Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Gordon B. Stinky ( )
Date: May 19, 2021 04:07AM

Someone mentioned a funny movie about an RM for whom everything goes wrong. I found it on YouTube and enjoyed it, so I wanted to share the link (and I can’t find the thread now):

https://youtu.be/YajJnFKtYp0

As an “antiMormon,” the only thing I didn’t like was the trite ending: that finally his perseverance paid off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 19, 2021 08:27AM

Sure, it's pro-Mormon and full of schtict, but they address LDS clichés and go to town with them. For example, the single Mormon chicks on a running tract, lined up for the starter pistol, ready to sprint for that engagement ring.

The guy who played the heroine's non-LDS father graduated magna cum laude from the Rodney Dangerfield School of Comedic Arts and Sciences, portraying the bewilderment of an outsider's encounter with Mormon culture.

Date: June 12, 2021 12:24PM

Yes, definitely hit all the clichés!

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: May 19, 2021 01:30PM

I had a hard time with that movie and never saw it again.Too many bad memories!

Posted by: snagglepuss ( )
Date: May 20, 2021 12:55AM

That chick the RM was chasing was WAY out of his league, and a honeypot just waiting to ruin his life.

I liked all the middle aged fat people at the MLM meeting. Looked so normal.

They sold his car. That's just such a "wow!" level of insult, and he takes it.

Posted by: Hervey Willets ( )
Date: May 21, 2021 01:06AM

Back when Will Swenson was still pretending to be Mormon.

Date: June 12, 2021 12:32PM

His character in The R.M. definitely seemed to only be pretending to be Mormon!

Looks like he's had some better roles. He's been in The Greatest Showman and Les Miserables.

Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 02:14PM

I hated that movie. I saw it not long after it was released and while I was still TBM. To be honest, that movie hit a little too close to home - even as a true believer. The RM did a good job of pointing out and making fun of all the clichés. But then it tried to put a humorous spin on it and wrap it up with a feel-good ending. That's what I hated so much.

There usually isn't a feel-good ending to that story. The cult uses and abuses you for 2 years, then you get home and find yourself 2 years older, completely unprepared for the real world, and without any job or romantic prospects. Post mission life knocked me on my ass pretty hard and there are a hundred thousand stories just like mine.

If you happen to live in Utah, have a supportive family, and head straight to school, then the RM tag might give you some status. Most anywhere else, people really don't give a shit. You would do better to never talk about it with employers or the ladies you might meet. Within the mormon bubble, you're given the idea that being a missionary makes you some kind of hero. The mission experience really sets up these poor brainwashed noobs with a lot of false hopes and expectations.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 12, 2021 05:06PM

> If you happen to live in Utah,
> have a supportive family, and
> head straight to school, then
> the RM tag might give you some
> status.

At the Y, being an RM made you a godling! White women were fighting each other to date me!!

(Okay, they weren't, but as Heaven and the lord Joseph Smith will testify, it was the most status I ever had, for practically no effort, much less accomplishment.)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.