Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:23AM

My exhusband has Covid 19. He pretends to be just inactive with his very Mormon family.

His father, brother, sister in law, and niece are all ill, but won't get tested because they don't believe it's real. His mother told him, "If you get a test, it will always be positive because they want to inflate the numbers."

If the prophet would come out and say, "The CDC is reliable and accurate." they might come around. Maybe not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2021 03:26PM by Dorothy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:28AM

The problem of Mormonism is compounded by it's union with the far right.

Like the ugly letter that BOJ posted yesterday from that guy's family. It was about religion more than politics.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:30AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SciA6sQxfE

Some lds youtubers have it out in the open.

Date: February 18, 2021 10:38AM

Date: February 18, 2021 03:24PM

They really are charming. So wholesome and sweet.

Date: February 18, 2021 10:18PM

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 03:17PM

These two videos are just video diaries of each family with covid. Nothing wrong with that, and if watching some else's video diary is your idea of a good time, have at it, They, however, do not appear to speak to the penchant of some Mormons to be covid deniers, which was the OP's point.

Yeah, for most people, it is just a major annoyance for a few weeks, and they feel lousy for a few days. Others feel lousy for a couple of months, or have no sense of smell for weeks or months. Some people have long term problems. And half a million dead, and counting. I suppose that is a an extreme long-term problem. Or the ultimate short-term problem. I suppose it depends on your point of view.

The net result of people not getting tested is that hospitalizations and deaths go up relative to the number of positive tests, which is exactly what is happening in Utah.

Number of positive tests is way down. Hospitalizations are also down, but not be nearly the same percentage. Still, things are looking better.

Date: February 18, 2021 10:32PM

My point is that not all Mormons are covid deniers. Yes some of my own family who is active lds refuses to wear masks and believes that covid is just like to common cold. My mom who is very active lds is wearing N95 masks every time she steps a foot out of the door and she watches church meetings on zoom. The lds church requires missionaries to get vaccinated before they can leave on their missions yet once again my family is split in half about the vaccination schedule. Some follow it to the T like the pediatrician recommends it and some start giving the first vaccinations at age 17 so that they can leave on their missions when they turn 18 it takes about 1 year to complete the vaccine series. The point of posting those 2 videos is to show that there are people who show honestly how they feel having covid. Not everybody is hiding it. Not all is well in Zion. Utah has covid just like the rest of the world.

Date: February 19, 2021 09:40AM

I get your point. My sample size is--anecdote. There are lots of science based Mormons out there.

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 03:32PM

It has nothing to do with Mormons, it has to do with abject stupidity.

"the numbers would be lower if they would stop testing" - the Orange A-Hole.

Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:31PM

In other words, there will always be Mormons.

Posted by: cindysue ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 11:49PM

"the numbers would be lower if they would stop testing" - the Orange A-Hole.

yes, the numbers would be lower if you take out all the false positives.

as far as "the Orange A-Hole", that is disrespectful no matter how you look at it.

that is part of what is wrong with the world, you can call anyone anything.

it's not only kids that are disrespectful, it's also "adults".

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 11:58PM

. . . and presidents.

Or is it okay if Trump calls people horrible names--rapists, murderers, terrorists, cripples, liars, residents of shithole countries--but not if others describe him the same way?

Just worried that there be some consistency here--adult behavior and all.

ETA: Some specifics. Here are 30 of the things your Dear Leader has said about women.

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/politics/news/a44629/donald-trump-insults-women/

And here his descriptions of others.

https://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/249102-trumps-most-notable-insults

The bottom line is that no supporter of Trump can ask others to speak respectfully of him without inviting derisive laughter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 12:39AM by Lot's Wife.

Date: February 19, 2021 12:53AM

And what would the numbers be if you added back in the false negatives? Those happen too, you know.

So you think this is all false reporting? How about the dead people. That is usually pretty clearcut. No false positives there. If you think the entire 3 million person medical establishment is lying about cause of death, then what exactly do you think they did die of?

It's pretty obvious they died of something, despite your bogus claim that there were no excess deaths in 2020. There were, about 350,000, which is a lot. The usual increase is about 40,000, caused by general population growth. Flu season can be plus or minus 25K, depending on how bad the flu was.

So what did those extra 300 thousand people die of?

