Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 08:40PM

What's ironic is that now here it is 245 years after our Founding Fathers wrote into the constitution that slaves are only worth 3/5 of free men

https://www.thirteen.org/wnet/slavery/experience/legal/docs2.html#:~:text=Article%20one%2C%20section%20two%20of,political%20power%20of%20slaveholding%20states.

and a black household's net worth is now only 10% of White household's net worth.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front/2020/02/27/examining-the-black-white-wealth-gap/

A systemic wealth gap baked into our society, Which is only being exacerbated by Pandemic.

Meanwhile, Ivy League academics argue things have never been better for blacks in America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/27/business/mind-meld-bill-gates-steven-pinker.html

(NYT Interviewer): Steven’s new book tells us we’re living longer, with greater wealth, peace and equality, and less racism and sexism. It’s so counterintuitive to the feeling in the air. What’s the value in correcting that? Will it change behavior?

Bill Gates: "Absolutely. The present techniques we use as a society — law, democracy, some degree of progressive taxation — as imperfect as they are, are working by lots of key measures. So, when you consider a radical change, like “Hey, let’s tear up the global trade agreements; they’re a disaster,” you’re more likely to implement it if you think things are getting worse. “Let’s tear up the treaties. Let’s try a nondemocratic approach.” Your willingness to go off the current path is much, much higher. But you can hardly be serious about government — or society as a whole — unless you say: What are the measures that count, and how are we doing on those measures?"

Stephen Pinker: There’s a tendency in journalism and political debates to assume that it’s easy to achieve a perfect society: “Good people would do that.” The fact that we don’t means that evil people must be running the system: “Let’s throw them out and find nobler ones.” This leads to empowering charismatic despots and destroying institutions that have done a lot of good. But we have no right to expect perfection. We should appreciate how much better off we are and try to improve our institutions guided by what works and what doesn’t. I’m sure Bill gets this all the time: “Why throw money at the developing world? They’re just going to have more babies and be just as poor.”

BG “It’s always been bad, always will be bad.”

SP It’s just not true.

PG But can’t overstating problems energize us in terms of solving them?

BG There’s a paradox in letting yourself be very, very upset about what remains to be done. What indicator improves even faster than reduction in violence? Our distaste for violence. We’re more upset about it today. If I see someone spanking a kid — I’m stealing from Steven’s book — I might get up and say: “Hey, wait a minute!” Forty years ago, it might have been more like: “Do you want to borrow my belt?” There are parts of the world that are still like 40 years ago. But to read Steven’s book and think it says, “Don’t worry, be happy,” is to misread it. Because seeing the world through the eyes of that poor kid ideally wants to make you give some money, even though there are many fewer such kids than 50 years ago.

SP You can say the same fact two ways. Extreme global poverty has been reduced from 90 percent 200 years ago to 10 percent today. That’s great! Or you can say: More than 700 million people in the world live in extreme poverty today. They’re the same fact, and you have to be able to describe them to yourself both ways.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 09:20PM

RfM, the new place to muse musings. I suppose the church isn't that big a deal anymore...

I don't suppose that saying, "I gave at the office!" is going to work.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 06:11AM

“I suppose the church isn't that big a deal anymore”

Not really. The church is like the guy who stole your girlfriend but you found out he’s impotent.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 07:58AM

Posted by: Adam the warrior ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 08:37AM

it is kind of like telling me a great rival was actually a cardboard dead guy.

I don't even study destructive cults anymore. They became irrelevant. I study personality disorders now. Mainly to save myself from ever getting entangled with a narcissist ever again.

Anyways, if nothing else I enjoy what old dog will say to kori.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 10:45AM

No. More like the guy who married your ex-wife when said ex-wife was given tons of money, time, talents, and most of what you have and takes credit for what you had done.

Their impotence doesn't matter. Their imposture does.

But you have to move on with your life and trying to forget that pain often is one way. Attack the guy's ways openly but internally attempt to forget the details of how something you possibly once loved struck pain into the core of your very being.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 05, 2021 09:27PM

It is not so easy to sort out information in these times of hyperbolic adjectives and buzzwords to catch the eye (and clicks)

This, combined with the strident push for ‘baselines’ that become a platform for judging ‘with us or against us’.

It would be very satisfying for some people to ‘educate’ the less enlightened to march in lockstep.

I doubt that is will ever be possible to achieve uniform agreement on everything, but many are determined to do what it takes to make it happen.

Posted by: josephssmmyth ( )
Date: January 06, 2021 02:17AM

When you write do you tend to use feather pen?

...or BAT?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.