Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 21, 2021 10:03PM

Americans, along with the residents/citizens of many other countries, are enjoying freedom from expectations possibly unparalleled in the modern era.

Which I'm all for! But here's an example that I find a bit perplexing (and wouldn't happen in mormonism):

A man and woman meet, fall in love and commit to one another ... without any formal religious or civil covenant. You know, like Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn. They live together, have kids but just never formally 'jump the broom'.

I just scanned the headline of an article about a TV star of a show I've never watched, which announced that he and his fiancée have welcomed their first child...

That was never written about Kurt & Goldie...

Is it a Catholic thing (they are both Hispanic)? Do they have to play to their families and constituency? Are then confirming, "hey, yeah, we'll do the 'right' thing!" and thus saying, "Yes, we know there's a ghawd..."

Yay, mormonism, where hanky-panky never happens! Just a lot of 8lb., 6oz premature babies, born 6 or 7 months after the hastily thrown together wedding...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 09:49AM

Never happen to Mormons?

I thought this thread would be about their immunity to a plague of humility or a scourge of reason.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 04:31PM

I think most couples still like to get married, although many may take some time to get to that point. I can't imagine that too many young Catholic couples are entirely "by the book" these days. It was a different story for American Catholics up through about the 1960s or so.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: February 22, 2021 05:59PM

ziller can confirm ~

hab baby with goldie hawn ~

got jumped by the broom ~

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.