Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 04:27PM

Occam's razor
The simplest reason is probably the most correct!
So looking at the simplest scenario for the creation of man why is it so hard to give credence to Sitchen's works.
We could say we believe them to be true so far as they are translated correctly and be right in step.
I have been going over and over this issue for several years now n
and I have come to the conclusion that the Enki story is more probable than the Bible story.
In fact it appears to me that the old testament version might well have been derived from the ancient annals and legends recorded on the Enki tablets.
Now there are other tablets that are along the same line The Enuma Elish and the Epic of Gilgamesh, the Atra Hasis and others. I believe that one of the main reasons that they are dismissed is that these writings do not confirm that toward which we are already biased.
For example if I plant a tomato seed nurture and nourish it to maturity and grow tomatoes I am the creator of that plant. NOT of anything else just that. I should not have offended The Creator of All by doing this. So if explorers from another planet or galaxy created homo sapien from “seeds” that they found on this planet why is it so difficult to accept?
I accept that our good buddy Sitchen plugged in his own ideas along with his translations but he was, in fact, able to translate cuneiform so before you totally bash me give it some thought.
Remember there are other translators of other tablets that basically tell the same story.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Roy G Biv ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 04:34PM

The simplest scenario for the creation of rock and roll is that it came from blues music.

I have come to the conclusion that Led Zeppelin is probably a more correct translation than the Rolling Stones.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 05:06PM

What are you smoking, Roy?

Blue and Lonesome is a lot closer to the real blues than anything LZ ever did--and I'm not even a big Stones fan!

Date: May 06, 2021 11:28AM

I'm talking about rock and roll, not what's closer to real blues. You obviously didn't translate the liner notes correctly and probably never played stairway to heaven backwards!

Posted by: schrodingerscat ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 04:46PM

Who the Hell is Sitchen and why should I give him any credence when I don’t know him from Adam?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence in order to be taken seriously.

Date: May 05, 2021 04:55PM

Try reading th elost book of Enki.
You don't have to believe it just thnk about it.
Try being open minded

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 05:03PM

I hate it when I have to agree with SC.

SC and TDR1 do share this odd unwillingness to hit two return keys in a row. Kind of a reverse OCD

ETA: actually I suppose it is a variant of OCD, with a side of Oppositional Defiant Disorder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 05:12PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 07:34PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who the Hell is Sitchen and why should I give him
> any credence when I don’t know him from Adam?

You know a lot of people and throw their names out here as if everyone in the world should have heard of them.

Pot meet Kettle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2021 07:35PM by Elder Berry.

Date: May 06, 2021 12:50PM

zeccharia Sitchen translated and also injected his dialog into some cuneiform tablets. He is very contraversial. I have chosen to give him credence.The rest of you don't have to of course.
My position is read the Lost Book of Enki and then judge for yourself.
to me this is book is the simplest and therefore the most reasonable solution to the question of how we came to be.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:54PM

I've read it. It isn't very compelling to me. It was interesting. The thing is that whatever the mechanism be it alien gods, meteorites seeding the planet with biological material, a snake species from the world on the other side of the sun, basically it doesn't matter. You are caught up in the mechanism and obsessed with origins like Scat.

So what if I'm a being that was designed in an alien's laboratory to mine gold and have sex?

I already know I'm not like all the other creatures on this planet including great apes. I'm not looking for gods to fill the gap.

I believe evolution is a thing, helped by aliens or not, so that holds my interest more - what kind of creature am I and not my origins.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 03:09PM

I am supported by the unassailable logic that buttresses the sad but unavoidable truth that men are dirty, filthy sexual animals who want what they want and can talk themselves into taking from others in order to satisfy that 'wanting'.

Type-A personalities just keep moving towards their goals, while the rest of us pick our noses and try to avoid being a target of the Type-A's.

Apologia (that is, making Type-A behavior "acceptable") was invented because the mothers of the women the Type-A's wanted to hump needed a basis for justifying why they let their daughters mate with the Type-A's.

