Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: icanseethelight ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 01:52PM

The older I get the more convinced I am about the willing ignorance of most of my fellow man. I have wondered what keeps bringing me back here, my recovery is done, my kids are all on their way out, and my wife is following the "ignorance is bliss plan".

I think I keep coming back because, for the most part, the people here are thinkers, and not part of the 90% or so of the planet that just wants to get told what to do.

Thanks for the mental stimulation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 02:47PM

The Morg's loss is RfM's gain.

Cool, huh?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 02:51PM

I *love* that this place is messy, full of varied opinions, sometimes argumentative, and for the most part tolerant of all of that.

It's like the real world amplified.
It's NOT like TSCC, where everyone is supposed to agree and get along.

Thinking well practically requires hearing points of view you don't agree with. Plenty of thinking well here :)

Posted by: Doubting Thomas ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 02:58PM

This is a great community. I really don't know anyone here (I think...), but just the ability to express my opinions and occasionally vent means a great deal to me.

Having members challenge my assertions is stimulating. Having members agree with me is empowering.

I agree with icanseethelight... I love this place. I need this place.

Thanks to everyone who has ever commented on my threads, and a special thank you to everyone who has ever validated my feelings and my positions.

I've tangled with one or two people too. I apologize for that and will try not to do that in the future. In fact, many times recently I have typed a snarky comment or tried to weigh-in on something I should just stay out of and after typing everything that was on my mind I simply delete the post.

Trying to be better.

DT

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:07PM

Often, very often for me, writing something down is the helpful part of getting over or through a problem. Many times, I find that I don't need to hit send --- once I've thought about it enough to write it down, I'm good. I can let it go, and then hit delete, instead.

I find that this is helpful particularly when I am angry about something. One of the most useful lessons that I have learned (fighting it all the way) has been that I ** do not ** have to respond to every single thing that I dislike or disagree with or find offensive. The world actually is just fine without my response. Even my own world is just fine.

Sometimes, you just have to speak out --- but it's surprising to me how few things truly require that.

Posted by: Historischer ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:15PM

Great advice from both of you.

Posted by: me too ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:01PM

me too

Posted by: GodLedMeOut ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:08PM

This place is my refuge and my fortress.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 23, 2015 03:24PM

I love one of you with all my heart, might mind and strength.. The fact that I'm typing this on the eighth tee of my Tuesday golf course doesn't change that fact, it just colors it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.