Today it was reported the first 6 months of 2020 caused the biggest drop in US lifespan since WWII. The pandemic didn't really get rolling until April. The report for the second half of 2020 should be really impressive.

So why did those extra 300 thousand die of? Yes, repeating myself. Just want to be sure you stay focused.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2021 12:55AM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 03:57PM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> His father, brother, sister in law, and niece are
> all ill, but won't get tested because they don't
> believe it's real.

I don't comprehend how one can believe "it's not real" while they are SICK with it.

What do they think ails them?

His mother told him, "If you
> get a test, it will always be positive because
> they want to inflate the numbers."

I have heard this comment innumerable times. What on earth do they think the reason for pretense would be? And how would you get an entire nation of MDs and scientists on board with LYING to the populace?

> If the prophet would come out and say, "The CDC is
> reliable and accurate." they might come around.

That would be excellent! I wish he would. What the hell else do those guys have to do with the churches closed? Not much propheting going on, that I've heard of anyway.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 04:16PM

I've had two tests. Both negative. But that's in France, of course, where our conspiracy theories are mainly gastronomical ;-)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 05:50PM

When the bill is gastronomical, I don't mind paying it...

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 07:09PM

Yes, but you are supposed to pay in cash not in kind.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 07:11PM

I’ve had 2 in Minnesota and they were negative. Actually they love negative tests, lowers the positivity rates.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 07:12PM

Are you positive?

Date: February 18, 2021 11:55PM

he can't do that because he's not a prophet and since i joined in 79 i haven't heard any prophecies. has anyone ever heard any? get food, etc. is not prophecy. that's common sense to be prepared for a rainy day. 30 years supply of grains is not even smart financially.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 04:09PM

Dorothy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

After all, it's Russell M. Nelson, MD. But I guess he has had his head so far up the church's anus for so long that he doesn't know what's up in the medical world anymore.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 10:23PM

Has the church said anything against the CDC? As far as I know, it is following government requirements.

If you haven't heard, church has been closed or restricted for most of a year.

As does RFM, the church preaches obedience to authority. Most church members I know won't question government, believing it can never lead us astray.

Date: February 18, 2021 11:57PM

"If you haven't heard, church has been closed or restricted for most of a year."

to that i say GOOD!

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 04:13PM

"His mother told him, 'If you get a test, it will always be positive because they want to inflate the numbers.'"

And that's why reported positive test rates are invariably 100%. /s

His mother is (of course) an idiot.

Date: February 18, 2021 10:32PM

The highest positivity rate I remember seeing is 23%. So 77% negative. Or am I just bad at math?

Posted by: logged off today ( )
Date: February 19, 2021 12:32AM

Your math is fine, the highest positive rate that I recall has been in the 23-25% range. Negative 75%-77%.

So contrary to low-information ex-mom, all tests *won't" come back positive and "they" don't want to artificially "inflate the numbers." (Note 2nd paragraph of previous post ends with /s, denoting sarcasm.)

Date: February 19, 2021 01:09AM

A high positivity rate means that statistically it is likely that a lot of cases are not being caught by testing. Epidemiologists would like the positivity rate to be below 5%, even better, below 3%.

Back in November, North Dakota was basically lapping the field when it came to covid infections. I know people there, so I follow what's happening in ND. They apparently had a "Come to Jesus" moment WRT covid. Infections were way down, and the positivity rate was 3.2% in the figures I saw last week.

They have recently changed the formula for calculating positivity. Under the old formula, Utah is at about 14%. Under the new formula, it is about 6%. I suspect the 5% target was calculated under the old formula, and the goal is probably closer to 3% now. Hate when they change formulas like that, but I suppose they had compelling reason.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 18, 2021 07:05PM

Two cataract surgeries and not feeling well after the second one.

If I have it, I want to know. I guess I inflated the numbers in the summer since I had those 3 tests.

Date: February 24, 2021 11:24AM

Update:
Ex hubby spent 5 days in the hospital with Covid related pneumonia.

His brother is on day 6 in the hospital with Covid related pneumonia.

His 79 year old mother is positive and asymptomatic.

His 81 year old father is positive and has fatigue and a headache.

His niece was positive, had a bad headache and is recovered.

His sister in law was ill, but hasn't been tested. She blocked the brother in law from getting help until he was nearly dead.

Serious biz y'all.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.