And while I'm at it, let me explain 'love'...

Love is the 'fiction' (oh, it's a real emotion ... until it isn't) that lesser Types invented to give women an excuse for settling for less than a Type-A. "I love him!" is supposed to mean, "Of course I could do better, but he's the one I love!"

...and then you die...

Date: May 06, 2021 05:52PM

elderolddog Wrote:
> And while I'm at it, let me explain 'love'...
>
> Love is the 'fiction' (oh, it's a real emotion ...
> until it isn't) that lesser Types invented to give
> women an excuse for settling for less than a
> Type-A. "I love him!" is supposed to mean, "Of
> course I could do better, but he's the one I
> love!"
>
>
> ...and then you die...

That explains a lot...about you.

Date: May 08, 2021 04:45PM

> That explains a lot...about you.

Well, what else matters!!!

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 07:24PM

Is this why TBM women swoon over Joseph Smith? He was so Type A he couldn’t keep it in his pants.

Date: May 05, 2021 07:49PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> Who the Hell is Sitchen and
> why should I give him and
> credence when I don’t know
> him from Adam?

If The Cat puts out someone's name and an idea of that someone's idea(s) and he got the response that HE just gave, he'd be incensed and dismissive.

> Extraordinary claims require
> extraordinary evidence in order
> to be taken seriously.

And yet The Cat will link us to one article by one of his big three and that's supposed to settle the matter...

I'd diagnose The Cat, but then I'd have to charge him. At least with TDR1, it's just a beloved hobby.

Date: May 06, 2021 10:41AM

elderolddog Wrote:
> I'd diagnose The Cat, but then I'd have to charge
> him. At least with TDR1, it's just a beloved
> hobby.

He likes "In God We Trust" on is money. I doubt he will part with it for you. He trusts scientist who dabble in psychology and philosophizing. His Tao isn't yours so I don't think you should diagnose The Cat. Just shake his box once and awhile to make sure he is still able to scratch you.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: May 05, 2021 05:37PM

All sorts of ancient stories are more plausible the biblical ones. And some are less plausible.

However, I think the modern scientific explanation is far more plausible (and provable) than any of those old stories.

Date: May 05, 2021 05:39PM

Francis Crick had a similar theory, he published in a book I read recently, “Life Itself, Its Nature and Origins”, that theorizes that life on Earth could have been started by an advanced race of aliens who sent a spaceship here full of ‘spores’ long ago to seed the planet with life.

I think the even more simple explanation that neither author proposed is that the blueprint for life got here naturally, from a comet or meteorite carrying frozen RNA and DNA in viruses, which are not technically ‘alive’ but can nonetheless perform genetic surgery and join two single helix strands of RNA together to make a double helix of DNA, with all the instructions to make proteins that could develop into something we call ‘life’, a simple cell that could reproduce and be the last common ancestor of all of us.

Even more complex life could also survive inter stellar travel frozen on ice, extremophiles, like Waterbears, Tardigrades, the oldest and toughest animal on the planet, 5 time world champion apocalypse survivor. Scientists figure they must have come from another planet because they can survive 6x’s the greatest pressure on Earth at the bottom of the deepest ocean. There would be no other way to develop that ability unless they evolved on a planet with much greater pressure than Earth’s.
They can also survive 10,000 X’d the amount of radiation it takes to kill a human and they have survived in the vacuum of space.

https://www.space.com/5974-alien-water-bears-amaze-scientists.html

They also live on the moon.
https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-49265125

Date: May 06, 2021 11:33AM

Who the Hell is Francis Crick and why should I give him any credence when I don’t know him from Adam?

Or you for that matter?

Date: May 06, 2021 11:44AM

If I'm reading the tea leaves correctly, thanks for that!

Date: May 06, 2021 11:55AM

Some people can't see their own face in a mirror.

