Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lisa von und zu Liechtenstein ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 10:13AM

Now that a temple will be built in my hometown (outside the U.S.), I was wondering about cleaning.

Nowadays members are pressured to scrub chapel toilets. Are they also required to scrub temple toilets?

Maybe in the Morridor the Morg can find private cleaning companies with enough temple recommend holders to provide this service, but what about Europe?

Are European members expected to do all the cleaning in temples? Or are these "sacred" buildings weekly "defiled" by "unworthy" professional cleaners?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lapsed2 ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 11:17AM

Nope. Members clean the temples too.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 11:21AM

Posted by: Lisa von und zu Liechtenstein ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 12:31PM

Whenever new temples are announced (specially in areas with few active members), I can't help thinking about that...

The burden of filling mind-numbing temple sessions, performing creepy rituals, and CLEANING the spacious buildings will be placed on local "volunteers". (Who are supposed to feel honored...)

It is so unfair that my elderly mother will be guilt-tripped into scrubbing toilets of a fancy "temple" built by a multibillion-dollar corporation eager to boast "phenomenal growth".

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 02:28PM

My aunt and uncle used to clean the Jordan Temple. They also would help clean the conference center in their 80s. I don't know if they still do. Not during COVID. My uncle is 89 and she is 85.

So when she told me they were cleaning the conference center, she mentioned that she had NEVER been to general conference. My daughter is best friends with the stake RS president and would get tickets to conference OFTEN. So I had her get my aunt some tickets and they went together.

My sister and her husband have helped clean the Idaho Falls temple. They are 64 and 66.

Posted by: nli ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 02:49PM

I have often wondered about a similar question:

WHO cleaned the Holy of Holies in the ancient temples in Jerusalem? It was forbidden for anyone but the high priest to enter it, and he only entered that sacred room once a year. It must have been filthy with cobwebs and dust, unless the high priest himself did the cleaning on his annual visit. Even then it would have had a year's buildup.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 11:58PM

I accidentally put my reply to this question below in the thread (as I type this, it is the last post in the thread).

Look for a post by Tevai, April 05, 2021, 11:53 PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 03:02PM

ChurchCo KNOWS NO SHAME OR CONCERNS FOR THE RANK & FILE!

this applies to 'worldly' matters and the 'faith-driven' policies & procedures.

that's part of the reason they hire Utah / IMW / Mormon helpers when professional work is needed, they depend on professionals NOT CHOKING on their bullying ways, one-sided 'negotiations', etc.

I've been close enough (a licensed contractor) to know, people talk, ya know...

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 04:43PM

Jesus comes in three nights a week with his vacuum, duster, polish and fresh rolls of toilet paper. He does the windows on alternate Wednesdays.

Date: April 05, 2021 11:53PM

When I Googled, a Wikipedia article titled "Holy of Holies" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_of_Holies came up, containing two references to passages in the Talmud.

"...the Talmud suggests that repair crews were allowed inside as needed but were lowered from the upper portion of the room via enclosures so that they only saw the area they were to work on."

A good explanation of the Talmud: Talmud: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talmud

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 07:27PM

I'm surprised that the 'unworthy' workers weren't led in blindfolded...

Maybe there were sounds that they couldn't be allowed to hear, or burning incense they weren't supposed to smell?

What is it with religions and rules?

Date: April 06, 2021 09:13PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is it with religions and rules?

We're talking about 3,000 years ago, so people back then were still in the early beginnings of trying to figure out intellectual and social and scientific things.

Given their era (and the intellectual/"scientific" base they started from), I think they often did pretty well back then.

Obviously, since that time our world and our species have evolved spectacularly more than our 3,000 years ago ancestors could have ever imagined possible.

For their time, I think they did pretty well.

My advice: Give them a break.

They were actively trying, the best way they knew how.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 06, 2021 09:51PM

Oh, man... I wasn't criticizing, just making observations!

I hope they forgive me.

Date: April 06, 2021 11:12PM

elderolddog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh, man... I wasn't criticizing, just making
> observations!
>
> I hope they forgive me.

:D

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.