Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Doug ( )
Date: July 12, 2015 11:09PM

My wife sent me the link from LDS Living dot com and I read about the Mormon Church's plans to "build a city of 500,000" in central Florida. I ventured further down and read the comments from the faithful. Some of my favorites:

"This proves the 2nd Coming is near!"
"I thought the Church was going to build it in Jackson County Missouri! What gives?"
"You think one city will be enough to hold all the righteous?"
"The Church is shrewd in its business dealings."

Unfortunately, the powers that be at LDS Living dot com have removed the story, but the original can still be found in the SL Trib.

Let me add that my BIL was the HR manager for Deseret Ranch for several years and we stayed there on the ranch, in the ranch housing provided to the employees where my BIL and family lived. That land is relatively useless and I don't care what they do with it. The parcel in question is 130k acres, some of which has already been leased to turf growers for a while.

That said, it never ceases to amaze me the LDS-colored lenses most morgbots see the world through, and that they actually thought the Morg would be building a RELIGIOUS CITY right in the middle of these here United States of America.

That right there's some funny stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pooped ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:47AM

Driving through Arizona I heard about a temple built in a tiny town, I think, called Snowflake. There wasn't much there and then the temple was built and then it became a sort of planned development for retired Mormons. Did it take off? I never heard much more about it. Maybe the brothers are planning a more upscale retirement village in Florida. Maybe they would even let non-Mormons too?

Posted by: Anziano Young ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:36PM

I was just reading about Snowflake last night on Wikipedia (got there via another article on UFO abductions; a famous incident allegedly occurred there involving some Forest Service temp workers). The temple is apparently built next to a golf course. And Arizona's junior senator, Jeff Flake (a Mormon) is from there and descended from one of the Mormon founders (Erastus Snow and William Flake).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 12:37PM by vman455.

Posted by: Pyewacket ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 07:55PM

Wow. We're any of the Travis (Dalton?) participants mormon?!

Posted by: dydimus ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 01:31PM

This made me so happy; yet a little sad/upset. Not because you didn't know "Snowflake" but rather how much Mormon history is in the Eastern part of AZ. How cities like Joseph City, Clay Springs, St. Johns, Heber, Taylor, Woodruff, Thatcher, Pima, Safford, (But now Safford has it's on Mini-Temple) etc... are just blips on maps, also written out of a lot of Mormon history because of all of the "Bad Publicity and History" of these small little Mormon settlements that stretched all the way down to the 12 settlements in Mexico (of which only 5 stayed). I grew up in Joseph City, AZ (part of the Snowflake temple area)

anyway there's a lot of Mormon history and stories good and bad (Edmund's Act, Post manifesto polygamy marriages, failed United Order, racism, etc...). Green Flake--The Black slave that was accepted by B.Y. and the church after the widow Flake gave him as tithing. Billy the Kid stealing from the Mormon settlers, Zane Grey and his irritation of the Mormons.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 12:51AM

dydimus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This made me so happy; yet a little sad/upset.
> Not because you didn't know "Snowflake" but rather
> how much Mormon history is in the Eastern part of
> AZ. How cities like Joseph City, Clay Springs,
> St. Johns, Heber, Taylor, Woodruff, Thatcher,
> Pima, Safford, (But now Safford has it's on
> Mini-Temple) etc... are just blips on maps, also
> written out of a lot of Mormon history because of
> all of the "Bad Publicity and History" of these
> small little Mormon settlements that stretched all
> the way down to the 12 settlements in Mexico (of
> which only 5 stayed). I grew up in Joseph City,
> AZ (part of the Snowflake temple area)
>
> anyway there's a lot of Mormon history and stories
> good and bad (Edmund's Act, Post manifesto
> polygamy marriages, failed United Order, racism,
> etc...). Green Flake--The Black slave that was
> accepted by B.Y. and the church after the widow
> Flake gave him as tithing. Billy the Kid stealing
> from the Mormon settlers, Zane Grey and his
> irritation of the Mormons.

A lot of bloody history to be precise. The unpleasant Pleasant Valley War of which Zane Grey wrote occurred there. My grandfather and great grandfather were living in Shumway at the time. My big sister has recollections of grandpa telling her of the shootout in Holbrook involving sherriff Commodore Owens Perry, who shot 4 bad guys in less than a minute and walked away unscathed.

All the associated bloodshed was the main reason Arizona was the last of the (lower 48) states to be admitted to the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleasant_Valley_War

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:56AM

so the game plan has been changed ?

Now instead of walking to Missouri they will now be walking to Florida ?

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 01:23AM

because the Lord moos in mysterious ways.

Posted by: brandywine ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 12:59AM

Pioneer children sang as they walked, and walked and walked...

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 09:36AM

That is a long way from Utah to Florida dragging a handcart.

