such a non predicting laughing stock as their prophet?

Believe me I was truly grateful when the skip ad button came up.

Posted by: ufotofuNLI ( )
Date: November 23, 2020 06:16PM

It's mormonism when mormons brag about supporting a failing, and flailing, 'church' that tells them what to do, and how bad to act.

Bunch of lost followers but no leaders; only misleaders...

It is basically a tithing message.
ALL OF MORMONISM is a tithing message.

Posted by: Mother Who KNows ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 07:58AM

"Develop an attitude of gratitude." Wasn't that Schuler's idea? Or was it Norman Vincent Peale and his book "Power of Positive Thinking, back in the late 1950's and early 1960's? I think it was actually a whole movement back then, which fueled the entrepreneurs of the tech boom.

My young granddaughter said that her psychology teacher told the classmembers to keep a gratitude diary, to help combat depression and self-pity.

Oprah Windfrey was a huge proponent of keeping a gratitude diary, and she brought other ghurus onto her show. I used to watch TV in the late afternoons, when the pregnancy nausea would hit hard, but nothing worked as a prescription for nausea.

Nelson's "message" is nothing new. But is anything he says of any real significance, or inspiration, or hope, or comfort? Does it really have much to do with God or Love or Humanity at all?

"Global Faith Leader". Now, that's bragging! Talk about egotistical hype! They guy won't lead enough to pay attention to the scientists, and help his followers cope with a Global pandemic.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 08:40AM

My sister and a couple of other friends (all nonmormon..) post randomly about their spouses, family, friends etc...posting cute messages and memes...

THAT...is truly giving thanks...

Posting about how much you are "thankful" for your family with that hashtag, just means you posted that because in order to stay in good standing...YOU HAD TO...is pathetic.

Mormons...many of them still don't get it..

Date: November 24, 2020 06:27PM

He was just burying his testamoney.

This was TRULY a MESSage
of NONSENSE

LDS*PR (Profit Ratings)

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 06:55PM

Hey, be glad the mormons are only doing it for a week. Some of my friends have been doing the November gratefulness challenge since the first of the month (haven't figured out how they got the idea to be grateful at Thanksgiving time without a profit-o-god to tell them to). But even though they're not mormon, most of them not even religious, it's been kind of annoying--a lot of self aggrandizing. On Thanksgiving Day, I'll do some serious introspection and maybe put into words what I'm thankful for. Don't know if I'll share, it's more an exercise for me.

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: November 24, 2020 07:10PM

It's probably from this longer running challenge that Crusty Rusty seer-ed the idea behind this mormon branded campaign.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: November 25, 2020 04:18PM

I'd imagine you're right. Some of his great-great-great grandchildren were probably like "Grandaddy Rusty, how come everybody is posting about what they're grateful for all of November and God didn't tell you that we should do it to?" And then he was like "Well he did! But he told me we should only do it for 7 days. All those other people just don't know the one true length of time to be grateful." And so then he let the rest of the world know,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2020 04:19PM by NormaRae.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: November 25, 2020 08:29PM

I just read in the SLTrib that the idea was one of his middle of the night lighted pen revelations, one of many he gets from gawd in the middle of the night. Gees, let the old man sleep!

Date: November 25, 2020 09:02PM

gemini Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just read in the SLTrib that the idea was one of
> his middle of the night lighted pen revelations,
> one of many he gets from gawd in the middle of the
> night. Gees, let the old man sleep!

I think it's more like let God sleep.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.