Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 10:04AM

I learn something new everyday. I had never heard of this Hawaiian settlement in Utah. Pretty interesting:

http://www.pasthorizons.com/index.php/archives/04/2011/11461

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:14PM

The Mormons have made it into another "faith promoter," when in fact it was another example of Mormon racism...

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 02:38PM

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 11:20AM

Me, neither. Interesting.

Sad to see on the same site, about the petroglyph vandalism.

It's everywhere here (graffiti, vandalism) and I even saw some at Auschwitz (minor carving/writing of names by teens, easily fixable) both within and outside the fences. the state and national monuments here are covered with it, and they have to constantly pay to clean them.

Posted by: maeve ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 12:43PM

Iosepa, located in Skull Valley, Tooele County, is dry, desolate desert land that the white Mormons had no use for. The leaders probably didn't know what to do with the Hawaiians once they came to "Zion" so they stuck them out of sight out of mind.

Posted by: Whiskey_Tango ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 01:32PM

Funny you should mention that place. I drove past it this morning on the way to Dugway Proving Ground. I stopped in their one day to take some pictures. A very desolate,lonely place.

Posted by: spooge ( )
Date: April 08, 2011 06:09PM

What I find particularly interesting about Iosepa is that it was ostensibly set up as a sort of launch pad community where saints migrating from Hawaii could come and stay in order to make their way to the Salt Lake temple. Back in the day, that would have been quite a journey, to say the least. It really is about as remote and dry as one could imagine. Having formerly lived in Hawaii, I cannot begin to imagine what kind of thoughts must have gone through the minds of these people when they first arrived in their new home. I can't think of two more diametrically opposed landscapes. Holy cow!!!

Posted by: Christian ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 07:15AM

I’m wanting to find out more about this pace and what happened here. Any ideas? Where to look or turn? Things to read from food sources? Thanks

Posted by: Wally Prince ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 11:14AM

just to be close to the temple.

The power of the temple fable/programming over the minds of church members never ceases to amaze me.

And to think that the church leaders easily could have built a small, simple temple in Hawaii long, long before building the fancy temple at Laie. They were doing all the temple ordinances in makeshift facilities in Utah long, long before any of the fancy temples were built.

I guess the leaders just got off on seeing the peasants turn their lives upside down and inside out to "live the gospel" in the manner dictated by the leaders...kind of the same way that Apostle Faust got off on seeing poor members in S. America rip the gold fillings out of their mouths in order to help fund the building of a temple in their region.

I truly can't understand it. Goofy handshakes and idiotic costumes. Why does that lunacy get such a hold on people?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 02:00PM

someone should start a pageant in honor of these brave pioneers!

handcarts, anyone?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 03:15PM

Outrigger canoes. Maybe with little wheels on the bottom so they move on asphalt.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 06:00PM

asphalt: Another Proof of the BoMormon!

Posted by: Bearded at BYU ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 07:13PM

I’ve been out there. An absolutely god forsaken place. I didn’t know the church was now trying to make it a faith promoting thing. It’s a terrible story and blatant racism on the part of the church.

Posted by: macaRomney ( )
Date: August 17, 2019 09:20PM

Just drive out there, there are ranches and wild mustangs from the Spanish Conquistadors, it's about as wild and open as the West gets!

Posted by: Buke ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 09:29AM

Richard the Bad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I learn something new everyday. I had never heard
> of this Hawaiian settlement in Utah. Pretty
> interesting:
>
> http://www.pasthorizons.com/index.php/archives/04/
> 2011/11461

Clicked on this and got an advertising site

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: August 19, 2019 02:37PM

Well, it is an 8 year old link.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.