Date: May 06, 2021 11:53AM

Roy G Biv Wrote:
> Who the Hell is Francis Crick and why should I
> give him any credence when I don’t know him from
> Adam?
>
> Or you for that matter?
The famous scientist who won the Nobel Prize for discovering DNA.
Ring any bells?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Crick

Date: May 06, 2021 11:57AM

I see you missed my point.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:52PM

I didn’t miss it, it was just a pointless point.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:56PM

He really took the claws out of your tooth!

Date: May 06, 2021 02:58PM

Now all he has is a crick in his back.

Date: May 06, 2021 06:55PM

To be frank, yes.

Date: May 06, 2021 03:14PM

schrodingerscat Wrote:
> I didn’t miss it, it was
> just a pointless point.

At last, the Human Existence/Experience has been given an appropriate framework! It's ALL pointless to anyone standing outside the ant farm we all inhabit.

But we could pass the time trying to determine who is more pointless than whom... I mean other people could, no other boards, where the issue might still be in doubt.

Date: May 06, 2021 03:21PM

You're right. When you blast a poster for name dropping like you do, and another tries to point out the irony to you, it is a rather pointless effort.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:52PM

What would the goddess Nike say?

Date: May 06, 2021 03:24PM

>> What would the goddess Nike say?

Hey Phil, let's rip off the Postal Service branding and put it on a new shoe!

Date: May 05, 2021 08:25PM

Regarding the most simple explanation...

If you consider this a problem within a closed system, which is the simplest way to confront it, then evolution works just fine.

If you 'open' the system, then I'm going to side with the explanation that involves Jedi Knights...lots of them!

I don't believe that there is any proof that a 'closed system' Earth could NOT have engendered the evolutionary process that reached its pinnacle in 1979 when I got my first Z-car. C'mon! The evidence is overwhelming!!!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 12:10AM

?

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 03:09AM

Occam got caught trying to sneak his razor past the TSA at LaGuardia. It was confiscated and is now buried in a Staten Island landfill. Meanwhile, Occam has been placed on the no-fly list and has to use an electric body groomer instead.

"Occam's body grooming appliance" doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

Date: May 06, 2021 10:43AM

Occam's Beard sounds cool especially when things get a little fuzzy.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:09PM

I went to amazon to read the reviews of The Lost Book of Enki.

Under "products related to this item", the first book listed was Fauci, the Bernie Madoff of Science.

That does not exactly inspire confidence.

So these aliens showed up 445,000 years ago, had a nuclear war 4,000 years ago more or less, and along the way, put the moon in orbit around the earth (it was one of their satellites or some such) and it sounds like the earth was just wandering around the cosmos until the annunaki put it into orbit around the sun.

Life on earth goes back way before 445,000 years ago, by a factor of about 9,000. I think a sun would have been essential for life during that period.

You'd think a nuclear war only 4,000 years ago would have left more evidence.

You'd think that if Enki and the gang were here for four hundred thousand years looking for gold, they would have not spent all their time hanging around the gardens in Babylon. And where is all the mining equipment a supposedly nuclear-capable civilization should have had?

Also, according to amazon, the book is categorized under "Fiction/mythology"

Sorry, I only have so much time in a day, and this book does not make the cut.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:20PM

There's always Dilbert!

Date: May 06, 2021 02:57PM

Or goat yoga.

Date: May 06, 2021 02:59PM

Your spouse does yoga too?

Date: May 06, 2021 05:48PM

She does! ;)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 06, 2021 03:39PM

Thanks for that, BoJ.

I. Cant. Even. with that Enki stuff.

The weird thing to me is thinking the Enki lore is consistent with Occam's razor.

Date: May 06, 2021 03:49PM

Don't be too hasty, Daggs.

When I want to understand an ancient document I always go to someone with an economics degree and experience running a shipping company who over the course of his life "visited several archaeological sites."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zecharia_Sitchin#Early_life

Date: May 06, 2021 06:02PM

D'oh! I should have looked up the author. That material is even better than the Amazon material about the book. In particular, I have limited experience with Sumerian archeology (though I probably have enough to debunk Enki books, whether lost or found), so it is nice to see analyses from people who do have expertise.

