Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 10:48PM

Sandra Tanner just shared an interesting graph on her FB account.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10159216226569321&set=a.129868774320

I have not been paying attention to GC in the past 20 years, so I'd have no idea, but apparently, in the decade between 2005-2015 the name "Joseph Smith" went from being spoken 85 times per General Conference down to 5 times per General Conference,
The event that she notes that might have affected that drastic decline, is the release of the Joseph Smith Polygamy papers and embarrassing NYT report on the subject, that happened in 2014.

Anybody notice a distinct downplaying of Joseph Smith in the Mormon church, or are they still singing Praise to the Man at Church and pretending they don't worship a pedophile cuckold bull on camera?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2021 11:54AM by schrodingerscat.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 08, 2021 10:56PM

There's been at least a few bingo-drinking games suggested for GC.

Seriously, now: Has a study been done on GC references to the BoM? Book of Abraham? Pearl of Great Price? Brigham Young?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 12:32AM

Why on earth would the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Salt Lake Cityians have anything to do with these 'mormon' people, places, and things to which you are referring?

I don't see any connection!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 10:40AM

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 07:52AM

They are definitely downplaying JS right now. No doubt about it. The April 2020 GC had plentiful, if rather brief, references to Brother Joe and the BoM, by contrast. This year I did catch a super short reference to Brigham in one of the talks. They won't touch the Book of Abraham in any public forum-no chance. The Morgborgs which the ward sent to my place a while back were way uncomfortable when I raised the Pearl of Great Price.

Posted by: thegoodman ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 08:25AM

Sort of related but I also seem to remember in 2017 that one of the temple interview questions specifically asked about faith in Joseph Smith as a prophet? I am not sure. But there is no reference to him in the whole thing now. Just a reference to "the restoration" .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2021 08:25AM by thegoodman.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 10:01AM

There is a conscious effort by TSCC to de-emphasize some of the “unique” aspects of their religion, but I also think the high number of references to Joe in 2005 is due to the fact that it was the bicentennial of Smith’s birth. It was a year long praise to the man fest.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 10:37AM

A couple of years ago, one of the GA's spoke in a fireside and said that Joseph Smith is "the lynchpin" in the gate and you can only get to heaven with his permission.
I think it was Quentin Cox, but I can't seem to find who it was exactly.

Date: April 09, 2021 11:53AM

valkyriequeen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A couple of years ago, one of the GA's spoke in a
> fireside and said that Joseph Smith is "the
> lynchpin" in the gate and you can only get to
> heaven with his permission.
> I think it was Quentin Cox, but I can't seem to
> find who it was exactly.

So he is not just ‘mingling with Gods’ he is a God?
Totally not a CULT!

Posted by: JoeSmith666 ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 11:55AM

This is so because MoronicPriesthood Central does not want God's real name dragged through the mud more than it already has been.

Remember, you will pass by Joseph Smith to get into the Celestial Kingdom.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 12:26PM

I would think it would be a tough sell to investigators that JS is a spiritual man whose word should be trusted, when he had sex with more than 30 women.

Date: April 09, 2021 01:47PM

That information is given out on a need to know basis only and gators don’t need to know until after they’ve made a lifelong commitment to fork over 10% of their income to a Corp. that has a $100 billion slush fund for a welcome back party for Jesus!

Posted by: Perdition ( )
Date: April 09, 2021 03:50PM

Those who know don’t talk. Those who talk don’t know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hskq42Sm2c

Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: April 11, 2021 12:41PM

I get a Facebook message that says “Sorry, this content isn't available right now”

Date: April 11, 2021 01:29PM

Strange.
You might need to be FB friends with her to see her posts.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: April 11, 2021 06:25PM

The Book of MORmON church executive leaders and LDS inc PR wants to dump MORmON founder Smith and their book of MORMON name and history......but they can NOT because (wife collecting) MORmON founder Joe Smith is also critical to their (BS) divine authority claims. .......LMAO !!!!! at the MORmONS !!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.