Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: soutskeptic ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:07AM

As a lifelong servant of the LDS church, apostle Boyd K. Packer was admired for being a bold speaker, a dedicated teacher, and a protector of conservative doctrine. However, his outspoken condemnation of feminists, LGBT people, and intellectuals, among other actions, brought him plenty of scorn and controversy. His passing late last week leaves a glaring hole in the church’s upper administration. Tuesday, we’re taking stock of Packer’s life and legacy and asking how his impact will continue to be felt.
Doug Fabrizo interviews Guest-
Gregory Prince is a businessman, a historian of LDS church history, and a board member of Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought and The Journal of Mormon History. He’s author of the books Power from on High: The Development of Mormon Priesthood and David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism
Program begins at 11 AM repeats at 7 PM.

Listen live on the net:
http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/legacy-and-impact-boyd-k-packer

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:18AM

D.F. is my paramount radio interviewer, X 1000 regarding Mormonism. I can't fathom that he will allow a one-sided whitewash of the totality of Packer's life & heritage...

Doug will be 'impossible' to replace when the time comes, compare to sheeple, one-size-fits-all LDS leaders.

game on!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 10:20AM by GNPE.

Posted by: Liz ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 10:59AM

Besides his rants against humanity, I remember that quote above all others. Always seemed to me to be a charlatan's way out of being truthful.

Thanks for the heads up about the broadcast. Maybe I'll learn something useful.

Posted by: ElderCarrion ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 11:02AM

"impact" correct choice of adjective. It means violent hit.

I am too busy dwelling on love, and the treasures it inspires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZPA8fwp7PE

Date: July 07, 2015 01:53PM

Church is not going to like this interview. Hats off to Greg Prince for sharing his knowledge.

Date: July 07, 2015 08:03PM

Great program! Replays at 7 PM and then podcast.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 01:18PM

I always enjoy Doug Frabrizio he cuts to the point and brings out the important critical aspects of our culture. Packers impact was that he was an outspoken defender of conservative values, and part of the christian right, He knew what he believed and stood for in a political sense, which of course offended all the pinkos. Who will fill the void now? We just don't have these Glen Beck apostles anymore?

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 01:20PM

soutskeptic Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> His passing late
> last week leaves a glaring hole in the church’s
> upper administration.

I doubt this is true.

His expiration date passed long before he did.

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 02:16PM

I had never heard of Gregory Prince and when the thing started I was convinced the guy was a shill who would simply spout the party line. I now realize it's my own burning hatred and bias that made me think that. The guy was very articulate and careful in everything he said. It didn't take long to realize that truth and accuracy were more important to him than either praising or disparaging Packer. When(if) I grow up I want to be like that guy.

This wasn't very flattering to either the church or to Packer. It wasn't the 5 alarm burning I always hope for but there were several great points made. They didn't take many phone calls - maybe only one, but they did read a couple of emails/tweet things.

There was one guy who tried to defend and champion Packer and he did it in classic Mormon fashion by bashing and belittling those who were finding fault. I can't remember exactly how he worded it but basically if you don't love Packer and everything he said then your are a sinner and evil.

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 07, 2015 09:19PM

I really enjoyed this; because it wasn't all "He was such a great inspirational apostle". I also liked the fact that was pointed out that it wasn't only Packer, but also Benson and other staunch conservatives who brought about the end of the church.

Also the point in history has to be pointed out that inspiration and spirituality was also from the bottom up; yet Packer and Correlation had turned it to by Edict not by consent or majority rule. I didn't know how much Packer hated the Music which was not hymns and classical (I thought it was just my Mission President). I knew his hatred of GLBT, Feminists and intellectuals but didn't realize he hated musicians and artists also. He really was the Mormon Hitler.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.