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 01:41AM

Why do they need to move it to Missouri or Florida? Isn't the lovely SL Valley (and Morridor) that the racist as*hole chose OK for the ridiculously righteous? Or is it too cold for them?

One CULT to rule them all, one CULT to find them,
One CULT to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
In the land of Morridor where the Shadows lie.

Isn't the Morridor large enough now to accommodate all of the droves?

Posted by: Djinn ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 02:01AM

The move to Missouri is to fulfill the prophecy of the New Jerusalem and temple to be built prior to the second coming of JC to usher in the Millennium.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 03:58AM

Doug Wrote:
>
> "This proves the 2nd Coming is near!"
> "I thought the Church was going to build it in
> Jackson County Missouri! What gives?"
> "You think one city will be enough to hold all the
> righteous?"

> That right there's some funny stuff.

Lawlzies!!! So funny!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 07:43PM

But srsly, just to clarify, Property Reserves and Deseret has no illusions that this town is for Mormons. It is for whomever they can sucker to buy into it, even if they worship satan. It's a for-profit deal, after all.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 09:33AM

BAHAHAHAHAHA.

Rising sea levels will mean that most of the peninsula will be under water eventually. I hope the mormons bring flippers and snorkels. They are literally, building their house upon sand.

Central Florida is rife with sinkholes too. And vulnerable to hurricanes.

Whatever. Florida is full of so many weirdos and freaks, I don't really see how a few hundred thousand mormons would make any difference at all.

Posted by: 3X (nli) ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:58PM

Thus proving that Satan rules the waters - but why the hell would the Righteous want to move near his domain?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 11:50AM

Missouri gets too cold in the winter for geriatric GAs.
So now it's Florida.
Waiting out the second coming in warmth and comfort.

:)

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:15PM

You laugh. I have Mo relatives who lived there in the 1950s when the ranch was purchased. Gossip was that the plan was to give each worthy Mormon family an acre of land and a cow when the US economy collapsed.

Posted by: ASteve ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:44PM

Only ONE cow?

SMH.

I'm an eight cow kinda guy.

Date: July 13, 2015 12:59PM

An 8-cow guy is gonna do a lot of shoveling ...

Posted by: Void K. Packer ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:51PM

That's weird on so many levels. One acre? One cow? In Florida? To do what with? Live in independent perpetuity? Just weird.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:51PM

And the polar ice caps melt and it becomes "Waterworld"!!1

RB

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 01:11PM

Is that why they decided to develop it now? Sell it off before the tide comes in?

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 12:52PM

16 million people (wink, wink), yet only room for half a million ‘righteous’ ones.

That’s a lot of unrighteous people in that church. I bet that has a few people shitting their pants. I wonder how many will do double toilet duty to try and get straight?

YOU ARE NOT WORTHY!

Date: July 13, 2015 01:01PM

Only Second Anointing recipients will get a Florida recommend ...

Posted by: torturednevermo ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 01:04PM

Florida recommend. That's funny.

Here's your cow, and here's four water wings for your cow.

Posted by: fakemoroni ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 02:04PM

"Where's my mule, where's my forty acres?"

Date: July 13, 2015 02:38PM

:: snerk ::

I just pictured a pasture full of cows with water wings on and had to wipe diet Coke off my monitor.

Hilarious.

Date: July 13, 2015 01:08PM

Snowflake happens to be my birthplace although I wasn't raised there praise gawd.

That used to be a favorite golf venue but no way I could play there now with goldy Moroni casting evil spells on every shot I make. :(

Date: July 13, 2015 02:08PM

So are new handcart treks (to Florida) in the offing?

Don't forget your sun-block, trekkers.

Date: July 13, 2015 07:57PM

Walton. Not a Mo.

Posted by: dejavue ( )
Date: July 13, 2015 11:27PM

What's the difference between Churchco doing this and what Warren Jeff's did in Texas? Same Kettle of fish?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 11:27PM by dejavue.

Date: July 14, 2015 09:21AM

Very cool map! Thanks for posting!

Posted by: madalice ( )
Date: July 14, 2015 01:49AM

I know a family (3 generations) that all packed up and left Florida 4 years ago. They've lived there for over 60 years.

They've had it with the heat, bugs, hurricanes, etc. They all moved to the PNW. They love it here.

I was amazed they could do this. It has to be a huge culture shock. They seem quite happy about it though. I haven't heard anyone talk about going back.

Like everyone else, they think Fl. Is a nice place to visit in the winter. Otherwise, it can be quite miserable.

Date: July 14, 2015 09:26AM

Oh yeah, who doesn't want to live in a tropical paradise like FL?

When I cleaned out my ex DW's car after a she'd spent a month visiting down in Ft Meyers, there were little froggie skeleton souvenirs in the trunk and A/C ductwork.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.