Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: frank ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 01:12PM

Is this something members or leaders in your wards ever talked to you about while being a members in mormonchurch?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_anointing

I remember asking around about the second anoiting, when i begun to investigate mormonism and discovered more and more problems with my old faith..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2021 01:14PM by frank.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 01:20PM

All humans are given the Second Annoying at birth!!

But it's only good for eight years ...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 01:34PM

Yes, it exists but is not talked about much. Usually older devout members might receive this ritual in the temple. It is supposed to make their "calling and election made sure" which means they are for sure going to the Celestial Kingdom or something.

It's pretty silly when you think about it.

Be sure and look around on this site. There are lots of resources and topics so you can read about different experiences.

Posted by: loislane ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 01:59PM

There is a long thread on the SA if you look for it, plus an account of what it entails by someone who has been thru the ceremony.

Up until recently the ceremony of the Second Annointing was SeCretSeCretSeCRET.

But in the age of the Inernet there are no secrets.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 03:43PM

Posted by: Tyson Dunn ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 02:07PM

This was the kind of ward with old-school members, where our scriptural expert in Sunday School had the same surname as one of the eventual prophets.

Of course, back then, they still hadn't gotten that whole correlation thing completely worked out with the lesson manuals, so Sunday School lessons tended to go off the rails into McConkie territory pretty quickly.

Once Salt Lake started gavaging the membership with pablum, however, the deep doctrine dumpster dives dried up. I think I heard some of the deeper stuff a few times in my student wards, then almost never in my singles ward. And certainly not when I visited my parents and their ward as an adult.

I think the LDS are wrong in not letting the members have arcana to learn, because if the members do learn the deep doctrine within the bounds of their faith, it both shakes them when they find it, but more importantly, they go looking for depth elsewhere.

As an example, I remember attending a student ward out west, where during an over-correlated Sunday School lesson, a member went off on believing in the Rapture. After listening to her prate on and hearing some other members - including the teacher - give their concurrence, I raised my hand and then explained that no, the LDS do not believe in the Rapture, that the Rapture was an Evangelical Protestant interpretation of the Bible that postdates the "restoration" of the church, and that despite its rising popularity (pun intended), it was non-doctrinal as far as the LDS were concerned. I got some mean hard stares from several members of that class that day, but I'm sure I brushed it off as the "guilty [taking] the truth to be hard".

The main point however is that the members had thin gruel to satisfy their need to enrichment, and they certainly weren't getting it within the faith, so they had turned to popular ideas in their stead.

When the LDS were proud to own their peculiarity, they certainly had people diverge into their own sects - as we see with the countless polygamous offshoots - but the members also believed the deeper stuff with greater fervency and frankly they *knew* it better.

Nowadays, they don't know this stuff, and it's far easier in my opinion for them to be turned on by non-LDS, generic Christian and other parareligious cults' fads and trends, e.g. the gospel of prosperity or raw jingoism and nativism.

Tyson

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 07:33AM

Jingoism was new for me. Great word. Thanks Ty :)

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 03:03PM

I've had the second annoying visits and contacts from church people, third annoying, yeah, even unto the nth annoying contact with them.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 29, 2021 08:32PM

Blessed is he who receives eternal annoying.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.