Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 01, 2021 11:20PM

....to the contrary.

I had a Mormon missionary say to me after an argument about Mormon racism, sexism and abuse, I had seen and reported in the Mormon church, “So you think we are brainwashed CULT members?”

I said,”Look guys, I was in your shoes once, 25 years ago, with a sweet Mormon girl back home waiting for me to get home and get married in the temple. Well if you don’t stop to really resolve these serious issues, it’s kinda too late once you are sealed in the temple, with a whole tribe of kids. So I know people called me a brainwasher every day in Australia. I took a hell of a lot of abuse for it. People punched me in the head, threw beer bottles, tried to stab me with a knife, came at me swinging hard, lots of times. I was in a very tough mission in Australia, with crazy amounts of ethnic gangs and they all hated us. And you know why I stuck with it? Because that’s the plan that was made for my life by everybody before me.
But when I went to really follow the evidence to its logical conclusion, for me and my kids, the math didn’t add up.
So I don’t call that “brainwashed” I call it delusional, maintaining erroneous beliefs despite superior evidence to the contrary. And as for Joseph’s Myth being a cult, yes.
It qualifies on every level for every criteria of a bigoted white supremacist Doomsday CULT.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 10:38AM

Don't forget that you are going against the Prime Doctrine of Religion: If you have Faith, Facts Don't Matter.

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 11:07PM

JoeSmith666 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't forget that you are going against the Prime
> Doctrine of Religion: If you have Faith, Facts
> Don't Matter.

I don't think that directive is limited to Religion. Look at politics. Look at Football. Seattle fans will never forget thejr first Superbowl loss to the Pittsburg Steelers, because of a play that every Seahawks fan says was a bad call by a referee and every Steeler fans see as excellent defense. They all see the same video. They all see the same evidence and come to completely opposite conclusions.
Same thing with OJ Simpson.
The majority of White people thought the verdict was racially motivated.
The majority of Black people believed justice had been served.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._J._Simpson_murder_case#Reaction_to_the_verdict
Why is that?
They all saw the same evidence and drew completely opposite conclusions.
From the Wikipedia Article:
After the verdict in favor of Simpson, most black people surveyed said they believed justice had been served, with most claiming that Simpson had been framed and some even suggesting that Mark Fuhrman was the actual killer. Most whites (75%) disagreed with the verdict and believed that it was racially motivated.[123] Discussion of the racial elements of the case continued long after the trial's end. An NBC poll taken in 2004 reported that, although 77% of 1,186 people sampled thought Simpson was guilty, only 27% of black people in the sample believed so, compared to 87% of whites. In 2016, FiveThirtyEight reported that most black people now think Simpson committed the murders.[321] According to a 2016 poll, 83% of white Americans and 57% of black Americans believe that Simpson committed the murders.[322]

Shapiro admitted the defense played the "race card," "from the bottom of the deck".

So we're all biased, to one degree or another.
But at what point does a blind spot become 'delusion'?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 11:43PM by schrodingerscat.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.