Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 10:22PM

Yes, I do realize a bishop has a lot to do. But some certainly do it better than others, and why, inspite of sexism, are not
relief society presidents called pres for life as they work their beh***s off too?

Has this custom been part of Mormonism's inception since ole Joey hallucinated the whole thing into being? And, why I am at it, what stories are out there of those poor devoted male Mormons who aspired to be a bishop but were left in the gutter and therefore, have had to face life with mud on their face?

In my extended fam we have a new "bishop" as well as an "old" one, and I recently goofed and mixed up who was being discussed.
When you're an X, I guess you deserve to forget these so-very- important details. Right?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2021 10:23PM by presleynfactsrock.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 02, 2021 11:38PM

Bishop is not only a title of a position, it is also an office in the aaronic priesthood. As a result once ordained a bishop one is always a bishop.

I was in a ward once when the first councilor was once a bishop and everyone called both the bishop and the first councilor bishop. Was confusing.

Relief Society president is a position. Same applies to stake president. Title of president only applies as long as it is held.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: April 03, 2021 01:22AM

My Grandfather was a bishop and took care of his ward through much of the late Great Depression years. I only heard amazing praise and kind comments about him. I only remember hearing his sons calling him Bishop, only when they were joking.

When I lived in Tucson our ward's Bishop had an affair with the Relief Society President and they left each other's spouses and hooked up together. In turn their spouses got together and became Bishop and Relief Society Pres - you see, there must be a god.

Trying to imagine a tryst between Bishop and Relief Society Pres - how does that actually start.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 04:19PM

Hedning Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My Grandfather was a bishop and took care of his
> ward through much of the late Great Depression
> years. I only heard amazing praise and kind
> comments about him. I only remember hearing his
> sons calling him Bishop, only when they were
> joking.
>
> When I lived in Tucson our ward's Bishop had an
> affair with the Relief Society President and they
> left each other's spouses and hooked up together.
> In turn their spouses got together and became
> Bishop and Relief Society Pres - you see, there
> must be a god.
>
> Trying to imagine a tryst between Bishop and
> Relief Society Pres - how does that actually
> start.
I am also from Tucson
Did this occur in the 1950's or 60's?

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 09:53AM

My father had just been released as the bishop in our East Coast ward when we moved to SLC. He thought the veneration of bishophood would transfer to the new location, that he would be seen as spiritually elevated and people would look to him for pearls of wisdom. Not. He was seen as just another dime-a-dozen former bishop -- and an outsider.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 01:01PM

like Cache Valley. My boyfriend works with 2 past SPs and they are GODS in the work place. You must treat them with the respect they think they deserve, and my boyfriend doesn't. It doesn't go over too well as they think they can do no wrong and have elevated status even over the manager of the plant here in Utah (who is an exmormon).

And bishops around here are called bishops even when it has been YEARS since they were one.

I call them by their first names. Even a as a mormon I never called them bishop or SP. I never called them brother either.

The last bishop's kids call me by my first name and I love it.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 07:04PM

How many of you have had or known of a bishop named bishop Bishop?

I ran into two young men on my mission whose legal first name was Elder.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 04, 2021 07:27PM

How about President [Joseph] Bishop?

Or Bishop Jesus, Jesus?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 12:50AM

What are the odds that there is an American male named Homer Jesus?

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: April 05, 2021 02:42AM

Yeah, but Homer wasn't Jesus, Jesus. He was just another slob making three-eyed fish in a nuclear power plant.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 07, 2021 09:08PM

My father never made bishop, despite all the money he threw at the religion. Sucker.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.