Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: normdeplume ( )
Date: August 26, 2021 10:08PM

Re: Which VERSION Of Joseph Smith's Fantastical 1st Vision Is Your Favorite?

I like the one from Joe's diary of Nov, 1835, because it suggests the event was a diablophany, not an epiphany.

I cite the LDS Russian translation which evokes the fine descriptions of demon assaults on monks in Gogol.

Дневник, 9–11 ноября 1835 года

... я предпринял бесплодную попытку помолиться; мой язык, казалось, распух у меня во рту, так что я не мог вымолвить ни слова.

... I tried in vain to pray; but it seemed that my tongue
swelled so in my mouth that no words could I speak.

Я услышал шум позади меня, будто кто-то идет ко мне. Я силился снова помолиться, но не мог. Шум шагов, казалось, приближался.

I heard sounds behind me, someone advancing it seemed. I again sought to pray but could not. It seemed footsteps approached.

Я вскочил на ноги и огляделся, но не увидел никого и ничего, что могло бы производить шум шагов.

I lept to my feet and looked about, but saw nobody or nothing which which could have made the sounds of footsteps.

(The last bit of course gives us to understand that the phantom had evaporated. "I saw nothing or nobody.")

I like this version for it confirms that we have on our hands - Mormonstvo, a Halloween religion.

A phony vision of spooks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Deemster ( )
Date: August 27, 2021 06:53AM

I'm aware of this account, and it has two possible interpretations - either that he was under attack and subdued, or that he was under attack and overcame.

Evangelicals have been pointing out the former interpretation for years, and Mormons have used the second on and off, even on screen.

"Nikovo i nichevo" - the Russian does sound cool here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.