Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cauda ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 03:39AM

Looks brutal. A satellite image on Swedish television shows that California is particularly exposed to the wave. It looks to go from Baja up to British Columbia. Around 200 people died the past days because of the heat.

Utah looks to be safe. How does a Heat Wave look in Arizona or New Mexico? Can not imagine the brutality.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 07:23AM

Utah is not safe. The heat is not as intense as elsewhere, but the main consequence- lack of rain water- is taking its toll. The reservoirs are drying up all over the West. The Great Salt Lake is pretty much a memory. Wildfires are sprouting up all over. So no, Utah is not being spared.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 08:28AM

It’s brutal here in Western Canada, where many don’t have air conditioning in their homes. We have basements, which is where many of us are huddled.

The situation in Vancouver: police redeploying officers for emergency response after more than 65 deaths:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-heat-wave-heat-dome-sudden-deaths-1.6084873

Snippet:

Police in Metro Vancouver say they've responded to more than 100 sudden deaths since an extreme heat wave took hold in the province, and the danger is expected to continue in the face of unrelenting heat still in the forecast over the next several days.

By Tuesday afternoon, Vancouver police said they had been called out to more than 65 sudden deaths since the temperature began spiking on Friday. Twenty of those deaths were reported on Tuesday before 1:45 p.m. PT — a typical day sees just three or four sudden deaths in the city.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 03:40PM

Emergency Services now reporting 233 deaths from Friday to Monday in B.C., at least 100 in the Greater Vancouver area, suspected to be caused by the extreme heat. Seniors are especially vulnerable and now some opinions are that they weren't advised or warned of the extreme danger to their health posed by the unparalleled heat wave. Plus, of course, there can be unexpected health crises, made worse by the heat.

Many are complaining about delays getting through to emergency services (9-1-1) as phone lines were tied up as well as there being a shortage of staff and vehicles. Undoubtedly, some casualties occurred due to prolonged waits for emergency assistance. People resorted to taking their stricken loved ones to local fire halls seeking help as they couldn't get through to 9-1-1 and/or due to prolonged waits for ambulances. Sadly, some of the ill folks didn't survive the wait and some would likely have survived but for the delays.

Unprecedented weather event, undoubtedly. I was hoping for some relief today but they're saying now it's going to drag on for several more days at least. I'm so, so lucky I don't live further inland. I just cannot stand the heat even in a usual summer. This is shaping up to be the most unusual summer to date.

Lytton (a B.C. community) has broken all-time weather records for three days in a row, today reaching 49.6C. Sunday it was 46.6C and Monday it was 47.5. 49.6C is apparently a world record. The previous record was held by Steele, North Dakota, at 49.4 (in July 1936).

Yow.

**Edit to add: Please see reply below this post which corrects my comment about the world record. I used a source that turned out to be incorrect. My apologies.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2021 04:34PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 04:08PM

No, the world record is 56.7°C (134°F) in Death Valley

https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/highest-recorded-temperature;

The record temperature for Arizona is 53 (128) and in N evada it is 52 (125) both recorded the same day

https://www.infoplease.com/math-science/weather/record-highest-temperatures-by-state

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 04:33PM

Oh, thanks for the correction. I should have checked more carefully.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: July 01, 2021 08:37AM

Village of Lytton, B.C., evacuated as mayor says 'the whole town is on fire'

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-wildfires-june-30-2021-1.6085919

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 01:32PM

A weather recording site near Forks Washington reported a temperature of 118F/47.7C to tie the record for hottest day in Washington history.

https://www.q13fox.com/weather/118-here-is-how-hot-it-got-around-western-washington-during-historic-heat-wave

Forks records annually about 120"/3.048m of rain.

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 02:55PM

Supposed to get up to 102F today in the Palouse (region in Eastern Washington and part of Idaho). That's cooler than yesterday.

I lived in Utah for a little while and I do NOT miss the summers there. The heat there was brutal in a normal summer; I can't imagine surviving a heat wave in Utah or New Mexico.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 30, 2021 07:15PM

Oo, eee, oo, ah ah
Ting, tang, walla walla, bing bang
Oo, eee, oo ah ah
Ting tang walla walla bing bang!

Posted by: looking in ( )
Date: July 01, 2021 12:16AM

I'm so done with this. You know how sometimes you flip your pillow over to the cool side? Last night I discovered that there isn't a cool side anymore!

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 01, 2021 01:25AM

It's a crime to leave your dog alone in the car in the summer time here (and rightfully so). It's totally legal to bash-in someone else's car window to save a dog or a child from a locked car in the Summer here. To stay out of trouble you have to: 1.) Notify the police first, 2.) Honestly believe that the dog or child's life is at risk, 3.) Stay with the dog or child until the police arrive.

https://phoenix.org/legally-break-car-window-arizona/

Several other states have similar laws.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: July 01, 2021 01:42AM

To experience the same unprecedented temperature highs in Phoenix Arizona that Seattle and Portland have experienced in the past few weeks, it would have to get up to 128 to 130 degrees here. Our high for the year so far is only 118 degrees. That's pretty normal for June in Phoenix though. We haven't seen any abnormal temperatures here so far in Phoenix this year yet. It's actually been cooler this year in June than many previous June time periods. Who knows what the rest of the summer might hold though. Last year, temperatures peaked at over 100 degrees for over 150 consecutive days. It was only 103 degrees here today. But with 30 percent humidity, it seemed far worse than the 118 degrees we had a few weeks ago which was much drier.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 01, 2021 10:53AM

Usually summer high pressure areas park over Utah and Nevada, but this one has parked for a week or so on the Canadian border. The temps have only been slightly above average in Utah.

The forecast is for the high to move east, away from the Pacific coast, then move south and west and park over Utah, so by next week at this time, Utah should be in the 100+ range statewide.

Utah did just have the hottest June on record. Maybe we can go for a triple crown, June, July and August. Go team!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: July 01, 2021 11:04AM

I was worried, naturally, but he tells me his city dropped 30 degrees in a couple of days.

Posted by: PHIL ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 07:27AM

What ever happens outside Tuscaloosa really doesn't matter .

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 03, 2021 09:44AM

I feel cheated out of spring. It went from frost worries to hella hot. I feel like this should be the end of August already.

It's gonna be a long summer and signs of drought are reaching Idaho too.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.