Some day I will do a post about ancient Babylonian mathematics, in the almost certainly vain hope of changing macaRomney's attitude. Hammurabi and the crew had some really kick-ass mathematicians on staff. I'm sure TDR1 will attribute this to Enki, who also lost his books on geometry and algebra.

Enki Dinky Do. (translation from the Sumerian: a little Enki goes a long way.)

Date: May 06, 2021 06:05PM

Who living can read Reformed Egyptian?

Date: May 09, 2021 04:47PM

Elder Berry Wrote:
> Who living can read Reformed Egyptian?
Actually when Ramesses the 2nd converted to judaism he became the first reformed Egyptian

Date: May 09, 2021 04:51PM

You know darned well that Ramses II was Orthodox!

Date: May 06, 2021 06:58PM

Brother Of Jerry Wrote:
> Some day I will do a post about ancient Babylonian
> mathematics,

Promises, promises. You are SUCH the tease.

Date: May 08, 2021 02:33PM

60 percent chance he will.

Date: May 08, 2021 02:37PM

Actually, he's been promising this so long that I'm sure he will. He just needs prodding.

Date: May 06, 2021 06:26PM

dagny Wrote:
> Thanks for that, BoJ.
>
> I. Cant. Even. with that Enki stuff.
>
> The weird thing to me is thinking the Enki lore is
> consistent with Occam's razor.

The irony!
We spend too much time remembering the past and speculating on the future and not nearly enough time in rapt awe, present in the mystery of existence right here and now.
Imagine if we actually comprehended the meaning of mapping the human genome?
Racism would disappear when children were taught that we are 99.9% genetically identical, no matter how different we may appear, that appearance is just a superficial illusion. But that 1/10th of 1% is an important thing we call genetic diversity and that is what is responsible for life on Earth.
Can you say that with me?
Genetic Diversity.
Right.
Without it we would all die from the first cold virus that killed one of us.
Now, who wants graham crackers and apple juice?

Date: May 06, 2021 06:58PM

I think it's time to buy some Sitchen, Scat. You could do it justice.

Date: May 06, 2021 07:21PM

I wish he would do his Music Man patter somewhere else.

I wish CZ would MAKE him do his Music Man act somewhere else.

However many days of life we are doted, having The Cat CONSTANTLY invade them with his 'important to him' BS is a real pisser.

Date: May 06, 2021 07:03PM

>> "Imagine if we actually comprehended the meaning of mapping the human genome?
Racism would disappear when children were taught that we are 99.9% genetically identical, no matter how different we may appear, that appearance is just a superficial illusion."

If you truly believe that would happen, wouldn't your efforts be better applied to creating a learning center, on line or in a brick and mortar, where children can be taught as you say, and racism would disappear? Or lobby the school systems to include your curriculum. That seems like a better effort than constantly posting links to science articles here.....or are you attempting to drive out the racism on this BB?

Help eliminate racism instead of dwelling on a religion you were part of in the past.

Date: May 06, 2021 10:25PM

Posted by: RichardtheBad (not logged in) ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 10:46AM

Actually, Occam's Razor isn't that the simplest answer is correct. It's that "entities should not be multiplied without necessity". A better explanation of this than simplicity, is that the hypothesis that requires the least assumptions is probably the most correct.

Sitchen requires a whole lot of assumptions.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 04:30PM

I'm at a loss as to why people have trouble accepting that life could arise on Earth (as well as likely elsewhere in our solar system.) These same people have no trouble accepting that life might arise elsewhere, but somehow it can't arise here? On our beautiful planet with abundant resources, and ideal growing conditions in the "Goldilocks" zone?

Posted by: babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: May 09, 2021 07:53PM

The Witoto origin story: https://www.sacred-texts.com/nam/sa/cau.htm makes more sense to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.